• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Acting paid

The Logitician

Corporal
I have been given acting paid with no end date, hey good for me. My question is, as i am getting paid the wage, do i get full level 1 Cpl (low payband) or do i get a % just below it?

Thanks, different people say different things?

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
You will get paid at Level 1 Cpl mate. If your on highest level SAC it's worth about £170 PCM obviously more the lower pay level SAC your on. Hope this helps.

J

JPA_H8r

Acting Paid.

Acting Paid.

1st of all Congrats (i knw it acting but still)

It depends what level SAC you are on to begin with.

E.g (Im higher payband same effect tho)

When i was acting paid.

Im Level 9 SAC = Level 2 Cpl

Due to it being seen as a promotion you have to have a min 2% increase. therefore i went to

Level 3 Cpl.

Look on the pay scales and go like for like on pay (level depending) and if your level is = to cpl level go 1 level above.

What level SAC are you on if you don't mind me asking.

The Logitician

Corporal
Thats great thanks, all good, will check the scales on rafcom website.

Alll is good to get acting, don't promote many of us at the moment!

J

JPA_H8r

Promo

Promo

Hang in there fella those who deserve it will.

riffraff

LAC
I have been given acting paid with no end date, hey good for me. My question is, as i am getting paid the wage, do i get full level 1 Cpl (low payband) or do i get a % just below it?

Thanks, different people say different things?

If you are receiving Subs Pay (as opposed to coming off a prom board) then unfortunately you'll only receive Cpl Level 1.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Does that mean that if he was already level 9 as an SAC that he wouldn't get paid any extra for being an Acting Corporal? That sounds a bit tight but it does explain why we have so many acting ranks nowadays, there is no need to pay them any more, genius.

T

The Masked Geek

Before I got my 3rd, I was local acting and on subbie's pay. As a level 7 Cpl, I was getting level 3 Sgt pay.

Therefore, your substitution pay will be the same as if you had been promoted. Don't expect any increments though.

riffraff

LAC
Does that mean that if he was already level 9 as an SAC that he wouldn't get paid any extra for being an Acting Corporal? That sounds a bit tight but it does explain why we have so many acting ranks nowadays, there is no need to pay them any more, genius.

He's on the lower pay band so there is an increase between SAC Level 9 and Cpl Level 1.

If he was on the higher pay band he would go onto the next higher pay level above SAC Level 9 rate, what he wouldn't get is the minimum 5 % on promotion as subs pay doesn't attract this.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
He's on the lower pay band so there is an increase between SAC Level 9 and Cpl Level 1.

If he was on the higher pay band he would go onto the next higher pay level above SAC Level 9 rate, what he wouldn't get is the minimum 5 % on promotion as subs pay doesn't attract this.

Just a note of caution: please make sure you understand the regs fully before giving advice.

Firstly, it's a 2% minimum increase on promotion to cpl. Secondly, the method for calculating the entry level is the same for substitution pay as for paid acting rank. The only differences - as mentioned earlier - are that those few who get subsititution pay for more than 12 months do not get the annual increment, nor are they awarded seniority in the higher rank for when they are promoted in the normal scheme of things.

J

JPA_H8r

If you are receiving Subs Pay (as opposed to coming off a prom board) then unfortunately you'll only receive Cpl Level 1.
Well no that isn't strictly true,

As i when i had my SUPA pay i was SAC (T) Level 9 i converted over to Level 3 Cpl

The Logitician

Corporal
I have another question. I am aware that there is a 21 day qualifying period, well i am as of today. My question is, is that 21 days total not broken up? I have now done 18 days acting, and have had as of today, today off as leave, does this mean that i now have to start from scratch and my previous days do not count?

N

NATOStandard

Once you have done a 21 consecutive day qualifying period it will be back dated to the first day you commenced the duties of the Higher rank.

So as long as you get that 21 day in somewhere along the line it will go back to the very first day you started doing the job.

The Logitician

Corporal
Once you have done a 21 consecutive day qualifying period it will be back dated to the first day you commenced the duties of the Higher rank.

So as long as you get that 21 day in somewhere along the line it will go back to the very first day you started doing the job.

Thats great, so as i see it from you it does not matter that my 21 days has been broken up with 2 days leave in it, but as long as my previous 18 days from the 15th march up until my 21 (now23 days including leave) then i am qualified?

Thanks

N

NATOStandard

Thats great, so as i see it from you it does not matter that my 21 days has been broken up with 2 days leave in it, but as long as my previous 18 days from the 15th march up until my 21 (now23 days including leave) then i am qualified?

Thanks

No No No. you need to do a qualifying period, unbroken. Then it will go back to the first day

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Ok.

Say you start acting up on 1st of Jan and work for 18 days consecutively then have 1 days leave. Your 21 days (including weekends) will then re-start. You then do 21 days with no leave which would make it the 9th Feb. What then happens is the nice admin clerk makes JPA pay you subby pay and it is back dated till the 1st Jan. If say it takes you till the end of March to do a full 21 days with no leave then you will carry on getting paid SAC wages until the day you actually qualify then they will back date the whole lot until the 1st Jan.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

The Logitician

Corporal
Ok.

Say you start acting up on 1st of Jan and work for 18 days consecutively then have 1 days leave. Your 21 days (including weekends) will then re-start. You then do 21 days with no leave which would make it the 9th Feb. What then happens is the nice admin clerk makes JPA pay you subby pay and it is back dated till the 1st Jan. If say it takes you till the end of March to do a full 21 days with no leave then you will carry on getting paid SAC wages until the day you actually qualify then they will back date the whole lot until the 1st Jan.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Total sense now, thanks very much, will just get all the back pay in time for april tax, oh dear, all that back pay will see my tax go up, oh well, fingers crossed it works itself out!

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Total sense now, thanks very much, will just get all the back pay in time for april tax, oh dear, all that back pay will see my tax go up, oh well, fingers crossed it works itself out!

Mate it doesn't make a difference overall to the amount of tax you pay. Look...... if in Jan you were paid a bonus of £100 and it was taxed at 10% that means you would receive £90. If then in Feb you were paid £100 and were taxed 10% you again would receive £90. So all together you have been paid £180 and give £20 in tax.

If JPA didn't kick in in time and you were paid both bonuses together at the end of Feb so £200 which in turn was taxed at a rate of 10% again you would received £180 and have paid £20 in tax.

I never really understand why people think if they receive bigger amounts they are going to pay more tax overall????

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I never really understand why people think if they receive bigger amounts they are going to pay more tax overall????

It happens sometimes if you receive higher than normal pay early in the tax year. The PAYE calculator looks at your total pay for the year-to-date when working out which tax bracket to apply. So, for example, if you get your commitment bonus with your April pay the tax calculation will assume that you get paid that much every month and tax you at the higher rate. It works itself out the following month because it will average out your April and May gross pay.

Frustrating and not entirely fair it may be but this is how HMRC calculates tax deductions for more or less everybody with a UK tax liability.