• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2007 Mechanic of the year awards

• Thread starter Thread starter welshwizard
  • Start date Start date

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
We had an American exchange Jengo at Lyneham (Larry Slussor, great bloke) and he told us that apparently schemes like this are very common over there. Things like, Shift of the Month with some 'kick-ass prizes'; he suggested we give it a try to get some good out of inter-shift rivalry.
The waves of cynicism and comments like 'we don't go for that sort of thing here sir', persuaded him to drop the idea pretty darned quick :PDT_Xtremez_26:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
We had an American exchange Jengo at Lyneham (Larry Slussor, great bloke) and he told us that apparently schemes like this are very common over there. Things like, Shift of the Month with some 'kick-ass prizes'; he suggested we give it a try to get some good out of inter-shift rivalry.
The waves of cynicism and comments like 'we don't go for that sort of thing here sir', persuaded him to drop the idea pretty darned quick :PDT_Xtremez_26:

I Like that you could give Airman of the month his own parking space outside the NAAFI.....:PDT_Xtremez_43:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What cack next, "Clerk of the year 2007"?

Maybe "The Movers Oscars 2008".

Shocking, at least try not to make it sound like something from the centre pages of the Scum.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I think it's a great idea and the winner gets to be tea boy for the whole month because he doesn't need the practice on the shop floor. To be fair he would have to be in the teabar the whole time to stop me drawing extra bits onto his geeky picture. Will he get a certificate?

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Many years ago...there were similar awards for mechs and techies coming out of Halton.

I remember someone being mech of the year or something similar and being posted to BBMF as an LAC.

Or is my memory shot?!

It depends on who the award is aimed at - trainees, or trained AMM's? If it's the former, then yes, there have been schemes like this already, but if it's for mechs that have already been trained then this is just another version of one of my bugbears - rewarding someone for doing the job that they are paid to do in the first place.

rhino

LAC
It was for trainees

It depends on who the award is aimed at - trainees, or trained AMM's? If it's the former, then yes, there have been schemes like this already, but if it's for mechs that have already been trained then this is just another version of one of my bugbears - rewarding someone for doing the job that they are paid to do in the first place.

W

welshwizard

No its NOT for trainees.
The document on my desk specifically requires nominations of AMMs that left tossford between Oct 05 and Apr 07. So it looks like a......."look what a fantastic job we did with these guys while they were in training". can we have some more credit please.......oh and can I have my promotion to Air Commodore for all the publicity?
Sad, political, transparrent, Zobs!

W

welshwizard

Thinking about it, the irony in this is if the AMM left tossford after Oct 05 (the 1st batch), if they were any good, they should have already have been nominated to go back for their 'fitters course' by now (12 months later). Only the dross and 'new guys' will qualify for this.
Great!

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Thinking about it, the irony in this is if the AMM left tossford after Oct 05 (the 1st batch), if they were any good, they should have already have been nominated to go back for their 'fitters course' by now (12 months later). Only the dross and 'new guys' will qualify for this.
Great!

Good point!! They'll probably be also awarded a good show for spotting an oil leak during a see-off or fitting an LRU correctly.::/:

6Fingers

Good point!! They'll probably be also awarded a good show for spotting an oil leak during a see-off or fitting an LRU correctly.::/:

Woah, woah, woah!!!

Fitting an LRU?
If we're lucky enough to catch the lazy b******s before they sneak off as soon as the jets are put to bed, then they get snaffled by the bloody riggers for wheel changes and that's it!! :PDT_Xtremez_14:

uber pikey

Sergeant
I changed a rotor arm on my uncles ford cortina when I was 13 and all I got was a f*****g lemonade! If these guys need an insentive then they should not be around aircraft or me. They get payed dont they?::/:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Seems this "competetion" goes further than RAF mechanic of the year 2007. It leads onto combined services mechanic of the year 2008/9 with the world skills show in London in 2011. I kid you not. Check out the linky thing.

http://www.cosford.raf.r.mil.uk/live/events/Mechanic_of_the_year/index.htm

It also lists the runners and riders so you can cake and slab them early:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Last edited:

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
What cack next, "Clerk of the year 2007"?

Maybe "The Movers Oscars 2008".

Shocking, at least try not to make it sound like something from the centre pages of the Scum.

How about Oscar nominations for the best performance in Det Dodging there are some crackers out there.

Having looked at the link i hope the the guy from Coningsby wins as he has a Cpl as a mentor all the rest have glory hunting Zobs hoping ti get their name in lights ( I will change my mind if someone tells me the guy is a chod however)

E

eezageeza

JEngO's as mentors for mechanic of the year? You have to check the list out on the Cosford website. I know we have been leaned but how many JEngO's are out there doing the servicings? Sounds like grandstanding to me!

davie77

LAC
I hope this is a load of ole cock and bull what will they think of next JT of the year lol....Oh yeah havent they all been promoted yet ??

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
I've stayed pretty quiet on this one but I feel I have to speak out. After having looked at the plan of events I was somewhat shocked and dismayed. It seems the lads/lasses are going to a place called ASL for their liney tests. It just goes to show that the powers that think up these circus events haven't got a clue. There are some people who worked hard to get us the recognition and name of 238 Sqn, and this seems to be a kick in the teeth for them. But then again when have those in charge always got all of the facts right all the time?

Time enjoy yet another leave ban..................

Happy days:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
I've stayed pretty quiet on this one but I feel I have to speak out. After having looked at the plan of events I was somewhat shocked and dismayed. It seems the lads/lasses are going to a place called ASL for their liney tests. It just goes to show that the powers that think up these circus events haven't got a clue. There are some people who worked hard to get us the recognition and name of 238 Sqn, and this seems to be a kick in the teeth for them. But then again when have those in charge always got all of the facts right all the time?

Time enjoy yet another leave ban..................

Happy days:PDT_Xtremez_30:

If it's the same Gp Capt F....... in charge of 'the circus', let him know your feelings. In my experience with the man, he would welcome your comments. He is without doubt one of the most level headed and nice blokes I've ever worked with.:PDT_Xtremez_28:

C

Captain Gatso

Ok, this latest pile of drivle is going to help no one. AMM of the month, year, decade? What possible benefit is it going to give, to the Techie trade as a whole. We don't need siht like this, we need schemes that are going to be proactive in keeping the experience we are so badly hemorraging, in the RAF. We need to keep the Corporal who has been in for over Twelve years. The sergent and chief who have been in for over twenty etc etc. These are the people the top brass have got to focus on. Recruitment at the moment is not the problem, Retention is.:PDT_Xtremez_06:

Back