• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GE - Current requirement.

• Thread starter Thread starter Liney Hasbeen
  • Start date Start date
L

Liney Hasbeen

Anyone up to date on the requirement for GE's at the moment, I guess they are undermanned but not sure.

Considering applying so any info would be much appreciated either here or by PM.

I will look into when I get back to work but would be nice to be armed with some decent info from the horses mouth so to speak.

Thanks in advance.

P.S
Considering all A/C Types.

B

Bucc Boy

From what I remember the application time is finished for 2009 courses. Applications for 2010 GE's will probably have a deadline of Oct 09 with names released around Dec 09.

Any trade can apply although I've never heard of an armourer GE on Tristars/10's/C17's I'm unsure of the Herc fleet although I get the impression Gem was both a GE and an armourer. (I could be wrong though!)
Must have completed IMLC and TMT2 prior to course start date (for the obvious reasons) and have at least enough time left to complete your GE tour.
I bit of advice a was given which seems to be true, If your marriage isn’t strong before you start GE’ing then it probably won’t survive the pressures of the job.
The swim test appears to have become compulsory nowadays as well, just 100m in flying clothing, tread water for 2 mins an then get yourself out of the pool unaided.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
On a slightly different note, does anybody know if they have started a trawl for A400M GE's ? Would they be recruiting these to gain experience prior to the formation of the Sqn ?

B

Bucc Boy

On a slightly different note, does anybody know if they have started a trawl for A400M GE's ? Would they be recruiting these to gain experience prior to the formation of the Sqn ?

Like your thinking Sospan, but isn't that a bit forward thinking for this 'Fire fighting' organisation. Don't know what it's like where you are but planning seems to get a dam good ignoring and we just seem to be putting one fire out after another...........I doubt the recruiting team has even been recruited yet mate!!

Last edited:

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts

Like your thinking Sospan, but isn't that a bit forward thinking for this 'Fight fighting' organisation. Don't know what it's like where you are but planning seems to get a dam good ignoring and we just seem to be putting one fire out after another...........I doubt the recruiting team has even been recruited yet mate!!

I think its a must TBH, they could invest some time and money into getting the first few GE's into France and work alongside the flight testing team, it would be worth its weight in gold when we come to accept the aircraft and fly the arse off them 2 days after entering service.

L

Liney Hasbeen

Thanks for the info Bucc, that sort of ties in with the master plan !! I have a definite year left where I am as of January so I will get the application in early doors ........ I'm Mech so no armourer worries for me.

B

Bucc Boy

Thats because you need to be able to read, write, drink and use common sense. I have yet to meet an amourer with all 4 traits. :PDT_Xtremez_28:
Interesting choice of attributes. I must admit that every single armourer I have ever met CAN read, write and drink their weight in special brew..........never met one with common sense though!

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Interesting choice of attributes. I must admit that every single armourer I have ever met CAN read, write and drink their weight in special brew..........never met one with common sense though!

I could have used some big words but they would never have understood... Bless um

Roobsta

Corporal
I have a freind (civvy) working on the A400 project. When we spoke in July 08 they were undergoing problems with some of the materials not performing to spec so the program was shifting to the right - maybe why no recruiting just yet...?

B

Bucc Boy

Will these A400m GE's need to be civi licensed B1, B2?

If they were, do you think they would be happy working for £35K - £38K a year?

Off Topic When they could be sitting behind a desk, unqualified and sorting through JPA issues and arranging paper clips for the same money.

OK OK......My new years resolution is to finally 'let it lie' and bite my fcuking tongue.

I have been out of the GE World for twelve monrths now but if you need any help etc gimme a shout.

PS you aren't receiving PMs for some reason

Jimps

L

Liney Hasbeen

Thanks for the Email Jim P.

Attempted to make some headway this week, however some virus has destroyed the intranet service and the HR staff look blankly at me when I ask about the application procedure.

Any of you fine people know what my first port of call should be to get the ball rolling. (please dont say PSF !!!)

Cheers all

The Bowmeister

Darkside Jedi Master
Dont bother applying to be a Ground Eng as there are no perks anymore, rumour control is they are trying to take "Crew Pay" off us and you dont get rates anymore just Sh!tty capped actuals.
You just get fukked over and dont get any rewards anymore. ::/:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Start with your options on JPA then it was a form 4492( I think thats the No.) which is an application to remuster. That was the procedure 18 months 2 years back.

C'mon BM if you can't make capped actuals work to the same levels as rates you're not 1/2 the GE I thought you were...lol

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Dont bother applying to be a Ground Eng as there are no perks anymore, rumour control is they are trying to take "Crew Pay" off us and you dont get rates anymore just Sh!tty capped actuals.
You just get fukked over and dont get any rewards anymore. ::/:

The whole RAF is feeling the pain of actuals not just GE's.

On a separate note does anybody know what the criteria is for crew pay or where to find it? I have tried JSP 752 but nothing found.

Back