• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aircraft you'd wished you had a chance to work on.

Roobsta

Corporal
Gem ,obviously not been in as long as you but add these to the list of the gone...JP 3/5. Andover, Vulcan,
Lightning,Jetstream,Phantom,Jag,Gazelle,Wessex and Victor! Alot of aircraft in only 21 years!!

And we know how you like to get dirty with any Tomb that comes to RIAt too. :-)

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Working on the Mighty Grey Hunter and a Bucc surely cant be much different !!!
:PDT_Xtremez_15:

So how many Microswitches were on the mighty whatever?

Buccs flew on them, they were everywhere and always needed resetting - A whole Chapter in the Vol 1 was dedicated to Microswitches.
Bomb Doors, Canopy, Seats, Panels, Wings, Airbrakes - all were monitored or controlled by Microswitches.
All accessible through a handy panel only 6 inches too far for your arms to reach.

That reminds me - the muckiest job in the world - Exhaust Pen-Nib Repairs - Soot everywhere.

Bernie

LAC
Bucc Bomb Door system...

Bucc Bomb Door system...

So how many Microswitches were on the mighty whatever?

Buccs flew on them, they were everywhere and always needed resetting - A whole Chapter in the Vol 1 was dedicated to Microswitches.
Bomb Doors, Canopy, Seats, Panels, Wings, Airbrakes - all were monitored or controlled by Microswitches.
All accessible through a handy panel only 6 inches too far for your arms to reach.

That reminds me - the muckiest job in the world - Exhaust Pen-Nib Repairs - Soot everywhere.

Oooh! that brought back Buccaneer memories! The bomb door systems had something like 27 m/s in it for the General Service and Emergency systems and just to make life interesting, when the bomb door had a fuel tank introduced, the access hatch was removed. Hand-rolling the door was the only way to reach all the stuff on the other side of the bomb bay.

...and I recall the door systems used "last-selected-position" hyd valves so once the door movement was initiated, you couldn't do anything with it until it finished full travel and you could sequence it back. Had some interesting side effects:

"Sorry about your mis-placed skis Sir but we're gonna have to drive the door right through them before we can open the door again - that's why we get you to stow your own kit"

sumps

Sergeant
There are those ones that have been mentioned e.g. Vulcans and alike but i would also have liked to work on some of the older stuff e.g.

The Bristol Beaufighter

Beaufighter11oClock.jpg

Any of the BBMF suff (but back when it was new)

BBMF1.jpg

OR Jets when they were new
http://www.deltaweb.co.uk/eagles/shows/lowestoft01_10.jpg

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
It'd have to be Lightnings or Vulcans, purely because of the stories that all you old f@ckers keep coming up with!!

For another reason, maybe Jags as whenever I saw them on det, the Groundcrew always seemed to put them to bed within half an hour of landing and head straight for the bar!!

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It'd have to be Lightnings or Vulcans, purely because of the stories that all you old f@ckers keep coming up with!!

For another reason, maybe Jags as whenever I saw them on det, the Groundcrew always seemed to put them to bed within half an hour of landing and head straight for the bar!!

Me too, we got laughed at by the Jag boys when we fitted a TIALD to the Carbon Fibre Death Provider - took us four hours. The Jag boys had it done in 30 minutes,. and that included the paperwork!

A

Albert Park

Happy days.

We only got beaten to the earliest knock-off, during TLP, by the Bubble and Squeaks. And that was only because they bribed the bowser driver with Ouzo.

P

Pan Warrior

Phantoms

Phantoms

Privileged to have worked and flown in the mighty phantom, would have enjoyed a couple of tours on the TSR2 & THE Vulcan.

P

Pan Warrior

Barriers

Barriers

I wish i had operated the barrier at Halton and brize Norton because it was the turbo hydraulic twin shaft 2 bhp Red and White aluminium Dream Machine.

Wrong page tossarian this is aircraft not barriers.

Shiny_Rob

Corporal
Any of them (I'm a clerk). My old man was a Rigger for 30 years and I always enjoyed going into the hanger to see the airframes in various states. I especially enjoyed the Vulcan and the Jaguar.

Sergeant
did a lot of exchange dets had a lot of fun with f104 starfighters see off/see in.
once had problems geting the candel to light for the reheat had to ring italy for advice and the up shot was hit the engine whith a hammer.in the end got it to light by rocking the throttel in and out of reheat. by this time jet pipe was red hot.i do have a soft spot for them as i managed to blag a flight in their t bird.

R

riggertoSTAB

Nimrods, Phantoms, then ended my time on plastic junk whoops sorry Tornado flick knives of the sky baaarf!

As a civvy I went back to work at a well known secret MU in Wales and worked on Jag wings, then Sea Harriers.

Would have loved to have worked on Vulcans or perhaps the Bucc. Used to see them low pass Kinloss during air attack simulations, heck they used to scrape their paint on the runway they were so low!

G

grumpyoldb

We also did 9 minute turn rounds at Deci on Jags.
Yes..........9 mins from brakes on to brakes off.

Bombs, ammo boxes, and fuel.

I also worked on F4's, Shacks, Buccs, Hunters, and Doms.
Vs would have been nice.

Back