• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yeovil HND

S

Sooty111

I started the aerospace HND with Yeovil College last year just before I deployed. Whilst away I managed to some of the maths assignments. Maths isn't my strongest subject but I worked hard and got through what I have completed so far. There a few questions that I am now stuck on and frankly the help I get from the college is very poor. The answers they send to my questions me are just as confusing. Has anybody else experienced this?

The impression they give you is that it is a lot easier. I know its an HND and wasn't expecting a walk in the park, but some support would have been good.

I persevere and push on with what I can. ::p:

duffman

Flight Sergeant
They are better than they used to be. The online help used to be terrible, but they have picked up their game a bit. Although they are cheap, I guess you get what you pay for. Have you tried asking them when they come to your unit?

S

Sooty111

Cheers

Cheers

I have spoken to the college numerous times. I started it late last year and was then OOA for 4 months, which why I started when I did. They came and visited my unit whilst I was away, typical. Will wait until next time.

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Im just looking into doing this right now in fact. I know a fewlads that are giving it a go, im gonna try too as its a pretty easy HND with regards to so much time cut off, ideal for me as ive only got 20 months left

Max

Sergeant
What sort of questions then? is it comparable to the maths part of the old Fitters course?

S

Sooty111

Maths

Maths

The maths questions are a lot more in depth and complicated compared to fitters course, I managed that. It may be the case it has been so long since I have done this sort of maths. Like I mentioned maths has never been my strong point but if a persevere I can crack it. I have a friend doing his engineer degree at Cosford at the moment and he has helped a bit, but even he struggled with some of them. I am guard this week (nights) so will take it in and try a little more. I will also send another message to college to try and get some more definitive answers.

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
I am looking into doing this very shortly, luckily I have been informed of a few on the base that are doing this so I have people to go and ask. I having to do a Maths course in mean time before I start as its near 13 years since i been out of the Maths and Cosford thing. I am wondering if Im taking on too much with this and kind of worried as Ive never attempted stuff like this before but its my only shot at doing something before I leave the mob.

Sad git

Corporal
I started an HND and found the maths daunting and considered giving it up. ....... DON'T

I hadn't done any maths for 15 years and went to find my old GCSE books to recap on the basic, only to remember burning and dancing around them on leaving school.

The HND came as a shock with double angle formula and imaginary numbers to start with :0

I got 'Strouds mathematics' along with GCE and A level maths books and got stuck into them.

I recommend any maths books by Bostock & Chandler. They are well written with plenty of exercises and more important the answers are in the back. Don't forget yourtube also a very good resource. Plus pester the teaching staff that is what they are there for.

Remember you only have to pass the next exam.

I finished my first year with flying colours and was able to transfer straight into the second year of the degree course.

You can do it ......

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Thanks Sad Git, I was a bit like you on my FC I had done no maths like this ever at school but still managed to wing it with every night in the pub for 6 months at Fulton Block. Im doing a GCSE Intensive right now to get me up to speed but I know I need this really to give myself a better chance outside the mob and this is the perfect time to do it for myself in resettlement time as I got no other plans yet to do any more courses before I leave the mob.

Is it true a recent Q course can help with this and your resettlement grant can pay for for the 20% of the course, i have spoken to Yeovil and been sent the details but Im just wondering how my ELC pays for the whole course as I dont want to stump up £1700 but goes to £7500 end of may :/

sleddog

LAC
Should cost you £330 of your own money plus 1 ELC, and Yeovil accept post dated cheques should you want to spread that cost abit which can be handy. :)

Just about to start this myself. It's taken most of lads at work about 2years to complete. Thought the moodle website was supposed to be good, we shall see.

Coningsby and Marham have very competent assessers/advisors so they are alot of help.

D

DE Scumbag

HND

HND

I started this 3 years ago, it has taken a while due to the lack of support but I am getting there. I have nearly finished the Science and have completed the Maths. The point to remember is JFDI. Just F***ing Do It!. It looks hard but once you start tackling it then you find it easier. I got the books from Ebay, for no more that £10 each. Look on the internet if you need more information, there are Maths Tutor websites. I am afraid its teach yourself, but with application you will succeed. Good LuckOh yeah if you need to help give me a shout.

Ronsuddes

SAC
HND Yeovil

HND Yeovil

They are better than they used to be. The online help used to be terrible, but they have picked up their game a bit. Although they are cheap, I guess you get what you pay for. Have you tried asking them when they come to your unit?

I had a similar problem in Gibraltar in 1975 (Old Git). I took my problem and the correspondence course solution to the Education Officer who helped me change the base of logs and he passed all my material to Upwood and the RAF stopped using the college. Good luck!

iainrm

Corporal
ou

ou

Great advert for the OU, no problems with dets I actually did 2 exams in the Port Stanley snooker hall in 82.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I've nearly completed my HND in Electrical / Electronic Engineering through Teeside University, support is excellent and the work packages are pretty decent.

Maths was a ball ache but I got there in the end.