• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Support Equipment - Earthing

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Just been talking to one of the BAe Instructors here at Finningley, they have been instructed to earth all their aircraft staging around their training aircraft in the hangar. The reason given by Warton is because that is what the RAF do.

So is this done in the RAF?

Never heard of it myself but things may have changed.

Tinybeee

LAC
Policy on electrical bonding and earthing of aircraft and associated ground support equipment
In order to prevent the risk of fire due to arcing and personal injury due to electric shock, all parts of an aircraft and its associated GSE are to be electrically connected to earth prior to and during maintenance operations

Direct from the JAP100A

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
IIRC to times of old,when we were loading weapons,especially Specials,,the AGSE equipment had to be earthed,especially when transferring stores from one bit of AGSE to another.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
IIRC if you look carefully at any staging it will have earthing points and possibly cables too! They should be used - especially on digital type aircraft.

..and its a legal (fire) requirement for all aircraft staging, military or civil.

E

enginesuck

Bloody load of nonsense, how many time have you cut a finger on frayed earthing cable on a rizbridger ? i know i have a few times , never bloody connect them, must cost a small fortune to fit these cables to everything and they are never used ! apart from the main a/c earth whats the bloody point !!???

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Just wondered. If earthing cables are also GSE, under JAP100A, do you have to earth them as well?

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
So next questions ...

Can the earthing be daisy chained from one lump to another or does each item have to be individually connected to the earth point?

When they did the risk assessment for this stupid fcuking idea how many actual occurrences of things going bang did they have per million uses of AGE?

Allflapnofly

Corporal
Staging situated around fast jets on various stages of in-depth servicing - that are all linked to each staging piece via an earthing point ......Certainly reduces the risk of being zapped by wiggly amps......But alternatively, it makes one helluva trip hazard......

G

grumpyoldb

When have leckies worry about bonding?

This one never did.................... :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
"Normally" (as in real life) the only thing "earthed" is the a/c

Crack on................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
IIRC if you look carefully at any staging it will have earthing points and possibly cables too! They should be used - especially on digital type aircraft.

..and its a legal (fire) requirement for all aircraft staging, military or civil.

tell that to the QAMs at the MROs in various East Anglian civvy MROs.. Haven't even seen a bonding lead/connection on any Staging / Docking anywhere.. Even with the stuff at Debenough's H&S empire at NWI! LOL

Bond the A/C.. yeph.. Bond it on Fueling.. Always.. Bond the docking?? With what? LOL

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Agreed - I said "should be used" not that everybody did use them.

And the NWI crowd used to do it...when I was there.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Staging situated around fast jets on various stages of in-depth servicing - that are all linked to each staging piece via an earthing point ......Certainly reduces the risk of being zapped by wiggly amps......But alternatively, it makes one helluva trip hazard......
So that would be bonded to an adjacent structure then one (or more) is then earthed?

Shugster

Warrant Officer

I would hope to god that all of the ESD requirements have been met and then some. A jet can be anywhere in the World where bonding is a word that no one has ever heard of.

If you fit / remove a box you might want to wear an ESD bracelet if you're feeling keen, or you could just touch the A/C structure before touching the box.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I would hope to god that all of the ESD requirements have been met and then some. A jet can be anywhere in the World where bonding is a word that no one has ever heard of.

If you fit / remove a box you might want to wear an ESD bracelet if you're feeling keen, or you could just touch the A/C structure before touching the box.
Can you bond/earth yourself to an aircraft through composite structure?

Max

Sergeant
C'mon E.S. all the bonding cables I've seen on GSE in hangars have been rubber sleeved, Both Waddington and Kinloss.......... and as for cutting your finger...

Back