• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

State Funeral for the Last Tommy.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Here's another e-petition but it's for something worthy of making a fuss about...Once he's gone thats it, a part of our history condemned to the history books so we might as well urge the government to make a fuss of it:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/lasttommyfuneral/

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Gets my vote.......they need to be remembered for what they did for this country.

Crack on.................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

G

gemarriott

Here's another e-petition but it's for something worthy of making a fuss about...Once he's gone thats it, a part of our history condemned to the history books so we might as well urge the government to make a fuss of it:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/lasttommyfuneral/

This is one I won't be signing until I read Mr Patch's thoughts on the subject. I have read a great deal about him and his experiences and I am not sure he would want all the pomp.

just a thought.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
I'm in.
But I wonder if it's what HE wants. . . . . .

I don't think he'll know whats going on, do you?
As sad an occasion as it will be and as cynical as it sounds, it'll be another chance for the politicians to strut about mouthing off all kinds of platitudes about honour, sacrifice, duty and the Armed Forces, when we all know they don't give a toss.
Personally i'll make sure i'm at least along the route in best bib and tucker with medals on. My Great Uncle was killed on the Somme, so I want to be there.

Last edited:
Without wishing to sound morbid the old bloke will have passed on to be reunited with old comrades. Its also his family who have to be considered. They would have to deal with the media, interviews etc. Remember him for what he's done not for what the goverment want.

F

fergo

I read his book "The Last Fighting Tommy". I laghed out loud on nearly every page and practically cried the whole way through the last chapter.

I am not sure it wold be what he wanted. However, i do hope the occassion is marked.
As for is family he has outlived most of it.

P

pie sandwich

A few weeks ago I saw Harry Patch on the local news, he had been invited to re-open part of a university (I think), he came across as a very mild and humble man, who didn't want all the fuss. He told them of how back in around 1912 he had helped build the part of the building they were re-opening, and said how little had changed.

I don't think he would want such a fuss made of his passing, however much we think he deserves a state funeral.

Soupdragon

Piermaster
not very often i agree with a 'black and white' but yes, some acknowledgment should be made of him, what he represents etc.. but at the end of the day.... the old chaps family should be consulted...

good result Good Friday eh? lol