• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GE - Current requirement.

• Thread starter Thread starter Liney Hasbeen
  • Start date Start date
B

Bucc Boy

Dont bother applying to be a Ground Eng as there are no perks anymore, rumour control is they are trying to take "Crew Pay" off us and you dont get rates anymore just Sh!tty capped actuals.
You just get fukked over and dont get any rewards anymore. ::/:

No perks Bowmeister!!? No perks?

How's your January Tan mate?

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Well what I have read is the GE trade in all a/c types is not getting the numbers needed. I think now Nimrod has settled down and at least they not loosing GEs but I think for many of the Chiefs they just dont see a future with promotion and not going further. I think everyone knows in your career you come to a grinding halt at some point.

I just referring to Nimrod I dunno about all other types but I did hear its not a great incentive to be a GE anymore , too much other **** and not being able to do job , a bit like every other trade in the RAF

Well what I have read is the GE trade in all a/c types is not getting the numbers needed.

Why can't the RAF make an exception and open it up to Cpl's to address the shortage? There are some really good guys around who would excel in the role and they'd get plenty of volunteers. I appreciate you need indies and reds/greens etc. but surely experienced NCO's could be permitted to hold the authorisations?

duffman

Flight Sergeant
Why can't the RAF make an exception and open it up to Cpl's to address the shortage? There are some really good guys around who would excel in the role and they'd get plenty of volunteers. I appreciate you need indies and reds/greens etc. but surely experienced NCO's could be permitted to hold the authorisations?

ability over rank?:raf:

duffman

Flight Sergeant
no not really, like dirty harry said there may well be some suitable JNCOs, maybe more than some of the grown up that do it now, that's all.

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Thats a valid point. JNCO GEs

Ok you got a guy/girl thats not worried about getting to impossible FS rank , Cpl will not moan and used to doing all work , kinda good idea

Saying that most cpls are now 10 year or less experienced and dont really have a grasp on proper man management .

Only old school the last few that are left in the RAF that done 18 plus years we were the ones shafted by the RAF at time but now the only thing going is a last few of good souls doing the work. 22 years and bye collect cash and go ramm it up yer hoop gordon broon ya chunt.

If i was admin i would be a flt sgt now not a cpl :S

I always thought i done well and ive been the best i can but never been given the chance to go further. thats my moan point but thats the only thing ive resented about the RAF .

worthers

LAC
Most Cpl's on fast jets have been doing most of the work a GE does on big jets they are called Line walkers. Granted they don't do all of those duties but in my experience we did do quite a few (didn't have reds or greens). I have worked in both environments and do belive opening up the GE trade to senior Cpl's would be a good move. If that is there is a shortage of volunteers.

duffman

Flight Sergeant
what are the requirements for a GE, do you have to have worked on big jets before? or could you have a new sgt from tonkas do it?

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
what are the requirements for a GE, do you have to have worked on big jets before? or could you have a new sgt from tonkas do it?

Any SNCO can apply as long as they meet the other criteria (remaining service etc) but as a generalisation they don't tend to do as well, and quite a few can it before finishing the training.

This is obviously just a generalisation, and some really good GE's never worked on the AC in question before becoming a GE on it, Like I said though, a lot don't.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
One of the main reasons it will never happen is purely holding the rank of Sgt, if a Cpl was downroute as a GE (not every Cpl granted) they might be pressurised into making decisions that the aircrew would not put on a Sgt. I think the GE needs to be at the very minimum of equal rank to the baby loadies. I know many Cpls wouldn't take any **** of baby aircrew but its belt and braces time, when you are 5'000 miles from home and you say NO it means NO.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Any SNCO can apply as long as they meet the other criteria (remaining service etc) but as a generalisation they don't tend to do as well, and quite a few can it before finishing the training.

This is obviously just a generalisation, and some really good GE's never worked on the AC in question before becoming a GE on it, Like I said though, a lot don't.

TG1 SNCO except Armourers as they're too thick...lol

On a serious note... Why no plumbers? Their general AC knowledge and practical skills are on a par with the superior trades.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
One of the main reasons it will never happen is purely holding the rank of Sgt, if a Cpl was downroute as a GE (not every Cpl granted) they might be pressurised into making decisions that the aircrew would not put on a Sgt. I think the GE needs to be at the very minimum of equal rank to the baby loadies. I know many Cpls wouldn't take any **** of baby aircrew but its belt and braces time, when you are 5'000 miles from home and you say NO it means NO.

If they have the ability and have passed the course + the "Q" trip, give them acting rank!! It won't be a problem then would it!.

B

Bucc Boy

If they have the ability and have passed the course + the "Q" trip, give them acting rank!! It won't be a problem then would it!.

It's not so long ago they were talking of giving all the Sgt GE's acting rank of C/T for the added authority. In fact the VC10 Sgt GE's are always made up to C/T when they go on a tour of the Falklands. Down there they run a shift of, roughly (and it may have changed), 1 x Sgt, 1 x Cpl and 2 SAC's. When I was down there as a Sgt I would have felt a bit miffed at having a Cpl, acting Sgt acting Chief as my boss for 4 months, let alone writing an F6000D (or SJAR equivalent) on me.

Call me old fashioned but if the job requires a Sgt then use a fcuking Sgt. If the Cpl is good enough to be a Sgt then promote him.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
TG1 SNCO except Armourers as they're too thick...lol

On a serious note... Why no plumbers? Their general AC knowledge and practical skills are on a par with the superior trades.

I often wonder the same thing mate. I know a few plumber Snecs (and even some Cpls) that don't take any sh1t from people, least of all jumped up baby aircrew.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thats a valid point. JNCO GEs

Ok you got a guy/girl thats not worried about getting to impossible FS rank , Cpl will not moan and used to doing all work , kinda good idea

Saying that most cpls are now 10 year or less experienced and dont really have a grasp on proper man management .

Only old school the last few that are left in the RAF that done 18 plus years we were the ones shafted by the RAF at time but now the only thing going is a last few of good souls doing the work. 22 years and bye collect cash and go ramm it up yer hoop gordon broon ya chunt.

If i was admin i would be a flt sgt now not a cpl :S

I always thought i done well and ive been the best i can but never been given the chance to go further. thats my moan point but thats the only thing ive resented about the RAF .

Mate,to be fair that is a load of pish. There are 25 year Chiefs walking around that couldn't lead their way out of a paper bag who got promoted because they noshed off the 1st RO or were IC Station StampCollecting club etc

I've met a couple of guys who got promoted after 5/6 years in the RAF and they are excellent NCOs - a certain amount of experience is good, but you don't need to have been in the RAF a decade to become a JNCO.

It's about time the RAF promoted people more quickly, people don't want to be stuck at the JR level for 14 years anymore.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
It's not so long ago they were talking of giving all the Sgt GE's acting rank of C/T for the added authority. In fact the VC10 Sgt GE's are always made up to C/T when they go on a tour of the Falklands. Down there they run a shift of, roughly (and it may have changed), 1 x Sgt, 1 x Cpl and 2 SAC's. When I was down there as a Sgt I would have felt a bit miffed at having a Cpl, acting Sgt acting Chief as my boss for 4 months, let alone writing an F6000D (or SJAR equivalent) on me.

Call me old fashioned but if the job requires a Sgt then use a fcuking Sgt. If the Cpl is good enough to be a Sgt then promote him.

Tell that to ACOS then, not me. I'm a civvy near as damn it and it ain't my problem. Get the Cpl a B1 licence when Air Tanker comes in and they will be gods..

Tell that to ACOS then, not me. I'm a civvy near as damn it and it ain't my problem. Get the Cpl a B1 licence when Air Tanker comes in and they will be gods..

You know as well as I do that Cpl's and below will not be considered for licensing if the RAF ever go down that route. Rank and the false assumption that it equals knowledge and experience will always prevail.

B

Bucc Boy

Top class reply………Not!!

Why would I tell ACOS? They didn’t suggest using Cpl’s as GE’s, it was fcuking you!

Cpl with a B1, ready for the Air Tanker…….Hmmmm, bit like Tesco’s putting their checkout girls through a Maths Degree. Not going to happen.

duffman

Flight Sergeant
Hmmmm, bit like Tesco’s putting their checkout girls through a Maths Degree. Not going to happen.

that's a bit harsh, i think all everyone is trying to say that competency should be the first requirement rather than rank, I doubt it will ever go that way but if it did who knows that could even be .... shock horror an SAC(T)/JT GE :PDT_Xtremez_17:

Back