• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Work to Rule

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Gem, you were lucky then as we gained nothing but a whole load of heartache for ourselves that lasted beyond when we went back to work normally. Yes we lost sorties on the first day, but soon recovered by flying every time we produced an aircraft, it turned out that we actually flew more whilst working to rule than when we worked normally.

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Ming Mong, I agree up to a point but if you see my response to Gem you will see that it would not make one jot of difference and don't forget we did this when there was a lot more manpower available, so I would assume that it would make life harder for the manpower struggling to cope with normal working patterns without adding working to rule.

MingMong

Warrant Officer
Ming Mong, I agree up to a point but if you see my response to Gem you will see that it would not make one jot of difference and don't forget we did this when there was a lot more manpower available, so I would assume that it would make life harder for the manpower struggling to cope with normal working patterns without adding working to rule.

Totally agree with you PE.

Although working to rule might look as if it would highlight any problews that we believe we have, I can't see that it would actually achieve anything because the management would just find ways to turn things against us.

The only people who would lose out from these kind of actions are those who are relying on our support, the guys on the front lines in two theatres, a lot of whos lives depend on the support that we can provide. I think that with that in mind, most people would not back any attempts to work to rule.

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
The only people who would lose out from these kind of actions are those who are relying on our support, the guys on the front lines in two theatres, a lot of who's lives depend on the support that we can provide.

Ming Mong, that says it all really, I should have added that we were not deployed fighting wars with ageing aircraft in those earlier days that Gem and I mentioned.

G

gemarriott

when we did ours it was only ever to be a one day thing. We had been stripped of manpower when the tombs went from mudmoving to air defence and they had got it badly wrong. What tipped us into it though I cannot remember but the bosses gave us more bods rapidly. Nobody ever thought we'd continue after the one day we just wanted to show what would happen if we actually did the job according to the book with the manpower available. Just moving 20 kites to the line took up the entire swing shift's manpower as full towing teams, wingtip lights etc were utilised. Of co urse this was a snec led exercise with Sengo's tacit but unspoken approval

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
when we did ours it was only ever to be a one day thing. We had been stripped of manpower when the tombs went from mudmoving to air defence and they had got it badly wrong. What tipped us into it though I cannot remember but the bosses gave us more bods rapidly. Nobody ever thought we'd continue after the one day we just wanted to show what would happen if we actually did the job according to the book with the manpower available. Just moving 20 kites to the line took up the entire swing shift's manpower as full towing teams, wingtip lights etc were utilised. Of co urse this was a snec led exercise with Sengo's tacit but unspoken approval

Two things spring to mind:

1) Some Seniors appear to have a distinct lack of backbone (you know...the ones that are meant to be looking out for us)

2) There just isn't any "fat" manpower - wise to enable us to get more bodies in coveralls rapidly.

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
The F3 OCU at Coningsby tried a work to rule over manning cuts, increased flying and additional aircraft, it made things worse so they made the mistake of damaging hyd rigs/houchins to stop aircraft being worked, that back fired big time because it was along time before the aircrew or anyone else would go near one of their aircraft and the two Sqds ended up working extra hours to supply aircraft for the OCU trainees. Again nothing really changed except a few more blokes got posted in for a while and again when the two Sqds had spare manpower (Sqd deployments) they worked over there as well, though this was the norm not from their actions.

M

monobrow

.....but unspoken approval

Something which you would be hard pressed to find unless the Sqn management have a similar thinking to the lads wishing to implement it.

It would certainly be an eye opening exercise, but the cost of doing so, like ming mong said, has a direct impact on the front line. Something that no-one would really put their name to as it would more than likely reach the papers quicker than a quick thing. Perhaps on say a Tonka Sqn, but when the impact is so great on the front line, you'll soon be left out to instant abuse from all sides.

G

gemarriott

The major differences between a real work to rule now and the one day work to rule I was involved in is that ours just proved we couldn't do the job in accordance with schedules, it was never meant to be more than a one day demonstration, there were no fighting wars happening at the time, bosses were happy to listen. I don't think for a minute we could have or would have wanted to act the same if we were fighting shooting wars. Then as now our first duty lies with our mates' safety in combat zones above our own comfort zones at home. That isn't to say that the circumstances techies today face at home are comfortable or even justifiable, but the lads in theatre are always the priority.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Unfortunately it has gotten beyond the stage where a work to rule would do any good. The thing is though, we are now so short of spares and manpower the system is crumbling even with our best efforts.

My Squadron has undergone yet another reorganisation in an attempt to fill posts with bodies we don't have, and while I will do my best and ensure my lads do their best (we are directly supporting Telic and Herrick) it is not looking good.

The 'can do' attitude is just not enough any more, we need bits to fit and people to fit them.

U

Unkychopchop

Is anyone else close to initiating the techies legendary "Work to Rule" policy?

We are currently 'Robbing (Old School)" 60-70% of our spares on the new Herc fleet and I was wondering if the rest of our aircraft are having the same sort of logistics problems.

When I first started spannering the mighty k in 1990 this was a problem then, and it was even more of a problem when I left in 06. I felt exactly the same and no amount of moaning or chest poking did feck all so I decided to feck off to cosford where I currently have the easiest job in nato.
If you can put up with a plethora of ars3holes that work there, many have never been out of area, it is the easiest option as robbing brake packs at 3.30 am in the p1ssing down rain is a test, but standing in a classroom lecturing a bunch of bored geezers in the nice warm with regular tea breaks and no stress is the way ahead.
Give it up, go for the easy option!

P

Pan Warrior

RAF Copper

RAF Copper

When I first started spannering the mighty k in 1990 this was a problem then, and it was even more of a problem when I left in 06. I felt exactly the same and no amount of moaning or chest poking did feck all so I decided to feck off to cosford where I currently have the easiest job in nato.
If you can put up with a plethora of ars3holes that work there, many have never been out of area, it is the easiest option as robbing brake packs at 3.30 am in the p1ssing down rain is a test, but standing in a classroom lecturing a bunch of bored geezers in the nice warm with regular tea breaks and no stress is the way ahead.
Give it up, go for the easy option!
Them that do, do them that cant teach.. id rather be a RAF copper than instructor.:PDT_Xtremez_25:

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
I remember back in 1970 at Waddo on the mighty tin triangle, we had an ex Army engineer SNEC posted in who had been left a load of money by some rich Aunt and he bought a commission in the RAF and he became our new SENGO on the Line. After a week he put a letter on the main notice board basically saying that we were all crap engineers compared to the ones he had worked with in the Army and that from now on we had to “work by the book”.

So we did, right from the newest LAC and up to and including the Crew Chiefs. 1 hour Before Flights were taking up to 4 hours with loads of snags, only riggers opened panels, only leckies put power on, etc. It was bloody hard work but literally nothing flew for 2 days. Eventually after the new SENGO was given a huge bollocking by the 3 squadron Wing Commanders about no aircraft being available for flying, he removed his letter and put up a new one that basically said “ok you have proved your point, go back to what you were doing before”.

However, as Gem and PE have already said, those were the days of loads of manpower and no wars to fight (except the Russians, but that’s another story) so if you did one today, it would have a detrimental effect on your colleagues on OOA tasks and I doubt that you would get the support for it anyway.

All I do know is, that those of you who are working your asses off on squadron’s that are undermanned, have no spares and you still have commitments to meet, you have my greatest respect.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Slightly Off Topic

Its some admission that all engineering tradespersons arent working to rule and that it is generally acceptable to cut corners in order to make the flying program.

If the book says do A,B,C,D and E then it should be done. The problem is, with experience it may be ok to not bother with B & C so the culture changes and B & C is never done...why.."because we never do it"..all despite the fact that guys are signing for it.

The engineering managers are only too aware of what goes on and are happy for you to put yourselves on the line and sign away.

The solution is not to cut corners and get the new ways of working (like only completing A,B and E above) formalised.

That’s all very well when IPTs arent also stretched, changing schedules can take an age. So you are left with a choice between signing your life away or asking an EngO to allow you to deviate from the schedule. ...

I fully expect either an attitude adjustment or a swift move to a docs cell when I return to 1st line. I have no doubt I would be labelled as a trouble-maker, but I don’t see why I should sign for stuff I haven’t done - its as basic as that. At the end of the day, we are employed to work within the constraints of the system and that it includes.

U

Unkychopchop

Them that do, do them that cant teach.. id rather be a RAF copper than instructor.:PDT_Xtremez_25:
May I correct your terrible grammar pan warrior?
What you intedned to say was
Those, who use their brain and realise that the instructing route is money for old rope, teach.
Those, who slag off anyone for eventually realising that 16 years as a liney is enough, and that at some point everyone should have at least one "relaxed" tour, are known in the trade as b3ll ends!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
It really needs a very big-bollocked OC Eng to say "No Robbing at my place", and see how many aircraft are then stuck in the hangar/HAS.

Trouble is, there aren't any.

In my normal 8-5 job in the UK, the SENGO has tried to put a few long term dead a/c as "NO ROB"... yet when we come in on a Monday morning, yet again, bits will be missing.

Robbing, although not ideal, is a practice we will never end. Even our cousins across the pond do it as often as we do, as it doesn't necessariliy mean the system doesn't have the bits or can't afford them, just sometimes the system can't get the bits to you in time for the a/c to complete the sortie.

In my current job OOA, if an a/c falls dead awaiting spares for a few days then it does become a natural rob option. It has to or we fail in our task. We are working to rule in that robbing is an accepted practice, and although it does more than double the amount of work it gets the job done.

I do, however, draw the line at robbing seals and gaskets.... I have been told by an Acting WO (EngO on det) to do exactly that and dug my heels in quite a lot.... I won in the end thankfully after I told him he could ground run the aircraft and sign it off as I'd have nothing to do with it!

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
In the early 90's when I was on 6, we told not to use the line snag book, but put every snag in the 700. Can't remember why, it was deffo work to rule though. Might have been the idea of some cnut of a SENGO that we had at the time.
We were back to using the line snag book after a week!!!

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
A Lesson in "Work To Rule"

A Lesson in "Work To Rule"

Late 1975 - Tern Hill.
Night Flying Excercises for a pilot refresher course. 11PM hundred hours.

LAC Rigga is on Night Shift and so is his ex-Swinderby Flt Cmdr, Flt Lt Fisher-Pryce, who is returning to real-life as a SAR Whirlwind pilot after his 2-year tour at Swinditz strutting around as a Bollocking Disciplinarian.

Fisher-Pryce goes out to pre-determined helicopter and does his walk-round, returns to Line Office and bollocks Shift Cpl for "unattended" paint scratches on the "Divers Helmet" (yes, there really was one!) and demands another helicopter.

Cpl Steve is told in no uncertain terms by F-P that his lack of professional standards is jeopardising said jockeys life and is told to raise the respective job cards and "Get the fault rectified NOW!"

Poor little 'ole Steve writes out required job cards and walks into the ground crewroom and tells them their servicing standards are not right for aircrews safety and that they should raise defect reports for any faulty paintwork found as this leads to aluminium corrosion and therefore jeopardises the crews' lives.

Within 15 minutes all 12 aircraft are found to be errant, cards correctly written out and Instructors and OC flying told of cancellation of Night Flying due to lack of "S" a/c.

Chf Instructor and OC Flying call in to Line Office for a chat with Line Cpl. Nothing doing - Steve states the clarification of his errant ways and the subsequent corrective actions in course of rectification (waiting for the Painter to come in at 08-hundred-o'clock next too-late-in-the-morning).

It is now 0030 - only three hours to Beercall!
Nothing doing - Steve states his recognition of the error of his ways and will not lower his fellow groundcrews' standards or endanger crews for one more night.

Fisher-Pryce walks in to Line Office for chat with Line Cpl.
Cpl invites Fisher-Pryce to appologise to Groundcrew - small kerfuffle ensues between F-P and Chf Inst. Both approach Line Cpl.

Chf Inst states the effects of not completing this course and delaying future courses. "It's your safety Sir!" is heard.

F-P walks into ground crewroom and states his brusque remarks had a bad effect with Line Cpl - non-plussed groundcrew do not respond.
F-P walks in to Line Office and begs an audience with Line Cpl who is very busy (as he has no aircraft flying). An appology of sorts breaks out. Steve says he is happy - all cards are torn up and aircraft start flying within minutes - nothing was actually raised in 700's.

Beercall continues at 0400 (But without said student).

How to work to rule - best effective from an old git who plays Poker for paper Cash and knows the ropes.

G

gemarriott

In the early 90's when I was on 6, we told not to use the line snag book, but put every snag in the 700. Can't remember why, it was deffo work to rule though. Might have been the idea of some cnut of a SENGO that we had at the time.
We were back to using the line snag book after a week!!!

I can't ever recall using a snag book officially on the line but the only time we did use it was used by the nco's behind the desk and only on det for APCs and DACT etc where max number of sorties were the order of the day. Effectively though it could have meant major **** had we ever lost one since the snag book was in truth an unofficial log of ADDs the eng officers knew fcuk all about.

Back