• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Undercarriage leg problem

Actually I am not working on these on a daily basis, I have been asked to facilitate a problem solving event. These a/c do a number of landaways each day before returning to MOB. Not sure what the civvy term is but is there an equivalent to a T/R servicing? If so I'll look into seeing if the various lubes are carried out (by the crew) on these servicings.

Dirty Harry do you know why it is prone to expelling grease? Is it due to design, and have other operators increased the frequency of injecting grease via grease nipple to compensate?

These aircraft will get a PFI (pre-flight inspection) prior to every sector. Most flight deck are qualified to undertake and sign for these whilst downroute. No lubrication gets carried out on a PFI, it is mearly a walkround to ensure nothing is damaged, hanging off or leaking fluid and system levels are sufficient for flight. A more comprehensive inspection (daily check) will be carried out every night-stop by the Engineers at main base.

The lower shock strut bearing on the A300-600 is normally lubricated every 'A' check (42 days or 600 hrs) but the frequency depends on the operator. If the guy carrying out the lube has been over generous with the grease gun you will see the entire fescalised portion covered after a few landings. The bearing doesn't expell all it's grease until dry, the excess just migrates out. If this surplus grease is not cleaned off it will attract all sorts of crap and eventually congeal. Regularly cleaning of the legs can be a requirement of the daily check but even if it not called for, you tend to find most guys will do it as a matter of course (good husbandry and all that).

Is it cargo or pax? What type of locations are these aircraft operating in and out of? Somebody else in this thread has mentioned stress in the legs. This could also be a possibility if very tight turning circles are being done regularly by the crews when they have to backtrack down the runway and turn round at the other end.

Last edited:

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
It is cargo, and yes the tight turning circles may well be an issue at some of the locations. Locations are all Western Europe normally, so I doubt temperature or environmental issues play a part.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It is cargo, and yes the tight turning circles may well be an issue at some of the locations. Locations are all Western Europe normally, so I doubt temperature or environmental issues play a part.

Is this a standard A300-600 cargo variant, or are you talking about a more specific, heavily modified version of the type?

TW

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
we lost loads of messier legs through chrome plating coming off and they have a **** success rate of recovering them. To be honnest messier didnt give 2 s**ts as they are too busy knocking a380 legs out. Ours was mainly caused by pitting of the chrome through jetblast and then it seperating / causing a bubble.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
we lost loads of messier legs through chrome plating coming off and they have a **** success rate of recovering them. To be honnest messier didnt give 2 s**ts as they are too busy knocking a380 legs out. Ours was mainly caused by pitting of the chrome through jetblast and then it seperating / causing a bubble.

Well that is what you get when you put a turbofan in front of an undercarriage leg! LOL

Joys of the Leaping Heap!

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
It was the outrigger legs.

OK, then when you put an undercarriage leg opposite a jet exhaust then.. Nothing to do with operating out in the Stan? Possibly more to do with the age of the cylinders, can't remember it being a concern when I was working with the guys who maintained them (but it was 8-9 years ago!)

Back