• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

the new sac tech

• Thread starter Thread starter k9 fornicators apprentice
  • Start date Start date
K

k9 fornicators apprentice

having been involved in the "new fitters course" at tossford(please dont judge me), i am curious to know at what standard you recieve from your new technitions, on a personal not i have massive issues with aspects of the course, but as we are being leaned, i am sure this will change.

it would seem, in my opinion, that much of the practical work we supervise(please note, we dont teach), is a mini jag q course,i am curious as to the level of skill,particularary elect/avionic that these new breed bring(after being tossfordised),to the sqns.we all know what the official report will say, so i am here to ask the honest opinions,

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
having been involved in the "new fitters course" at tossford(please dont judge me), i am curious to know at what standard you recieve from your new technitions, on a personal not i have massive issues with aspects of the course, but as we are being leaned, i am sure this will change.

it would seem, in my opinion, that much of the practical work we supervise(please note, we dont teach), is a mini jag q course,i am curious as to the level of skill,particularary elect/avionic that these new breed bring(after being tossfordised),to the sqns.we all know what the official report will say, so i am here to ask the honest opinions,
I bet most of them can at least spell and start a sentence with a capital letter........:PDT_Xtremez_42:

B

Bucc Boy

The spelling and punctuation of our new generation boys and girls appears to be better than yours…….in general. Use spell checker or a dictionary, at least that way your average reader may take your issues seriously.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
having been involved in the "new fitters course" at tossford(please dont judge me), i am curious to know at what standard you recieve from your new technitions, on a personal not i have massive issues with aspects of the course, but as we are being leaned, i am sure this will change. it would seem, in my opinion, that much of the practical work we supervise(please note, we dont teach), is a mini jag q course,i am curious as to the level of skill,particularary elect/avionic that these new breed bring(after being tossfordised),to the sqns.we all know what the official report will say, so i am here to ask the honest opinions,

From rumours around the bazaars it seems some aspects of 1236 do need looking at. One individual even expressed the opinion that 90% of it could be binned.

However if you only supervise what they do rather than teach them HOW to do it and then base it on Q course rather than generic trade knowledge there is little hope the student knowledge will climb.

R

Real Slim Shady

K9 Df

K9 Df

For a 1st post what a pile of ****! So if you do not teach these guys and girls what are we paying you for? If the end product is bad you blame the people involved in the process - that is you my friend. A sad indictment of your contribution.......

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Trade Knowledge...Mmmmmh... Generic training..Mmmmh... Lets all do a civillian style Techies course for 2 years and do 3 years as a mech learning our trade. Jaguar Q course?? No. Your are teaching the most up to date aircraft that the RAF can use for such purposes.. We will not train our people to B1 or B2 standard cos they will do a runner.. Like 12 people will in 4 years when they get the chance to go.. PFI tankers ... Need B1's and 2 for them!!

I've had a beer or 2!

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Trade Knowledge...Mmmmmh... Generic training..Mmmmh... Lets all do a civillian style Techies course for 2 years and do 3 years as a mech learning our trade. Jaguar Q course?? No. Your are teaching the most up to date aircraft that the RAF can use for such purposes.. We will not train our people to B1 or B2 standard cos they will do a runner.. Like 12 people will in 4 years when they get the chance to go.. PFI tankers ... Need B1's and 2 for them!!

I've had a beer or 2!
Thank fekkk for that for a moment there I thought you were practicing your Instructor Selection test:PDT_Xtremez_42:

B

Bucc Boy

Did someone mention Beer? On a Saturday night? At 23:30?

I should fcuking hope so too!! It doesn’t cloud your mind it simply tells your little niggling inhibitions to do one, and then helps you forget!

Now fcuk off you sober cnuts!!

K

The spelling and punctuation of our new generation boys and girls appears to be better than yours…….in general. Use spell checker or a dictionary, at least that way your average reader may take your issues seriously.

It would appear that you may have been in an office enviroment too long, can you say with confidence that even though you new sac' can spell, that they can be trusted to carry out technical tasks with minimum supervision?

K

Sounds really usefull, just remind me where our Jag fleet is based these days ........

Crack on.....................:PDT_Xtremez_09:
This is my point, we spend lots of time on both Jag and Seaking

K

I can see that some office dwellers are caught up in trivia such as spelling and grammer, Well done you. You are really missing the point of this thread, or is it that you too have given up, like so many others????

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It would appear that you may have been in an office enviroment too long, can you say with confidence that even though you new sac' can spell, that they can be trusted to carry out technical tasks with minimum supervision?

I shall avoid the cheap shot about spelling and grammar .

But the course content you refered to earlier prompts a thought or two. Why do you use Jags and Seakings as training platforms? It is probably because, as other training places do, you have to use some form of fixed and rotary wing assets to add some semblance of realism to training , as not everything can be done in labs and on emulators. Jags etc. are available and don't cost a fortune to both aquire and maintain. Typhoons would be nice but work out a tad expensive. Hercs and others are a bit large to fit in 143 as are chinnies.

Secondly if you only supervise activites who in your place inparts the trade knowledge to the students as you suggest that you don't. Are you really saying that the elect/fairy knowledge base delivered to an AMM during the short training course they go through is sufficent to last an elect/fairy tradesman throughout his/her career. In jest it has been said many times over the years that being elect/fairy is easy. Now if all you need to know can be, as you imply, picked upon AMM course perhaps the old tales may in fact be based on truth.

Last edited:
Congratulations to 1235/1 & 1236/1

Congratulations to 1235/1 & 1236/1

I am sure some of these new techs will be mediocre, lazy and chopsy, some will be pretty OK and some will be the dogs bollocks and hit the ground running. In the big picture, there aren’t that many of these new SACts and the output from cosford will not have any real effect on manpower to this Mil airline for another couple of years.

My Question is what is going to motivate these guys to stay in the service when they completed their ROS?

Whether you like it or not the RAF needs this cadre of technicians, good, bad or ugly.
:PDT_Xtremez_28:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
You are really missing the point of this thread, or is it that you too have given up, like so many others????

I'm not exactly sure the point is that obvious.

Firstly, its probably a little early to be asking folks to gauge the success or otherwise of your students; has your first 1236 course actually graduated yet?

Secondly, you say you don't 'teach' you supervise. So what goes on in the classroom then, or do you just cell-size rather than front courses yourself? (genuine question, there are some who do this). But even cell-sizing practical tasks, are you saying they always go 100% right? And if they don't, what do you do to correct it, isn't THAT teaching?

TB has pointed out the rationale behind using jags and Seakings, but can you suggest an alternative to using these platforms as you appear to be so set against them.

But, TBH mate it sounds like its you who'se missed the point of what you are actually supposed to be doing as an (ahem) instructor!

B

Bucc Boy

• I don’t work in an office; I’m on a busy Squadron.
  • I didn’t say the new SAC could spell, I said they could spell better than you.
  • I would never assume that anyone could work with minimum supervision until I had got off my asre, gone out with them (many times) and let them prove their ability and worth.
Minimum supervision should never mean ‘no’ supervision so I don’t really see your point. New blood has always been a mixture of quality and cr@p, you get what your given and mentor them to the best of your ability.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
  • I don’t work in an office; I’m on a busy Squadron.
  • I didn’t say the new SAC could spell, I said they could spell better than you.
  • I would never assume that anyone could work with minimum supervision until I had got off my asre, gone out with them (many times) and let them prove their ability and worth.
Minimum supervision should never mean ‘no’ supervision so I don’t really see your point. New blood has always been a mixture of quality and cr@p, you get what your given and mentor them to the best of your ability.[/quote]

Nail and head mate.Without guidance and mentoring from good NCOs, even a technician with the best of potential will be unable to demonstrate their worth as an asset to their section. As with any system, the throbbers and shirkers will be quickly identified.

None of the first batch of AMMs we got, IMHO, were bad, they were all good eggs; the current lot coming through...well...time will tell.

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
tis normally the way. They hold back some of the best for the start of the new scheme, to prove its a success.

The question is will they be able to recruit, given lower payband for AMMs, and retain, given current morale in the service, plus wages in civvy street, the best any longer?

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
tis normally the way. They hold back some of the best for the start of the new scheme, to prove its a success.

The question is will they be able to recruit, given lower payband for AMMs, and retain, given current morale in the service, plus wages in civvy street, the best any longer?

Very good point. I for one wouldn't advise anyone to join the RAF as an AMM, the first 2 or 3 years just aren't worth it. In 12 months time we will probably see the re-introduction of DEs anyway so it won't be a problem. If the RAF start running an Artificer scheme I might be tempted to re-enlist, but I can't see THAT happening, can you?

Last edited:
K

koppas

Very good point. I for one wouldn't advise anyone to join the RAF as an AMM, the first 2 or 3 years just aren't worth it. In 12 months time we will probably see the re-introduction of DEs anyway so it won't be a problem. If the RAF start running an Artificer scheme I might be tempted to re-enlist, but I can't see THAT happening, can you?

Don't mean to interupt but I am re-rejoining the RAF as an AMM.

Why would you not recommend it?

Back