• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mech/Tech's

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
No, I was being serious.

Then again, I've never done an A/F, B/F or anything like that so I've never had my eliteness beaten out of me.

Not actually true that though is it Tin me old mate? The old style FLM's career path was never intended to take them through to a specific trade mechanics course, they were recruited as FLMs and only FLMs. The fact that some did progress was by dint of the internal process that recognised the suitability of some FLMs to retrain as mechanics and then go on to technician training later if they had time in which to do it. Yes, it happened but it wasn't built in to the system; there are probably quite a few SNCOs around today who started out as good oldFLMs

The original FLM career plot was designed around the TSR2 and the theory was multi skilled FLMs would pump gas, wipe windows etc., AND fit bombs. Any Rects would be done by Split brain Heavies and Fairies (the old appos). All this would be overseen by Supertechs (5 trade wunderkind GUARANTEED to be Chief Techs by age 25). When the TSR2 was cancelled, the system that the rest of the techy used world obviously took over. (Mechs and Fitters with pretty much what we have today hierarchically).

The Trades review of 1968 I believe, kept FLMs and Appos as a good thing, but stopped recruiting Supertechs; and fortunately (and there has to be some plumber out there with horror stories) removed the Wpns trade from the ones left. Nice blokes supertechs, brains the size of a planet but no fecking use as engineers!

When I joined in '78, us FLM's were made to choose a trade within six months of becoming an LAC, and when/if selected, you went and did a mechs course straight into a Fitters course. Or if you were after the decision to disband the FLM trade, an assimilation course then you posted back to your unit to wait for FT.

All that said, My first mentor as a FLM was coming to the end of his engagement having spent 22 years as an SAC! Happiest bloke I ever met, last heard of in British Transport police, though he will be very retired now.

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
The original FLM career plot was designed around the TSR2 and the theory was multi skilled FLMs would pump gas, wipe windows etc., AND fit bombs. Any Rects would be done by Split brain Heavies and Fairies (the old appos). All this would be overseen by Supertechs (5 trade wunderkind GUARANTEED to be Chief Techs by age 25). When the TSR2 was cancelled, the system that the rest of the techy used world obviously took over. (Mechs and Fitters with pretty much what we have today hierarchically).

The Trades review of 1968 I believe, kept FLMs and Appos as a good thing, but stopped recruiting Supertechs; and fortunately (and there has to be some plumber out there with horror stories) removed the Wpns trade from the ones left. Nice blokes supertechs, brains the size of a planet but no fecking use as engineers!

When I joined in '78, us FLM's were made to choose a trade within six months of becoming an LAC, and when/if selected, you went and did a mechs course straight into a Fitters course. Or if you were after the decision to disband the FLM trade, an assimilation course then you posted back to your unit to wait for FT.

All that said, My first mentor as a FLM was coming to the end of his engagement having spent 22 years as an SAC! Happiest bloke I ever met, last heard of in British Transport police, though he will be very retired now.

Sorry to p**s on your cabbage patch, but split brains did not enter the RAF until long after the TSR2 project was scrapped in the late sixties. The 1st Entry of splitters enlisted 6 Nov 73 ( I should know as I was one of them).

Yep you are dead right, I fear I may be getting confused with the system where boy entrants where called apprentices, even into non-tech trades such as clerk and storeman.

It may well have been Super techs and FLMs only, the brief I heard it all at was over 28 years ago!!

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
Yep you are dead right, I fear I may be getting confused with the system where boy entrants where called apprentices, even into non-tech trades such as clerk and storeman.

It may well have been Super techs and FLMs only, the brief I heard it all at was over 28 years ago!!

Before I Joined there were Super Techs and also Craft Apprentices, who were single trade. Then there were obviously also Mechs, the new FLMs and lastly the new DEs, who learnt one trade in 18 months as against the Split Brains who did three Mech Cses (AF, Prop & DF) and two fitters Cses and ONC in 34 months (was three years before the Split Brains, but we did RTS at Swinderblitz).

It would have been the Super Techs and Craft Fitters on TSR2, plus Mechs of course.

lads.................
don't slag off each others rank/career path and subsequent worth to the RAF!

once you get to work with the RN techies, you'll realise we are all gods gift :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Back