• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Squippers on the flight line

I've got mixed feelings on this. On the one hand it's good to have greater flexibility and gives greater employability to squippers, who, from my point of view, always seemed to have a lot of time with very little work (easy to say that when I've never done their job)

On the other hand is this just hiding the fact we don't have enough TG1 to do the job? This will free people up to fix the knackered jets instead of downing tools to work the flight line.

Is this the beginning of totally merging squippers with TG1?

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
This almost makes slightly more sense than giving all the techies a gun and a one day a year training course to be a soldier.

Squippers are some of the most versatile folks around. From complex helmet repairs to sewing to dingy repairs they do such a wide range of tasks they were one of my goto trades when I needed anything odd fixing.

They always used to be incredibly busy but with a smaller inventory of kit there's probably somewhat less to do, and no Flt Sgt ever likes to see an airman (showing my age here) without a job to do.

They get to sniff all the good glues too!

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
I must say that I always found Squippers most useful especially for getting scratches out of my sunglasses, pork pieing my floppy desert hat, repairing tears in my dessie combats. Always helpful and friendly especially when a slab of something cold and refreshing was delivered with thanks for a job well done.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
I just hope it doesn't dilute their trade skills where they are too busy on the line to be the most useful folks in the RAF.
I must say that I always found Squippers most useful especially for getting scratches out of my sunglasses, pork pieing my floppy desert hat, repairing tears in my dessie combats. Always helpful and friendly especially when a slab of something cold and refreshing was delivered with thanks for a job well done.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The squippers have been one of the most forward looking trades in the last 10 years or so. Thier trade sponsor (or Professions Advisor as they are now) has played an absolute blinder making sure they stay relevant.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
What will happen when said cross-trained Sqippers get promoted within their own trade do they become Cpl Linies.

Best Squipper I ever came across was on an Italian Tornado squadron at Ghedi, he was an ace cook and sandwich maker and kept a mean coffee machine going all day. He was the ultimate teabar mechanic.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
On deployments I hung out a lot with the squippers on Jags and Tornados as they were attached to the Sqns rather than on the posted strength. The harrier sqns had them on strength and were fully integrated from day 1. They were, to a man (and woman) top folks who worked hard, played hard and were a huge asset.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Seems a rather large outpouring of love for the Squippers in general.
I must admit, every Sqn I worked on they were good people and never had an issue with them. Always took them some NATO standard currency when I needed the badges doing on my coveralls.

They have that air safety mindset about them to start with so with a bit of training they can be that surge if required for Line manpower providing they are supervised correctly.

Don't let the (b)adminers anywhere near our aircraft though, that is a line that should not be crossed! 😂👍

Seems a rather large outpouring of love for the Squippers in general.
I noticed that as well.

I don't have any issues with them and I'm sure they are capable of working on the line with the appropriate training.

Spearmint, you jokingly mention keeping the adminers away but is that an actual step too far in your mind? How about the bowser driver, if they have just done the refuel why not the servicing and see off whilst they are there?

Last edited:

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
I noticed that as well.

I don't have any issues with them and I'm sure they are capable of working on the line with the appropriate training.

Spearmint, you jokingly mention keeping the admirers away but is that an actual step too far in your mind? How about the bowser driver, if they have just done the refuel why not the servicing and see off whilst they are there?
Sounds like life on the old Search and Rescue Flights. Lineys drove the bowsers too.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
As a stacker, sometimes the only one, doing regular dets with the sqns I was occasionally asked to assist with OTRs - simple tasks obviously, like dropping the brake chute cans ready for the lineys to fit fresh ones. Always happy to help unlike some of my colleagues.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
As a stacker, sometimes the only one, doing regular dets with the sqns I was occasionally asked to assist with OTRs - simple tasks obviously, like dropping the brake chute cans ready for the lineys to fit fresh ones. Always happy to help unlike some of my colleagues.
Loved having good stackers, ours used to have a small stash of new uniform tucked into a LACON on det ready for when the inevitable short notice call to go and see the SEngo/Wobbly came and you needed to look half way smart.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
There is scope to have a lot of folk trained to marshal A/C in and out. The SAC Mover with me in Bahrain regularly did it as the Airport staff never turned up. Been a while since I did Heli marshalling, but pretty sure TSW still have that capability and is part of their training and have to maintain it.

And while it grates me the AAC have non Tech personnel marshalling A/C as the REME only fix the A/C. All be it that is overkill on manning.

But call me a cynic, have the SLT realised that we are at our limit and are now entertaining ideas to allow us to do more with less. Don't get me wrong allowing us to do more is good but at what cost?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I must admit, every Sqn I worked on they were good people and never had an issue with them. Always took them some NATO standard currency when I needed the badges doing on my coveralls.

They have that air safety mindset about them to start with so with a bit of training they can be that surge if required for Line manpower providing they are supervised correctly.

Don't let the (b)adminers anywhere near our aircraft though, that is a line that should not be crossed! 😂👍
Oi. Taking panels off Jags with the riggers on the flight line in Nellis or Gioia was my task of choice!

dctyke

Corporal
So are sqns going to get extra skippers to do this, on the sqns I’ve been on they always seemed to be fairly busy doing there own trade stuff through the day. A cunning plan for the trade sponsor to up the trade manning?

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Why stop at fixing jets? Why not put them in as airframe drivers?

All part of the ACE concept that's being rolled out, seems to be popular with NATO air forces at the moment. Small teams cross trained in various skills to be scattered in the wind should war break out and keep aircraft flying.

In my mind it's a case of jack of all master of none and the whole thing will fade away when the SLT discover the next great idea

Back