• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unpensionables

Yorkie666

LAC
Some of you will be aware that there are a small number of service personnel who have been made redundant a short period prior to their Immediate Pension Point, thus not qualifying for their monthly pension. While they receive a lump sum for severance, this is a small value of what they have earned over the years and will not stretch very far in today’s world. Why should you be interested in this? For the simple reason that if the MoD can pull this morally corrupt act off with no friction or kick back from the masses of regular and reserve service men and woman, it will see the green light to continue this policy, or worse, for Tranche 3 & 4. I ask that you consider supporting this cause by reading, signing and distributing the e-petition. It needs 100,000 signatures to be considered for debate in the House of Commons. While redundancies are inevitable and appropriate in places, the compensation or route out of the service does not reflect the covenant that was agreed originally, or the job offer and acceptance. The fight here is not just for personal gain but for that of those who will face this stark reality. Some will not have a voice or rank loud enough to be heard in the future. If you decide to push this onto your colleagues and friends then the response could be overwhelming. Please do so. It was not easy getting permission for this petition to go live, please don't let it be a waste of effort.Pension Justice for Troops - http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/35949

Oberon305

Chairborne
Whilst I understand the need for redundancy programmes, I agree that this was unfair on those so close to pensionable lengths of service and as such I have signed also.

T

The Masked Geek

I always thought that once on a pensionable engagement, redundacy came with the % of the immediate pension that you had earned to date; i.e. your IP point was brought forward to your redundancy date...........Seems like things have really turned sour.

Max

Sergeant
Done, this was potentially me on Tranche 1 but thankfully had they picked me for Tranche 2 I would have passed 18 years and got an IP, I do wonder if that had anythign to do with me not being picked in T2. I knowat least a couple of compulsories in this unfortunate position.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Some of you will be aware that there are a small number of service personnel who have been made redundant a short period prior to their Immediate Pension Point, thus not qualifying for their monthly pension.

I know one compulsary who will be a mere 24hrs short on demob and therefore will have no immediate pension, when they ditch him, one solitary poxy day.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
There has to be a cut off point somewhere. If you offered preferable terms to those with 12 months or less to the IP point what about those with 12 months and 1 day?

On previous rounds of redundancy under APFS 75, those who had completed 17 years or more received an immediate pension of a % of what they would have got at 22. On previous rounds, compensation was far more generous and included payments for years done and years to do. Maximum compensation this time round was 9 months and the next one will be 3 months.

The biggest difference this time round regarding selection is the fact they have made a significant number of people redundant that didn't volunteer. If those selected were done so fairly and based on Service need there is no case to answer (apart from the level of compensation). On the other hand, if you believe personnel were selected based on cost that goes against the covenant and something needs to be done.

How considerate of them to allow redundees the chance to opt out of Reserve Service which has been extended to age 55+ or 18 years for those that remain. That really would have added insult to injury.

At least we have the chance to support the Olympics as part of resettlement!
The sooner we have a federation or some form of representation the better!

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
to be honest

to be honest

These are redundancies, not early retirement, if they are not at their 22 year point they have a second career to look forward to.
Sorry but the idea is to cut costs so that will have been part of the process I assume, it's not good but as said there needs to be a cutoff and the Tax Free lump sum payoff for not getting a pension balances it out to a point and the resettlement bonus.
Speaking as someone who missed out on the Big rises in retention bonus by 4 days!

Some figures
Sgt just short of 18 yrs, £82K SCP reset grant £10k. That's £92k for doing less than 18 yrs!
term grant @ 60 £15k and £8k at 65 (index linked I guess?) £23k tax free? with 4K pension at 60 rising to 8K at 65.
I reckon that's about £100k more than a SGT would get for his 20 yrs on the 2015 scheme

Last edited:

Yorkie666

LAC
If someone chooses to leave prior to a pension point that is their decision based on their full knowledge of the financial package they will receive vs what they would have received. This is non-voluntary redundancy where service person has accepted whatever the services have demanded of them with the covenant supposedly stating that they can expect "...fair treatment, to be valued and respected as individuals, and that they (and their families) will be sustained and rewareded by commensurate terms and conditions of service". Just to clarify the figures. A Sgt, High Band, Level 4 aged 39 who is made non-voluntarily redundant 60 days short of 18 years (where he/she could reasonably have expected to serve until their 22 year point and receive an immediate pension) will receive: SCP - £77,785 Resettlement Grant - £10,038 Terminal Grant at 60 - £14,070 Preserved Pension from 60-65 - £ 4,690 (total £23,450) Terminal Grant at 65 - £9,492 The total pot is -£134,835. For the same sgt who makes it 1 day past the 18 year point, they receive SCP - £26,167, Terminal Grant £25,800, Immediate Pension of £8,600 per year (a total of £223,600 for the 26 years from 39 to 65). The total pot is £275,567. This doesn't take into account the difference in pension from aged 65. For the sake of 61 days this is a significant difference (£140,732 over 26 years) to the individual who was expecting to serve at least until their 22 year point if not longer.

Max

Sergeant
These are redundancies, not early retirement, if they are not at their 22 year point they have a second career to look forward to.
Sorry but the idea is to cut costs so that will have been part of the process I assume, it's not good but as said there needs to be a cutoff and the Tax Free lump sum payoff for not getting a pension balances it out to a point and the resettlement bonus.
Speaking as someone who missed out on the Big rises in retention bonus by 4 days!

Some figures
Sgt just short of 18 yrs, £82K SCP reset grant £10k. That's £92k for doing less than 18 yrs!
term grant @ 60 £15k and £8k at 65 (index linked I guess?) £23k tax free? with 4K pension at 60 rising to 8K at 65.
I reckon that's about £100k more than a SGT would get for his 20 yrs on the 2015 scheme

Fair enough if the redundancy was voluntary but if compulsory then even though I don't think you'll prove anything I imagine there more than likely would be a correlation between those Made redundant and those not and who would and would not have qualified.

It really is a matter of principle as well, people have made a committment and mostly put up with being treated like S*it to continue the job they are in whilst being stitched up by the government to save what is really pennies in the grand scheme of things compared to the money they throw away on utter S*ite.