• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Techies leaving

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
So, we have had the long awaited FRI which has probably had the reverse effect and alienated more lads than it has captured, apart from crusty old chiefs that would have signed on for a hand job and a packet of crisps. The professional qualification incentive that everyone is thinking twice about after the AIP F00k up. If this next AFPRB report is to recommend an Engineers pay spine how do we think it will work? incremental pay for years served? or tiered off into ranks?

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
I'm surprised nobody has picked up on what the Navy is doing.

£3 a day for Leading Eng Technician
£5 a day for PO
£6.50 for Chief PO & WOs

For those on the intranet have a look on the Navy Site, Galaxy Brief 05-2018.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
mad_collie said:
£3 a day for Leading Eng Technician
£5 a day for PO
£6.50 for Chief PO & WOs

This is causing an upset as well.

So now their newly promoted individuals are either getting a similar level or surpassing that of pay to their RAF equivalents without being nowhere near as capable or as driven to see things succeed.

And they wonder why all the good guys in the world of the new shiny thing are leaving or refusing to sign on regardless of how Orange looking that stick is. Things will not change until TG1 are financially recognised appropriately.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Quote function not working "Haven’t TG1 always been the highest paid ground trade? What more do they want?"

From my recollection it has always been that within RAF circles TG1 are the highest paid ground trade. Reading the goat in recent times this is apparently no longer enough of a carrot to hold onto staff. While your statement is true compared to their civilian equivalents it seems they regard themselves as under valued, this plus a perceived deteriorating conditions of service package, is causing them to jump ship in large numbers. Its probably true that not everyone who leaves instantly adds 20K+ to their salary but there are enough anecdotal stories on the goat to suggest that plenty have done that and more. Obviously you wouldn't post on the goat that leaving was a complete cluster that ruined your life and almost certainly some have struggled to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. However the number of stories on here of people whose quality of family life and salary have both increased since taking of the blue suit can't all be fiction.

Me I'm retired so chasing the dollar and salary ladder climbing is now of no personal interest whatsoever.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Techies have always felt under valued, the increase in Civ Air roles and high demand in similar industries probably make them feel more so.

Problem with retention incentives is that they rarely incentivise the people who would leave so you end up splurging money on people you don’t need to.

As I’ve said before, with most trades some will do better outside, some will keep treading water and others will struggle, that’s life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
If the techies are as good as they constantly say they are, then they will leave for much better paid jobs outside the RAF. All you end up with is the poor tradesman, the bang average tradesman, and those who are scared to move outside the bubble that is the RAF being paid even more for being not very good at their job.

These threads have been done to death, yet one question still goes unanswered from those who repeatedly tell us they are worth far more than they are paid:

If you are that good, why do you stay in a job that pays much less than civvy street?

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you are that good, why do you stay in a job that pays much less than civvy street?

These reasons spring to mind.

1 Job security
2 Worry about making the leap
3 Pension trap
4 You're not actual as good as you profess to be

and maybe even

5 Loyalty to the crown

Last edited:

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There isn’t really any pension trap left for any young ones anymore.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
These reasons spring to mind.

1 Job security
2 Worry about of making the leap
3 Pension trap
4 You're not actual as good as you profess to be

and maybe even

5 Loyalty to the crown

1. If I recall correctly, whilst there is a contract length, the current Redundancy Terms equate to 3 months salary, and could be implemented at any time.
2. Only worry if you are not sure you are as good as you say.
3. If the salaries quoted outside are correct then you'll make the money back, and more besides. Remember, the older you are, the lower your immediate earning potential is. Companies are less keen to take on 45yr olds than 35 yr olds.
4. My point exactly!
5. If they were loyal to the crown, they wouldn't be on here griping about being underpaid and threatening to leave all the time.

ERT

Corporal
I'm riding it out until the pension...

That's the mortgage covered each month, just means I can work part time after that to bring £1800-2000 a month home :pDT_Xtremez_27:

Ronsuddes

SAC
Techies leaving

This is surely a return to the 1964 Trade Structure when Engineering trades received a substantial Trade Pay addition.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
So you'll be looking for that £50k (pro rata) job ...

Depends on the type of work, if your good enough to get a good day rate then it’s doable, have to be good though to keep it coming in.

ERT

Corporal
£1800-£2000 take home, inc pension.

Don't need much, the wage of a top level SAC Non-Techie will do.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It won't leave you much for the little things which should make your life easier in retirement

Off topic I know but I would have thought that a Mortgage free £2000pm should do most people, I was advised a while ago that I (we, including Mrs Busby [yes there is one]) had more than enough pension lined up, £35k pa, to live an okay life as long as the Mortgage was gone and we weren’t subsidizing the kid, too much, couple of off peak hols a year and a the odd drink at Gin O’Clock.

ERT

Corporal
^^With the 20/22 lump sum, dump this into the mortgage and were sub £60k to pay off. Now, if we owned a house or not, we would need to pay "rent" therefore lets take this £60k and push it out as far as possible, say over a 22-24 year mortgage. This £60k is now roughly £320 a month... (remember, renting is more ;))

So, £1800-2000 a month income from part time wages, and pension. Minus the £320 for mortgage, another £100 for council tax, another £80 for elec/gas, then £50 for water... say another £80 for Broadband, Tv, Mobile Phone and House~Ins, £200 on a car... this will leave roughly £1000 to buy clothes/food/live...

Then, of course not forgetting "ERTs partner" income too... (£800-1000).

Yeah we can live.. :pDT_Xtremez_31: