• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time to get a new computer!

• Thread starter Thread starter Rich_P
  • Start date Start date
R

Rich_P

Righto, my PC had a catastrophic hardware failure of some description this evening. In short, the PC locked up for half a minute. Then the screen fuzzed up and I regained control. I went to shut it down, but it hung up again.

Upon hard rebooting it will not get past the bios boot up process easily, and the display is more often than not fragmented. I have checked the temperature of the system, and all is fine so it's not an overheating issue. It's getting on a bit anyway, and the hard drive must be approaching ten years too. :PDT_Xtremez_35:

So, I might as well use this as an opportunity to upgrade to a newer and higher specification. :PDT_Xtremez_17:

I do sometimes play games, and the ones I do play are games such as Armed Assault that are very system intensive. My previous (now dead) hardware setup could just about manage to run the game at low specs. Otherwise the PC is mostly for browsing the net, word processing, playing music etc.

Since I had last assembled my previous PC, the technology in computers has moved on a lot. So now completely lost in this new technology like the various AMD Dual Core Processors that you can get! Or things like PCI-Express slots that are faster than AGP! :raf:

So chaps, if you could pull together some sort of spec whereby it's basically a new computer (apart from maybe the monitor, keyboard and mouse that I may be able to re-use to save costs). My budget would be up to approximately £300.

Cheers,
Rich.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Rich,

Had a quick peruse of Ebuyer and came up with this:

1. Casebuy Black/Silver MIO 906-SB ATX Tower Case + 350w PSU
2. Foxconn P4M9007MB-8RS2H Socket 775 Mobo (mATX) Core Duo Support
3. Intel E4400 Socket 775 2x2GHz 800MHz FSB 2mb Cache Retail Box Core Duo processor
4. Crucial 2x1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM
5. Western Digital 320gb IDE hard drive
6. SapphireHD 2600 Pro 512mb PCI-E Dual DVI TVO Graphics Card
7. NEC Optiarc AD-5170A=0B 18xDVD+/- Rewriter Drive (Black)

I would guess you can reuse everything else you've got (unless its a dirty beige colour).

Cost: £304 quid including delivery.

Go for the new Intel processors whenever you can - they are superior to the AMD offerings (which incidentally are still very good).

I picked an IDE drive for you to save costs, but SATA-II storage devices aren't massively expensive either.

MP

Last edited:
R

Rich_P

That sounds like a sweet system. But I don't fully understand these new dual processor setups. I understand that they can give the effect of having lets say a 4Ghz processor if the software can take advantage of the two processors, but if the software can't then it can only get 2Ghz.

Now, my now dead PC had a AMD Athlon 64 2800+, and that was just a tad over 2Ghz in actual speed. Will I notice much of a difference between this new type of processor over the old 2Ghz if the software can only make use of one processor? Is it the cache that was the greatest limiting factor? Or will I still have the same processor performance as before if the software can only make use of one processor?

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
you old puter sounds exactly like it has the same problems as my peice of junk. turns out it was a dodge stick of RAMand a lose power cable to my hard drive.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
That sounds like a sweet system. But I don't fully understand these new dual processor setups. I understand that they can give the effect of having lets say a 4Ghz processor if the software can take advantage of the two processors, but if the software can't then it can only get 2Ghz.

Now, my now dead PC had a AMD Athlon 64 2800+, and that was just a tad over 2Ghz in actual speed. Will I notice much of a difference between this new type of processor over the old 2Ghz if the software can only make use of one processor? Is it the cache that was the greatest limiting factor? Or will I still have the same processor performance as before if the software can only make use of one processor?

My understanding is that the new dual core processors will come into their own with the 64 Bit Windows Vista. What you are saying about only enabled software will be able to take advantage is true. Also, a dual core processor is favoured by overclockers because with two seperate core, higher clock speeds will still run at a low temperature.

In a round about answer to your question, your noticeable speeds will be determined by:

1) What you are doing at the time, gaming will obviously increase the load (but notice the 512mb gfx card in the spec..)
2) Whether or not the software you are using at the time is able to take advantage of the dual core system
3) As you stated, the cache and the FSB of the old processor against the new one (2mb Cache 800MHz FSB according to website). According to the specs, the clock speed of your old Athlon is 1.87GHz. The new CPU can manage 2.67GHz with no overclocking, and realistically over 3GHz with overclocking and careful cooling ;o) It also only has 512kb of cache compared to the Intels 2mb.
4) The performance of your other components, hard drive, graphics card, optical drive and memory. The addition of the PCI-E gfx card will certainly take the load off the CPU during games.
5) The temperature of your case (and subsequently your components). Cooler components run more efficiently!

In real terms, I read on a forum somewhere a guy upgraded from an Athlon 64 3000+ to this chip and his DVD burn time went from 2 hours to a little over 40 minutes.

I'd definitely go for the intel chip, they just seem to have the edge over AMD at the moment, especially on the more demanding multimedia applications.

R

Rich_P

Okay, many thanks Monty! :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Cake or Death, the fault could be caused by that, but unlikely. Anyway, I want a new computer now. :PDT_Xtremez_15:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just as an aside Rich, although it's a while since you built your last PC, not much has changed in the actual construction - to be fair it's probably easier than it's ever been, the connectors really are idiot proof!

As always, it's the software that can have you tearing your hair out!

A

Albert Park

Just as an aside Rich, although it's a while since you built your last PC, not much has changed in the actual construction - to be fair it's probably easier than it's ever been, the connectors really are idiot proof!

As always, it's the software that can have you tearing your hair out!
I, personally, just install the OS, update any drivers and leave it for a day or so.

Once satisfied that all is ok, I then begin installing other software.

Keep an eye out for Windows updates as they're not always 'as they seem'. On occasions they can be a hindrance rather than a help.

If you find yourself stuck I'm sure there are plenty on here more than willing to help.

Good luck with your purchase (Monty's advice looks sound) and let us know how it goes.

R

Rich_P

Yes, I have much experience banging my head on the desk due to software problems! :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Anyhow, I've decided to go for a SATAII hard drive as there wasn't much of a price difference. Question is, do I get SATA and IDE cables with the hardware? I can't remember if they're supplied or not.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Yes, I have much experience banging my head on the desk due to software problems! :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Anyhow, I've decided to go for a SATAII hard drive as there wasn't much of a price difference. Question is, do I get SATA and IDE cables with the hardware? I can't remember if they're supplied or not.

Most motherboards come with a SATA cable bundled, especially as the Foxconn isn't exactly a budget one. If not, they are pennies anyway.

MP

R

Rich_P

Monty, I've just noticed that there's a sound card that's absent from the list. Is this because onboard sound cards are quite good now?

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Good point mate, if the board comes with onboard sound its fine unless your into professional level studio work. I never checked if it had onboard sound or not though!

R

Rich_P

Yes it has 7.1 by Realtek. Oh, and ow my wallet is quite a bit lighter now. :PDT_Xtremez_09:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Yes it has 7.1 by Realtek. Oh, and ow my wallet is quite a bit lighter now. :PDT_Xtremez_09:

I have a Realtek chip, it's perfect for general use. I think you've bagged yourself a decent system there mate...

R

Rich_P

Assembled, and big problem. The bloody thing won't even start, the switch does nothing. I have checked that I have connected the jumper connectors correctly (according to the diagram) and that they are. I have checked the power supply to the motherboard, and still nothing. I have tried connecting the jumper connectors to just how the colours are and match them up with the wires, still nothing.

Help!

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Assembled, and big problem. The bloody thing won't even start, the switch does nothing. I have checked that I have connected the jumper connectors correctly (according to the diagram) and that they are. I have checked the power supply to the motherboard, and still nothing. I have tried connecting the jumper connectors to just how the colours are and match them up with the wires, still nothing.

Help!

One question - is the socket that came with the case fused? sometimes new cables don't come with a fuse!

K

Kernow

Help!

Have you tried plugging it in?

R

Rich_P

One question - is the socket that came with the case fused? sometimes new cables don't come with a fuse!

No power cable came with the case, so used my existing one (and that cable does work).

Kernow, yes I have been testing it connected to the mains.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
No power cable came with the case, so used my existing one (and that cable does work).

Kernow, yes I have been testing it connected to the mains.

Hmm, sounds like you could have a duff PSU. You have check that the voltage selector on the PSu is set to UK voltage haven't you?

Back