• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Demotion to SAC

M

monobrow

Then you should do at least 3 years as an SAC(T) until you can go on a promotion board.

To be honest, I was expecting that to be the norm (being one of the earlier SAC(T) types) to fit in with the system of JT promotions. Ohhhh how wrong was I!!!

I know of SAC(T)'s who collected their tapes same month as the 4.5 yr bonus. But there are also some of us hard workers that don't go SNCO munching for 6's and specs!!!

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
I take my hat off to you MrMasher. You have an uncanny knack of pointing out the obvious, unlike alot of people higher up the rank structure that thought if they promote an 18 month SAC to Cpl ( there is one at Spud) the system will work. Blind leading the blind.
By the way I took the scenic route to Cpl, I might have taken a touch over 10 years to get here but hey ho. I got here and got my pension lined up now.

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Last edited:

The Panther

Corporal
Yet another reason why they should of never changed the mech/mech mech/tech system. I agree with Mr Masher and the others. if you can't be bothered with doing the distance learning then why should you get your tapes? I'm not even getting started on the whole baby SAC(T) Cpls out there, but i will say JTs still rule !:pDT_Xtremez_15:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I take my hat off to you MrMasher. You have an uncanny knack of pointing out the obvious, unlike alot of people higher up the rank structure that thought if they promote an 18 month SAC to Cpl ( there is one at Spud) the system will work. Blind leading the blind.
By the way I took the scenic route to Cpl, I might have taken a touch over 10 years to get here but hey ho. I got here and got my pension lined up now.

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Shortcutter!!!! Took me 11 1/2 years, ha ha ha.

By the way Eng tech El types, I do apologise for posting in here. I didnt realise it was in your bar until i'd posted it.
All the same, some valid points I believe!
Mainly, I fecking detest slackers who think that they are owed promotion and do nothing but go round bleating all day "when I get my tapes............."
At least now I can say to them when you get your tapes you'll have em just about long enough to give em back!

8:15fromOdium

Sergeant
Yet another reason why they should of never changed the mech/mech mech/tech system. I agree with Mr Masher and the others. if you can't be bothered with doing the distance learning then why should you get your tapes? I'm not even getting started on the whole baby SAC(T) Cpls out there, but i will say JTs still rule !:pDT_Xtremez_15:

'fraid you're wrong Mr P. They should never have changed the Mech, DE, Appo system. Everything since has been a complete case of Cake & Arse with various Eng Sponsors coming up with sub Baldrick cunning plans to 'modernise' TG 1&2.

My solution - there was this bloke called Trenchard, he wrote a memorandum - Eng Sponsor should read it. It was right then and it is right now. The time is right for ...

... The Return of the Appo's

(Yes it did take me a year to get my tapes)

Last edited:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber

Missed this one...........

Mech mech and mech tech system was absolute turd!

A couple of GCSE's make you a technician? I think not. How about some common sense and aptitude for all things mechanical?
The same goes for appo's!!!!

How about...............

1. We join up in the trade we want to be in.
2. Then we get some basic trade training
3. Then we get posted and gain experience in our chosen trade.
4. We do a minimum amount of time and gain yearly assessments in our first post before becoming eligible for entry onto a further training course.
5. Attend a further training course which gains a technical qualification thus enabling the person to be a "technician"
6. Posting time. Minimum time period/assessments and a minimum of two different tours before becoming eligible for promotion board. The minimum of 2 tours to promote experience of other camps/practices for potential NCO's.
7. JMLC and TMT.
8. Posting elsewhere upon promotion of Cpl.
9. And so on throught out the ranks but without the 2 tour minimum for potential SNCO promotions. They should have gained the experience through time served (unlike the cheating air traffickers!!****** )

Any thoughts?

The Panther

Corporal
Gents I bow down to your greater knowledge, being a smalley i can only base my comments on the events/systems i have experianced. As a mech/mech myself i done alright and now i'm off somewhere else where i will get paid better for my abilities.

Do you think they will ever get the teckie system sorted ?

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Gents I bow down to your greater knowledge, being a smalley i can only base my comments on the events/systems i have experianced. As a mech/mech myself i done alright and now i'm off somewhere else where i will get paid better for my abilities.

Do you think they will ever get the teckie system sorted ?

Up until a few years ago it was fine, and worked well.

I dont think there is a way back from the current situation.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
As far as I am concerned (kicks over the apple cart) they shouldnt even be SAC(T)'s if they dont have their qualifications.
When they used to send out proper technicians thay came with BTEC's and some previous experience. These days we get half trained unqualified mechanics.
You should be an SAC until you have done your NVQ, BTEC and key skills. Simple as that.
Then you may become a technician ( SAC with the (T) for technician!)
Then you should do at least 3 years as an SAC(T) until you can go on a promotion board.
Not like the absolute pr1cks I see who have their tapes and have been in for less than say 5 years and couldnt command themselves out of bed, let alone anyone else.
Dont get me wrong here. I am not saying that all of the SAC(T)'s are sh1ite, much in the same way (hate to admit it) that some of the appos were ok.
But lets be honest here, the system is absolutely rubbish and has been altered too much too often.
I supervise several SAC(T)'s at work and to think that their next rung up the ladder is my rank!!!!!!
Its not just a rank thing. Its also tech knowledge and experience. Who do they come to? Thats right, the Cpl's. What happens when it's them as Cpl's and someone comes to them with a problem?

rant over sorry if offence is cause wrong section etc
Something needs to change...............................

i agree with most of the things said here. Being one of god special SAC(T)children myself, i actually got off my arse and did my NVQ BTEC etc and got my AMA.

Wot gets my back up is when old sweats who are quite right to be mildly annoyed that they havent been promoted, keep saying well i should of been promoted not him cos i've been in longer. I understand that people dont bother anymore if they have, but unfortunatly thats counter productive and shooting them selves in the foot. The ones that i have worked with that do this are quite frankly whinging oxygen thiefs who cant even wipe their own rear end, let alone be trusted to supervise someone. one i know got his actings as a kick up the arse , but still carried on like he used to, being late no commitment etc. I have found that the ones that dont whinge are the ones that should of been promoted and thats just life and ****e happens.

Promotion in my humble eyes is something that is EARNT and not a given. and that should be based ONLY upon you abliity to do you job NOT cos you spend one day a week at work and the rest studying/secondry duties. That is the most annoying thing there is. As for tech knowledge well you may know everything about tornado for example butget posted to chinooks, OOPS LAC time for a while you learn, but you still ahve the basic skill sets paperwork etc. but go to tornado your a god. its all swings and roundabouts.
And sadly the way the rank system is at the minute CPL is my next rank. i dont make the rules i follow em. personally i dont want it yet but if offered ill take it as i cant go up anymore paybands now. lifes a bitch

Last edited:

The Panther

Corporal
Not whilst there are a bunch of useless to55ers in charge who look out for number1.

Good luck in the future mate.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

100% agree with you on that one Mr Masher, i took the only route that makes a point, vote with your feet. Best of luck to everyone staying in the mob, its a real shame the way things are going, you people deserve so much better.

IHateTCW

LAC
i agree with most of the things said here. Being one of god special SAC(T)children myself, i actually got off my arse and did my NVQ BTEC etc and got my AMA.

Wot gets my back up is when old sweats who are quite right to be mildly annoyed that they havent been promoted, keep saying well i should of been promoted not him cos i've been in longer. I understand that people dont bother anymore if they have, but unfortunatly thats counter productive and shooting them selves in the foot. The ones that i have worked with that do this are quite frankly whinging oxygen thiefs who cant even wipe their own rear end, let alone be trusted to supervise someone. one i know got his actings as a kick up the arse , but still carried on like he used to, being late no commitment etc. I have found that the ones that dont whinge are the ones that should of been promoted and thats just life and ****e happens.

Promotion in my humble eyes is something that is EARNT and not a given. and that should be based ONLY upon you abliity to do you job NOT cos you spend one day a week at work and the rest studying/secondry duties. That is the most annoying thing there is. As for tech knowledge well you may know everything about tornado for example butget posted to chinooks, OOPS LAC time for a while you learn, but you still ahve the basic skill sets paperwork etc. but go to tornado your a god. its all swings and roundabouts.
And sadly the way the rank system is at the minute CPL is my next rank. i dont make the rules i follow em. personally i dont want it yet but if offered ill take it as i cant go up anymore paybands now. lifes a bitch

That may be true for a small minority but when you have been acting cpl OOA spent the past 4 yrs getting reccomended for promotion (not to mention the 3yrs needed to be reccomended for Further Training) and then have someone two years out of training overtake you can be a wee bit soul destroying. You also say promotion should be earnt and not a given, the whole point of this thread was to say that lads (or lassies) that couldnt be arsed to get their BTEC were getting their tapes stripped off them.

M

monobrow

Prepare for incoming mono, and an explanation of peanuts.

Off Topic They are them small salted things Off Topic

OK then, NON A/C Techies. If it's below TG2 then pfffffff whatever! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

(just kidding!)

OK..Igiveup

Corporal
same difference

same difference

Yup, it'll probably end up being a very very big contract to BAE :pDT_Xtremez_42: (sorry, forgot this is the peanuts section again)

Dont bite dont bite dont bite dont bite.......AAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH
I aint no Peanut!!!!!!!

By the way substitute EADS and serco for BAE and you will be about right.

I think the Mech/ DE route was the best (I am biased) a few GCSEs at the time showed an ability to learn hence why DEs are better than mechs
Cpls now just seem to be doing the JT job. I dont seem to have changed responsabilities now from my first shift as JT a decade ago, looking after an SAC, I just look after (support) a few junior Cpls.

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
Exactly the ones that didnt do their BTEC should not have been promoted as they hadnt completed the a component that made them elidgeable and therfore did not earn their promotion. it was given. someone who had all the required ticks in the box should have been promoted.

but as said in an earyer post some courses didnt have to have their btec for promotion, this could be a massive system/jpa cockup. which probably more likely the answer.

rugby then work

Cider Drinker
Yup, it'll probably end up being a very very big contract to BAE :pDT_Xtremez_42: (sorry, forgot this is the peanuts section again)

For BAE substitute DCSA and your not far wrong.

I'll take it you're not trying to provoke but OH MY GOD this is NOT the peanut section.

Eng TECH ie TG3, probably the worst insult you could give us is to call us peanuts. ::/:

Beaten to it but the point stands

Last edited:

rugby then work

Cider Drinker
Been looking into the requirements for promotion as it's SAC assessment time at the moment and I thought all the SAC's needed to complete the distance learning package for their BTEC before being eligible for promotion (been out of the loop for the last 3 years in Cyprus), but the 3 SAC's in my section, all with around 12-18 months out of Cosford all have theirs from their course. Seems to have gone full circle and Cosford are making sure the required elements are completed before they leave (or has it changed again). But as i posted earlier for those that have yet to complete their BTEC promotion is available and they can do their BTEC later, which as far as I'm concerned is promoting laziness.

As for the whole "It was better in the old days" ie before they started training SAC (T)'s and we used to get SAC's (Mechs) and JT's be they DE or Fitters, You've got my vote.:pDT_Xtremez_14: