• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

XP - DOS dual boot ?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I've been given an 'old' PC for use at my local Air Training Corps.. It's a 1.8GHz Celeron-powered Fujitsu-Siemens and it has come with Win XP loaded. It has a floppy & a CD fitted (very thin ones).

However, I need it to run DOS occasionally (we have loads of DOS-based programmes in the ATC).

Can anyone please advise how I can make it do both functions please? I was rather hoping to put the DOS stuff on a CD and boot from a floppy, but I'm not sure about accessing the CD.

We do not have the space for two machines in the Radio Room !

:S

"God does not play dice with the Universe": Einstein.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The Microsoft support article is here though you'll probably need the original XP discs and a full version of one of the Win 9x programs to create a dual bootable system.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I've been given an 'old' PC for use at my local Air Training Corps.. It's a 1.8GHz Celeron-powered Fujitsu-Siemens and it has come with Win XP loaded. It has a floppy & a CD fitted (very thin ones).

However, I need it to run DOS occasionally (we have loads of DOS-based programmes in the ATC).

Can anyone please advise how I can make it do both functions please? I was rather hoping to put the DOS stuff on a CD and boot from a floppy, but I'm not sure about accessing the CD.

We do not have the space for two machines in the Radio Room !

:S

"God does not play dice with the Universe": Einstein.

Ever thought about using a Dos emulator ? It might be an easier way of getting them to run without too much faffing about.

I have no experience of them but do a google and you will find a few, i found THIS one......have a look might make life simple.

Crack on.................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Major Geek

Sergeant
Can you not run the programs fron the cmd prompt?

Start, Run, type cmd, click OK. Or Command Prompt from the accessories menu.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Frustrating . . . . .

Frustrating . . . . .

Hey, I thought upon seeing the entries, I like the idea of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.
Has anyone played an old Infocom game called "frustration" ? It is worthy of the name, I promise. I was reminded of it when I went to Microsoft's website. It's only available via the USA (attempts in UK get re-directed). and I eventually pressed the "download" button. Up came another screen which suggested I go to the "download centre".
"CLICK";
ERROR: "Sorry this is not availbale" (or similar).

I'll have to see about System Commander later on.

But I got a DOS emulator of some sort, though ("Best of Old Games"). I look forward to trying it.

Thanks Lads.

:PDT_Xtremez_14:

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
I would also go with the Microsoft VPC 2007, great bit of software. I have Vista Home Premium on my laptop and use VPC with XP pro on it even connects to the tinterweb.

any help or tips you want on it let me know.

Studley :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I would also go with the Microsoft VPC 2007, great bit of software. I have Vista Home Premium on my laptop and use VPC with XP pro on it even connects to the tinterweb.

The true test has to be if it will run the best game EVER for a PC.....Have a look HERE

At the time the complexity and mission planning was second to none and even now would play very well if it worked on modern computers !!

Crack on..................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber

I'd like a copy of it, please. Does it only work under Vista or XP ?

:PDT_Xtremez_15:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
The true test has to be if it will run the best game EVER for a PC.....Have a look HERE

At the time the complexity and mission planning was second to none and even now would play very well if it worked on modern computers !!

Crack on..........

I never saw Tornado, but I reckoned EF2000 was pretty cool. Could be difficult to land at Gardermoen with half a wing blown off.

DOes it handle the USB joystick OK, or do I need the old 15-pin type ?

:PDT_Xtremez_26:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I never saw Tornado, but I reckoned EF2000 was pretty cool. Could be difficult to land at Gardermoen with half a wing blown off.

DOes it handle the USB joystick OK, or do I need the old 15-pin type ?

:PDT_Xtremez_26:

Now your asking !! Last time i played it my hardware was a 486-66 DX2 State of the art back on 1991-2.

I will give it a go though over the next few days to see if it is possible.

Crack on.....................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

8:15fromOdium

Sergeant
Hey, I thought upon seeing the entries, I like the idea of Microsoft Virtual PC 2007.
Has anyone played an old Infocom game called "frustration" ? It is worthy of the name, I promise. I was reminded of it when I went to Microsoft's website. It's only available via the USA (attempts in UK get re-directed). and I eventually pressed the "download" button. Up came another screen which suggested I go to the "download centre".
"CLICK";
ERROR: "Sorry this is not availbale" (or similar).

Ex Bay try getting it from here - I have had no probs: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...02-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

tonka

SAC
Now your asking !! Last time i played it my hardware was a 486-66 DX2 State of the art back on 1991-2.

I will give it a go though over the next few days to see if it is possible.

Crack on.....................:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Ive got a boxed version of this game in the cupboard!! I also got VPC a while ago too so i might be trying this aswell.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
microsoft's reply

microsoft's reply

I had another go at getting it. This is what I got back:-

We’re sorry, but we were unable to service your request. You may wish to choose from the links below for information about Microsoft products and services.

Is there something strange or am I doing something wrong ? Could it be something to do with my innexperience with Firefox?

::P:

PS. I suspect something to do with Firefox because as I write this, I have IE6 running on the other screen and it's loading. I think a bit of hunting round the help file is indicated tomeorrow.
Toodle - pip.

:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Last edited:
M

monobrow

A little searching around showed up this -> http://www.k1ea.com/hints/fdinst095.pdf . Looks very helpful and it's all Open Source stuff (a.k.a. free) shows you how to re-size partitions and make your very own fully bootable DOS without destroying data on your XP partition. (Note, doing something like this, it's always a good idea to burn off or backup any files you really don't want to loose.

To be honest, I've never found a use for dos that can't be delt with by the command prompt. If you need full screen for it then open command prompt and hit Alt + Enter, but good luck in your endeavour.

P.S. Please keep this on topic. It's Tech Support, not retro gaming chat...

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Another idea would be to bin Windows completely, install a Linux based operating system (this will also improve your system performance considerably) and use an MS DOS Emulator from within Linux.

There is also a Windows emulator for Linux based O/S called Wine.

I used SuSe Linux on a 800MHz Celeron I sorted for a friend a while back - started acting like a modern PC as opposed to crawling along gasping for memory when running XP.

Back