• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dental support for veterans

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Signed too...now where is the one for tax free pensions?

Digzster

Sergeant
There is an e-petition at http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/ to lobby the government to provide free dental treatment for Veterans.

Please sign it as dental treatment costs an absolute fortune, even on the NHS!

If you think UK is expensive..... Before my retirement, I and Mrs Digster availed ourselves (as you do) of medical and dental checkups as we were overseas at the time. All passed and no dental issues reported, happy days good to go for a while.

Within one month of arrival in Canada, my front filling comes out when brushing....$640 later (luckily I was just still on resettlement then and had filled in all the paperwork). Eight weeks after leaving, Mrs Digster loses filling and part bridge. I won't put the cost up as I still cry about it! Of course, our medical / dental insurance has limitations as to timeframes, so does not cover this.

The point is, don't believe the military dentist. Pay for a civilian checkup then go back to the military and ask questions!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you think UK is expensive..... Before my retirement, I and Mrs Digster availed ourselves (as you do) of medical and dental checkups as we were overseas at the time. All passed and no dental issues reported, happy days good to go for a while.

Within one month of arrival in Canada, my front filling comes out when brushing....$640 later (luckily I was just still on resettlement then and had filled in all the paperwork). Eight weeks after leaving, Mrs Digster loses filling and part bridge. I won't put the cost up as I still cry about it! Of course, our medical / dental insurance has limitations as to timeframes, so does not cover this.

The point is, don't believe the military dentist. Pay for a civilian checkup then go back to the military and ask questions!

Agreed. My new dentist quite literally picked holes in my dentist work done months before at Waddo by the SDO.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Agreed. My new dentist quite literally picked holes in my dentist work done months before at Waddo by the SDO.

As far as I can tell, pretty much everyone has whatever service dental work they had done, done again when they leave. I cannot fault the NHS treatment or costs. Sorry.

Erm, there is no support, could not even get in an nhs practice close to Stafford. Had to go on denplan and pay 450 quid to have "those industrial fillings" put right.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Ok, tin hat on, but before I sign this, could the OP clarify if those personnel who suffer injury attributable to service in HM Forces do actually have to pay for their prescriptions and/or dental care? I may be wrong, but I thought those in receipt of a medical (war) pension didnt get charged.

As someone who has just left the RAF, whilst I'd love to continue to have free dental care and free prescriptions just like I've had for the past 28 years, I dont have an attributable injury and would feel a bit of a fraud getting free care when the rest of civvy st pays. Similarly, I'd not like the 19 year old who PVRs halfway through their trade training getting free care for the next 60 or so years, as they would also be classed as a "veteran". Where would you draw the line?

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Ok, tin hat on, but before I sign this, could the OP clarify if those personnel who suffer injury attributable to service in HM Forces do actually have to pay for their prescriptions and/or dental care? I may be wrong, but I thought those in receipt of a medical (war) pension didnt get charged.

As someone who has just left the RAF, whilst I'd love to continue to have free dental care and free prescriptions just like I've had for the past 28 years, I dont have an attributable injury and would feel a bit of a fraud getting free care when the rest of civvy st pays. Similarly, I'd not like the 19 year old who PVRs halfway through their trade training getting free care for the next 60 or so years, as they would also be classed as a "veteran". Where would you draw the line?

I can see the justice in giving it to somebody who has done his/her time time without PVRing. Too stringent? How about ten years?

When I left the Service and became a mental health nurse in the NHS, I twice went to the top of a surgery waiting list and once was given a private room and was served my tea out of a silver pot. One partly publicly-funded gallery I later worked at sold me a painting by an important artist at a very considerable discount. The intelligent way to use such privileges is to motivate people into staying longer than they might otherwise have done and, in general, to show them their work is appreciated.

As a poor, long-suffering, disabled OAP I have no objection to any of this.

PS Happy new life!

Last edited:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
But the definition of a veteran is someone who has spent one day serving in HM Forces. There are over 4.6 million veterans in the UK.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
MWD, war pensioners only get free prescriptions for their attributable conditions, although it's not policed to closely, not sure about dental treatment but would guess it has to be attributable to be free.

Now you're out remember you have to pay on your way out of the surgery and don't just walk out like I did the first time.

Can't see free treatment becoming a reality in current climate, unless you are having cosmetic treatment it's not cheap but is affordable for most.

Any misunderstandings above caused by predictive texf

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Now you're out remember you have to pay on your way out of the surgery and don't just walk out like I did the first time.

I did this after my first check up at the dentist!! I just strolled out without thinking about it...the receptionist is the daughter of an ex ATC officer so knew I was going to be clueless...she just caught me the next time I was in!

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
I did this after my first check up at the dentist!! I just strolled out without thinking about it...the receptionist is the daughter of an ex ATC officer so knew I was going to be clueless...she just caught me the next time I was in!

Funny you said that....I was going to walk out as well but the receptionist caught me before I could get out the door.

Mr SCJ

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
Or you can do what an infamous Herc GE did. Get all your teeth removed just before you leave the RAF and have some dentures made.

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
But the definition of a veteran is someone who has spent one day serving in HM Forces. There are over 4.6 million veterans in the UK.

That would be foolish and unnecessary. As I've already suggested, what's needed is a specific period of time that is many years longer than one day to motivate people into staying that long. And what about a tariff for decorations? Think outside the box, that's the thing.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
sorry

sorry

Sorry but as a civvie now I would end up paying for this in taxes.
I am all for priority for jumping the queue on an NHS dentist waiting list.
But this is daft.
What next free socks for Veterans?