• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Suicide Box

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I don't understand how he's writing it if he hasn't supervised you for 6 months?

They seem to make their own rules up here. By the most they'll be seen abiding by the established guidelines but if they want something to happen the book goes out the window.

ERT

Corporal
I would consult JSP 757 for the 1st RO timings, and ensure the correct box is selected from the drop down (1st RO option). Its easy to change the "Dev" to a "Yes", however the Performance and Potential will not match it.

If the SJAR does depart as a "Dev", i believe it wont even pass the pre-boarders next year as you would be scored as a "C" Grade in the 2018 Board. If you received a "Yes" or above next year, you would be presented at the 2019 Board, where you could have Yes, Dev, Yes (old to new)...only then would your "i have the following comments" be read.

Webbo

Sergeant
JSP 757 Pt 2 Vol 3 (V1.4 Nov 16) Page 8 Para 3 states "The 1RO is to have knowledge of an individual for a minimum of 6 months during the reporting period before completing a report........" :pDT_Xtremez_28:

4everAD

Sergeant
JSP 757 Pt 2 Vol 3 (V1.4 Nov 16) Page 8 Para 3 states "The 1RO is to have knowledge of an individual for a minimum of 6 months during the reporting period before completing a report........" :pDT_Xtremez_28:
All they'll do is delay the sjar until it fits info the 6 month window!

kevster

LAC

The fact that the 1RO does indeed have a knowledge of you, could only be considered a bad thing when it comes to the writing of your SJAR.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Update:

Some of my suggestions have actually been taken on board and the OPG has been adjusted to a YES for 1Up. However, it doesn't quite flow off of the tongue and basic punctuation /spelling errors are still present. Although the Potential Box actually now reads like it has many examples of where I go next, he has still short changed me by 95 characters, that's one decent sentence to provide more weight. I even had a 3rd debrief by phone last night telling me to look at it, accept it and move on as apprently the deadline is this Friday before the Adminers move it on anyway. It still smacks of laziness on the 1RO to allow it to drag this far. The first debrief should have happened at least 6 weeks ago and not 1 week ago like it has done.

How can it be worded in the suicide box suggesting the 1RO needs a dip in his grade for subordinate development? If he is expected to remain in a Joint environment and continue to report on RAF Servicemen, his poor grasp of the English language, lack of awareness of RAF reporting standards and attitude to deadlines needs to be nipped in the bud.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
How can it be worded in the suicide box suggesting the 1RO needs a dip in his grade for subordinate development?

It cant - that is the job of his boss. In my entire career, I came across two Reporting Officers who had the balls to mark individuals down for their slapdash approach to report writing - both culprits were Sqn Ldrs and both RO's were Wg Cdrs.

A comment such as "Sqn Ldr XX has a high standard of report writing but can often submit them after a deadline which has caused embarrassment up the chain of command" was all that was needed to turn one guy into one of the most "on the ball" RO's I came across.

The other individual refused to listen to me when I told him what he needed to know rather than what he wanted to hear (ie, I've re-scheduled your diary so you will be doing the overdue SJARs this week instead of attending the AOC visit and rehearsals), and having used up his 9 lives, he was crucified in his OJAR by the OC Wg, who was fully aware that I had rearranged his diary to do SJARs, only to find it re-re-arranged!

Dazzy26

Corporal
Shame, guess I'll just stick to omissions then.

Could you not include some of these omissions on your front page as back up/evidence for your career aspirations? Use it as a bit of a lever to get your 1RO to accept the changes by agreeing you'll accept it as pass it on. Not the fully correct way I know, but you get what you believe is valuable examples in, which your 2RO will see!

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I can only relate to when I was in (70's and 80's but it doesn't seem to have changed much) In fact since the mid to late 80's in civvy jobs (not related to military) it is the same sort of thing. The only thing that seems to have changed is that Personnel Clerks have morphed into HR Partners.

Even if you are sh!t hot but the boss don't like you and he/she knows that can manipulate an assessment system and wants to make sure that their favourite yes man/woman has the best chance of promotion then they are going to make sure their favoured candidate is the one which has the shiniest review.

So I really don't know how I could advise you on this Spearmint. I think that unless your 1RO can be proved to be a numpty of the first degree and is also shagg!ng the one who gets (but probably doesn't deserve) a better write up and assessment than you, then it's a bit hard to move on from where you are.

My best advice is to get another posting or have your 1RO taken out before his review is submitted...

Gilbert

LAC
For the first time in my Career I am at the point were I feel I need too list off a whole load of non-emotive but factual information points to justify why I think my current SJAR is unjust in it's content and quality. For perspective, it was written by a Navy CPO who has not had daily contact with my work since February (We are (un)lucky if he graces us with his presence for the daily FOD Plod....) where he was the AV TM for approximately 2 months despite knowing nothing of the F35 and with no TM experience.

So, who's filled their suicide box before and can they, the management, change it's content without your blessing as I will be revealing events which prove this Sqn does not have a Just Culture. Off the record I have been advised by a highly respected SNCO that it would be good enough to have a copy land with enough force to break the 2*s desk at Wycombe......

Call him Spunky, he loves it.

If it's who I think it is, ouch. Good luck.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Its quite convenient that they give you a box to criticise the company that by a lack of solid direction you are on the whole afraid to touch?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Update:

Some of my suggestions have actually been taken on board and the OPG has been adjusted to a YES for 1Up. However, it doesn't quite flow off of the tongue and basic punctuation /spelling errors are still present. Although the Potential Box actually now reads like it has many examples of where I go next, he has still short changed me by 95 characters, that's one decent sentence to provide more weight. I even had a 3rd debrief by phone last night telling me to look at it, accept it and move on as apprently the deadline is this Friday before the Adminers move it on anyway. It still smacks of laziness on the 1RO to allow it to drag this far. The first debrief should have happened at least 6 weeks ago and not 1 week ago like it has done.

I don't think commenting in your suicide box about your 1ROs basic inability to use the English language will get you anywhere (correct me if I'm wrong, but surely the board would expect this to be sorted out by the 2RO and Unit before the report is finalised - if it's not it looks bad on the Unit).

I would, however, write a VERY DETAILED email to the Admin bod responsible for finalising your report, CC'd to the Chf Clk - any punctuation / spelling errors would normally be picked up during finalisation and either fixed or redirected to the 1RO/2RO for correction. That way, if your SJAR is finalised with lots of bad english in it, you may have grounds for Service Complaint if you've highlighted it (and can prove it - hence the email).

How can it be worded in the suicide box suggesting the 1RO needs a dip in his grade for subordinate development? If he is expected to remain in a Joint environment and continue to report on RAF Servicemen, his poor grasp of the English language, lack of awareness of RAF reporting standards and attitude to deadlines needs to be nipped in the bud.

Your Board wouldn't have any affect on your 1RO, so putting something like that in your suicide box would be fairly pointless. You could, however, use your SJAR as an example and take it up the chain - your 2RO would be first stop, but given what you've already said, you may need to go higher.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Oh it gets better.

It turns out that these 5 or so times they claimed during our 'debriefs' that it's been bounced back between the 1RO and 2RO to 'make sure there are no surprises' never actually happened. The 2RO hasn't seen any material yet either in a word doc or otherwise and it turns out they are not pleased that this is the first they've heard.

It's not often I can actually say I hate somebody but I genuinely do with this character, they're complete cretin with the sheer bloody laziness, apathy and 'spunk' in getting this report sorted. Short of burying them in the bloody desert, is there nothing I can do make sure they never report on an RAF Serviceman ever again?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I think the most you could hope for would be a Service Complaint - but to be honest, given what I've seen of the military in the last 15 years or so, all that would happen is that the individual would be moved on to another Unit, and the whole issue would be buried.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
So after several times with the report being bounced back and one occasion with it accompanied by no less than 42 track changes on Word (Got my arse fingered by the SEngO as apparently questioning such a useless berk in that way is rude....), it has finally reached a standard I am happy with. It also took a mediation session where 11 of the 13 Points I raised were enacted upon.

Of course, if he had done it right first time but hey ho........:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Last edited:

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
If it were me, I'd now be looking to get a posting / job change to somewhere out of that particular fcuknut's reach - wouldn't fancy handing them 12 months leeway to screw up next year's SJAR (by the sound of things, he might be the kind of guy to actively search out ways to write you down over the next 12 months). I'd also be using you SJAR debacle as justification, trying to avoid career foul.