• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fcuking Assimilation . . . I'm still TG3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it is in fact the product that is a fault it is without doubt very poor

You will hear no argument from me there... however, as an instructor I took the material provided and spent a great deal of time putting it together into a format that I personally could deliver. I found that no matter how hard I tried, I simply couldn't present the course in my own mind, in a structured way, as it was. I went on to create my own structured practical exercises that built on each other... a simple yet effective method consolidating each theory lesson with a practical element.

I appreciate that I am still new and keen to instructor duties this time round (although I have been there before, hence saving myself all the time and effort of having to do the DIT/BIT/insert suitable acronym here), and that my current enthusiasm will be expected to wane... however, I have always endeavoured to spend my time at the front of the class delivering the best I can... and if that meant a little extra effort on my part so the course ran more smoothly, then so be it. I would not have felt comfortable standing in front of a class with the package as it was.

Sorry but as an Instructor I do not believe that personnel experience or what trade you are is the overriding factor in this matter

I agree in part. Personal experience is, in my experience (if you pardon the usage!), a great asset when dealing with any subject. The ability to draw on knowledge practically gained could be just what is needed to clarify that difficult point. What I am NOT saying though is that you cannot teach without it... far from it. The point I was trying to make was that for me, it worked.

My quip about the TG11 Sgts probably knowing more about Helpdesk was used as an example of where my own experience is lacking. Will that stop me from teaching the subject? Not at all. Will the fact that they are TG11 make a difference to the way I teach? Not at all. I follow an IS, and by making sure I cover each point in that IS, everyone who sits in front of me will meet the same criteria at the end of the week. I'm not being "trade-ist"... I just realise that perhaps in certain aspects of the course where my own knowledge isn't 100% (i.e. Helpdesk), then I may well find myself at the mercy of the more experienced guys in front of me! I just hope they will be bale to fill in the gaps as required!

Rememebr, it's not all about the guy at the front of the class... each member of a course brings their own knowledge and experiences to each subject... I learned things from the TG3 Sgt's last week, and I look forward to learning more from the TG11s - because whatever is brought to the table, if it helps me the next time I have to teach, all the better.

Last edited:

Soulboy

LAC
MAT1 - and is a package that originally was designed as an overview for new TG11 Instructors when they arrived at the school to bring them quickly up to speed on what was being taught to TG11 TCO’s [/I said:
If what you say is correct it puts in to perspective the said course, and as you said AT training does seem to going on and on and on, anyway does it really matter, actually would it have mattered if everyone who was already serving had been automatically assimilated without attending a single course, I thing the answer would have been no! As everyone requiring a course for their current or future employment could have done a Pre-Employment course, isn't that what they are for.

Anyway as I said does any of this really matter anyway we will all attend our relevant assimilation course we will all assimilate to TG4 and then either get promoted and carry on, or finish our time and pick our pensions up...

Now for the philosophical bit....:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Also does anyone out their really think we or they are so important that anyone really gives a sh*t what are opinions are. Will anyone give a t*ss when we have left, as who are we really, as when all is said and done we are just an employee of a company, and that company has less employees than most medium to large firms in this country.

End of philosophizing.........:PDT_Xtremez_03:

Off Topic ..... Just a quick sort of off topic still to do with courses anyone at the school got any gen on what will be happening when DTR privatizes training, will training be the same as now or are they going to make any radical changes?:PDT_Xtremez_03:

3Chordwonder

They finally got me...first 2 weeks in May - anyone else on it then ?

rugby then work

Cider Drinker
Can finally post on this thread with some authority as I've just finished my AT, I've got a certificate and everything.

I didn't think the course was all that bad, pointless for myself as I've already got my CCNA, and have completed the Microsoft courses in Exchange, SMS and SQL but that goes back to the argument over exemptions. 3 out of the 7 on the course had very little knowledge on the subjects covered and at least got an overview of some of the jobs they may come into contact with in the future.

Fair play to the instructor he knew that he was teaching a course that most of the SNCO's in TG3 aren't interested in and tried to make the best of it.

I still believe that the week (or 4 days) would have been better spent discussing the way that the new trade is going to be managed and how we are going to employ the new SACs who pass out having completed BT1.

Officially that was the last AT course for TG3 Sgts and Cosford are awaiting direction from the trade sponsor as to if and when they will run any more.

The highlight of the week had to be 1100 on Monday when we where told that the instructor needed the rest of the day off and we adjourned to the local (and not so local) bars. The rest of the week followed a similar theme.

My name’s RTW and I’m an Alcoholic…………….

Done it. And now I've been back in the real world for a week.

I work in IT, and have done for 16 months (not a long time I'll admit, but long enough).

I've got to be honest, I had a really good time. Not in the classroom (with no feckin windows, not like Locking) but out of it. Ten nights there, nine of them in the Jax - We went to see 300 the other night. We even made it to the Bop one night - You can drink later in there...

Anyway, back to topic.

That course would be perfect as a pre-employment course for anyone posted into an IT slot. But after all of it, I don't really get why everyone has to learn about Sunrise et al. What difference does Sunrise make if you're on the Wing? Or in GRF? How about HFP? Bugger all. But, I did need to know about when I started in IT. Even when they say that's where we're all going (as a trade), Why learn it now? Learn it when you need it.

By the way, the chilli sauce at that Kebab van is getting hotter...

S

Scrufty Bear

I'm ex tg11 and completed the at training mid jan. I have to say that it was an enlightening experience (thank god they'd stopped the b@llocks of us marching by the time I got there!!).

I had to endure the full 10 weeks and to be honest, even though I was already Q'd up on a couple of subjects, it was 10 weeks away from the hellhole that I work in. I had a right laugh, took the abuse from the tg3 guys with good spirit and learnt a lot in the process.

I have been known to pipe up with "I'm a techie now" then duck all following missiles. (Hubbie is tg1 and laughs extremely loudly when I say it too, usually follows it up with a kick in the a*se!!) Thing is, I know that I'm not a techie, I didn't have the aptitude when I joined up and struggle with parts of the course. Not because I'm thick I might add, but because after 10 years tippee typing for a living, datacomms was a bit of a shock to the system!!

I am quite aware of what my skills are and wouldn't expect an ex tg3 to sit there and type a signal, or let them sit there in horror watching me try and make a cable!!!!!!

At the end of the day, we're all in the same boat because of someone a lot higher up who gets paid more than we do put together. We have to make to best of a good/bad job and get on with it. I've certainly learnt more about the ex tg3 environment, I may not understand it sometimes, but we can all learn from each other.

Anyway, just thought I'd say my bit.

Ta g.

chumpzilla

Sergeant
Playgroup 4 humiliation

Playgroup 4 humiliation

I got shafted last year, while on my Watchman course, got a call to tell me that i was off for a 3 week lobotomy! Found it about as stimulating as geeting a w*lly shoved in my mouth! (sorry for the obcenity!) So, not very good at all! Passed all exams easily, even the datacomms they sprang on us AFTER our brief about how we'll have to march around! Few guys had slip ups on the course before me, but just putting that down to drunkenness! Oh well, Tg4 by name, but Tg3 will remain beating in my heart forever

Ciao:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back