• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GE - Current requirement.

• Thread starter Thread starter Liney Hasbeen
  • Start date Start date

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Top class reply………Not!!

Why would I tell ACOS? They didn’t suggest using Cpl’s as GE’s, it was fcuking you!

Cpl with a B1, ready for the Air Tanker…….Hmmmm, bit like Tesco’s putting their checkout girls through a Maths Degree. Not going to happen.

Mechanics and Technicians in civvy street as you well know. Only the Techs can sign off a job. If the RAF has PART 145 maintained aircraft, No Cpls can be authed to oversign or co-ordinate, what is the CRS in civvy street (unless they are "A" licenced and the range of tasks will be limited). One Sgt with a B1 on shift is going to be a busy boy when he has to certify EVERYTHING!!

And it was DH that suggested the use of SENIOR Cpl's, not me. I only said that acting rank (used everywhere else) sorted a hypothetical question.

Last edited:
B

Bucc Boy

that's a bit harsh, i think all everyone is trying to say that competency should be the first requirement rather than rank, I doubt it will ever go that way but if it did who knows that could even be .... shock horror an SAC(T)/JT GE :PDT_Xtremez_17:

I see what you are saying duffman and why not. After all what does a GE do that your average to above average SAC(T)/JT wouldn't be able to.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I see what you are saying duffman and why not. After all what does a GE do that your average to above average SAC(T)/JT wouldn't be able to.

Physical work wise not much, but it's the aircraft experience that is more important. Your average GE has put in 17+ years normally with a lot of it 1st line based (by that time in careers people are steering themselves where they like to be, and obviously GE is the plum 1st line post for SNECs that still want to play with jets on dets). Your average JT/SAC(t) has no idea what the skillset required to keep the jets moving smoothly are, not because his aircraft skills are poor, but because he needs to have been around the Air Force and done the dets and ops so that he can understand how stuff gets done. A few of the Cpls I've known have had these skill sets but not until they've made the hallowed title of old sweat.

Last edited:
B

Bucc Boy

Physical work wise not much, but it's the aircraft experience that is more important. Your average GE has put in 17+ years normally with a lot of it 1st line based (by that time in careers people are steering themselves where they like to be, and obviously GE is the plum 1st line post for SNECs that still want to play with jets on dets). Your average JT/SAC(t) has no idea what the skillset required to keep the jets moving smoothly are, not because his aircraft skills are poor, but because he needs to have been around the Air Force and done the dets and ops so that he can understand how stuff gets done. A few of the Cpls I've known have had these skill sets but not until they've made the hallowed title of old sweat.

Cheers for that, I agree with all you have said, and there is a whole lot more as well. Which is why the post of mine you commented on was actually a rhetorical question........ taking the p1ss.

duffman

Flight Sergeant
TBH my answer was a little tongue-in-cheek. I meant purely from completing the B1 course for the new shiney Airbus, all the other stuff the GE's do i didn't really think about, as TBH i don't really know that much about what they do.

Not taking the pis5, what other jobs do they do, bar keeping the jet up?

Last edited:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
TBH my answer was a little tongue-in-cheek. I meant purely from completing the B1 course for the new shiney Airbus, all the other stuff the GE's do i didn't really think about, as TBH i don't really know that much about what they do.

Not taking the pis5, what other jobs do they do, bar keeping the jet up?

Close, but it's usually keeping the bar up:PDT_Xtremez_31:

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Mate,to be fair that is a load of pish. There are 25 year Chiefs walking around that couldn't lead their way out of a paper bag who got promoted because they noshed off the 1st RO or were IC Station StampCollecting club etc

I've met a couple of guys who got promoted after 5/6 years in the RAF and they are excellent NCOs - a certain amount of experience is good, but you don't need to have been in the RAF a decade to become a JNCO.

It's about time the RAF promoted people more quickly, people don't want to be stuck at the JR level for 14 years anymore.

Well i just saying that through my general knowledge and understanding , I really think you have to do at least 10 years service to know the ins and out , ok i agree exceptions to rule but for some kids now they do 1 tour at one station and get promoted , you need to experience the bigger picture in my opinion.

But thats the way i see it

D

DMX017

Groung Engineers' Training

Groung Engineers' Training

It will be the best training you will ever do bar none - IF DONE AT VGSS BZN.:cool:

EX TRI*GE CLASS OF 96

Triple SA

Thread Killer
Sorry, but I couldn't let this pass

If i was admin i would be a flt sgt now not a cpl :S

Sounds like you are a legend in your own lunchtime mate. You should apply to remuster; dull job, but no actual responsibility, better promotion (apparently) and the same pay band. Not to mention lunch breaks & sports afternoons.

It will be the best training you will ever do bar none - IF DONE AT VGSS BZN.

EX TRI*GE CLASS OF 96

At around that time one of the VGSS instructors used to deliver freshly made Cornish Pasties all the way from, er well Cornwall, on a Monday morning - top bloke...

You know as well as I do that Cpl's and below will not be considered for licensing if the RAF ever go down that route. Rank and the false assumption that it equals knowledge and experience will always prevail.

DH, apparently they are now training some Cpls, some junior ones I might add, to be B1 or B2s as we speak. Since when has rank played a part in any civvy 145 environment. Its about knowing your stuff and ability: discus

DH, apparently they are now training some Cpls, some junior ones I might add, to be B1 or B2s as we speak. Since when has rank played a part in any civvy 145 environment. Its about knowing your stuff and ability: discus

That's good to see. If a J/T or Cpl is capable of passing the exams and has the ability and qualities to succeed in the role then he is your man.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

That's good to see. If a J/T or Cpl is capable of passing the exams and has the ability and qualities to succeed in the role then he is your man.

So, in the not so distant future and by that I mean 3 or 4 years, there will be CPls who are B1 or B2, possibly both, with type rating and auths, who will be earning the same as a shiney on the higher pay band.

Hmmmm, now let's think about retention shall we.

TW

It will be the best training you will ever do bar none - IF DONE AT VGSS BZN

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't GE training one year in school covering all 4 'Q' courses which are the same courses as regular guys on the sqn's get?

So, in the not so distant future and by that I mean 3 or 4 years, there will be CPls who are B1 or B2, possibly both, with type rating and auths, who will be earning the same as a shiney on the higher pay band.

Hmmmm, now let's think about retention shall we.

TW

Like most things that will benefit guys when they eventually leave the forces, I'm guessing some kind of return of service. As for retention TW, make it attractive for people to stay in and they will, simple as that. The pension just didn't cut it for me I'm afraid, the loss of potential earnings, the ability to progress on merit and quality of life that civvy street had to offer put pay to that.

D

DMX017

GE - Current requirement

GE - Current requirement

It might well be the same course as the guy's off the squadron like you say, but when you leave the haven on the Defense Umbrella - It will stand you in very good stead. My A300/330/744 & 777 courses were a breeze in comparison - mainly due to the training from a previous life, and yes I have got as life and it's very, very well paid - Thanks to 2'6 and the UK tax payers - NUFF SAID

Back