• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tech Support

Consider getting yourself some cloud storage - Microsoft OneDrive gives 1Gb free (100Gb if you use a Samsung mobile device and it's OS neutral), Dropbox also gives 1Gb for free, sure there's others people will recommend...

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Agree with the cloud these days, my good lady is forever having IT issues, these have reduced considerably since we moved into the cloud.

Might be slightly less secure, but it’s not like I’m storing the Nuclear Launch codes.

Also very handy for photos and saves a lot of hassle when using multiple devices or buying a new computer.

I think with streaming and downloading being the way I store a lot less these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
It does mate. I have already pulled off the C Drive folders. Do you have a rabbit in the hat? ;)

If you have copied the contents of the old C Drive your files will be there, it is just a matter of finding them.

Go to the location of the copied files and look for a folder called 'USERS' it is normally in the root of the C Drive (original HDD).

Once you have found the 'Users' directory open it up and you should see a folder with the same name as your old laptop logon name, open that folder and you should see a folder called 'DESKTOP' it will more than likely have a different icon to the beige ones you see most of.

Open the 'Desktop' folder and your desktop folders and files will be showing.

I was going to suggest you check the path that the Desktop was actually connected to - using RegEdit you can check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders and find where all the shortcuts actually go to. But then I remembered this was on your laptop which died so no use to you.

Was your laptop running Win 7, 10 or something else?

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you have copied the contents of the old C Drive your files will be there, it is just a matter of finding them.

Go to the location of the copied files and look for a folder called 'USERS' it is normally in the root of the C Drive (original HDD).

Once you have found the 'Users' directory open it up and you should see a folder with the same name as your old laptop logon name, open that folder and you should see a folder called 'DESKTOP' it will more than likely have a different icon to the beige ones you see most of.

Not seeing a users file from what I have copied. Will pull the HDD back out of the lappy and fire it up again with my recovery kit over the weekend. I thank you all for your advice :)

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was going to suggest you check the path that the Desktop was actually connected to - using RegEdit you can check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders and find where all the shortcuts actually go to. But then I remembered this was on your laptop which died so no use to you.

Was your laptop running Win 7, 10 or something else?

Original Win 7 with a 10 online upgrade.

It might be hidden...

In a windows explorer window click Tools (if you can't see Tools try pressing Alt) then Folder Options. Under the View tab there's a small section for Hidden files and folders - make sure "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" is selected.

Then have another look?

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

I owe you a carrot and mince pie sir. Found it and got the files back. God bless the Goat :)

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
thumb-3.jpg

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Every possibility that the USB port isn't supplying enough power to the DVD drive.

If you have a USB 3 port try that, they have a higher voltage than earlier ports.

If not look at getting a DVD drive with its own power.

New external USB 3 DVD drive for 15 quid. Sorted :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Back