• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Support Equipment - Earthing

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
He's talking about the crappy wee ones on things like risbridgers, the ones that are no more than a bit of wire with a crock clip attached.

TARDE85

LAC
I would hope to god that all of the ESD requirements have been met and then some. A jet can be anywhere in the World where bonding is a word that no one has ever heard of.

If you fit / remove a box you might want to wear an ESD bracelet if you're feeling keen, or you could just touch the A/C structure before touching the box.

Why would you want to wear a wristband to remove an LRU? They have a big metal box around the sensitive bits. Just don't touch the pins. If you are removing a card then a wristband is required.

wolfy

Warrant Officer
Nice to see that correct ESD procedures as laid down in orders and guideline are being followed so accurately.

Craig855s

Sergeant
Bonding is a joke. Jets can take lightening strikes though the airframe and come away relatively unscathed (damage to screens and composites aside) yet we're afraid of a minute potential difference with zero current behind it "arcing" across from the access steps and staging?

And when it comes to LRU's you could static yourself up with a baloon or nylon carpet and touch the chassis of each and every LRU on the jet and you wouldnt make a single one flinch.

It's the same with fuelling (I always put the earth plug in but...) the amount of fuel vapour in the area is not enough to start a fire with a lit lighter immediately next to the coupling never mind any tiny spark you'd get from the "minute potential difference" between the hose and the jet..And the hose is bonded to the jet by the nozzle touching the coupling anyway

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Bonding is a joke. Jets can take lightening strikes though the airframe and come away relatively unscathed (damage to screens and composites aside) yet we're afraid of a minute potential difference with zero current behind it "arcing" across from the access steps and staging?

And when it comes to LRU's you could static yourself up with a baloon or nylon carpet and touch the chassis of each and every LRU on the jet and you wouldnt make a single one flinch.

It's the same with fuelling (I always put the earth plug in but...) the amount of fuel vapour in the area is not enough to start a fire with a lit lighter immediately next to the coupling never mind any tiny spark you'd get from the "minute potential difference" between the hose and the jet..And the hose is bonded to the jet by the nozzle touching the coupling anyway
I actually recall an incident with a Pembroke on 60 Sqn at Wildenwrath many moons ago that caught fire due to inadequate earthing during a defuel.

Remember, not all aircraft use pressure fueling systems and not all aircraft use kerosene based fuel!

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

These policies come from lessons that are learned the hard way. I'd say it's better to err on the side of caution, even if it seems a waste of time from your perspective.

Back