• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Monza-the home of the Tifosi.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Before we delve into Monza I'd like to ask you all not to harp and whine on about the stewards decision post race at Spa.
If you want to do that please take it to another thread.
If it turns into a rant on this thread about last weekend I'll just delete the thread.
Thanks.

Right then, Monza, the Italian Grand Prix
The track was originally built in 1922 and hosted its first F1GP in that year. The event was won by Pietro Bordino driving for Fiat.
Races were held here on and off for many years but the real F1 championship didnt start until 1950 when Nino Farina became the first ever rookie in F1 to win the championship in his 1st year :pDT_Xtremez_15:.

A race has been held here at Monza every year since 1950, with the exception of 1980 when it was at Imola.
Situated north of Milan the track has seen several configurations including 2 banked corners.
At one point, 1960, the brits refused to race with the banking, it was very bumpy and made them spill their cups of earl gray all over the cockpit!
This youtube vid is in johnny foreigner lingo, but you get to see how steep the banking was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Zse7OQACs
I'm not sure where the pic attachments of the previous incarnations will actually sit on the page, probably at the bottom, but I'll post em anyway!

The track used to be a flat out full throttle slipstreaming extravaganza. The leaders used to fail to finish because of their engines giving up due to the harsh full throttle conditions.
1972 saw the flat out power track slightly reigned in with the addition of 2 chicanes. One at the end of the pit straight, primo variante, and the other at curva del Vialone. This race was won by Emmerson Fittipaldi.

1971 saw Monza witness the closest ever finish to a race with 5 drivers within 0.01 seconds!!
We could do with some racing like that these days rather than the sterile no overtaking tracks we have been lumbered with.
Check out the chequered flag man, how close???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae-BHKcVNvM

Also, in 1966 it was used as a location to film the movie "Grand Prix"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwppPI0tQiU&feature=related

On a down side Monza has seen its fair share of deaths.
In 1928, the most serious Italian racing accident to date ended in the death of driver Emilio Materassi and 27 spectators at that year's Grand Prix
Alberto Ascari, Giuseppe Campari are among at least 13 car racers I can find, with at least another 5 motorbikers as well as many more spectators and not forgetting the marshall, Paolo Gislimberti, who was hit by a wheel in 2000.

Engines are at full power around this 3.6 mile track for 80% of it. It is very tough of engines and also gearboxes. Flat out up to 6th and 7th and then hard braking for the chicanes. Down the gears and then up through again once out of the chicane.
Traction is pretty important here as is treating the kerbs gently. A low downforce setting is used but it is a trade off for the last corner, Parabolica? Do you want a bit of wing to gain good corner speed and slightly slower down the pit straight or do you you risk less wing it and more straight speed?

Low downforce also means slippy slidy cars into chicanes and without engine breaking this year we might see some spinners!!

Tifosi. The word actually means a group of fans in Italian and believe it or not was used mostly for football fans (yuck, dirty people!).
The Tifosi are always at Monza to cheer for Ferrari. They even turn up on test days in their thousands. A sea of red usually adorns the grandstands and quite often we see red wigs as well as faces painted. They certainly are passionate and even in my pre-ferrari days I was impressed by them.

Sorry its a bit rushed and cluttered but here is the preview for Monza.

Last edited:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Monza is a freakin awesome circuit now, but those banked curves that are now rotting at the back of the track must have been amazing to drive around.

Check out the chequered flag man, how close???

Yeah :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Have you seen some of the footage of races from this era? Run-off area? HA, only pussies need a run-off area, some of the spectators are right at the trackside in some cases :0

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Mr Masher,
Thanks for the introduction to Monza. I remember the film Grand Prix (James Garner?). The music wasn't much (Maurice Jarre, I think), but it was a good film. They talk about the banking and the problems with the suspension on the cars.

(PS. Another good film of that era was "Le Mans" (Steve McQueen))

:pDT_Xtremez_32:

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Hello all

Top Intro for the time you've had mate!

Monza 1961 saw the death of Wolfgang Von Tripps in his "shark nosed" Ferrari 156 collided with the Lotus of Jim Clark. Von Trips would have been the first German World Champion if he had won (beating Schumi by 33 years!)

The title was taken by Phill Hill (only 1 of 2 USA drivers ever to win the WDC and the only proper Yank, as Mario Andretti was born and bred in Italy). Hill only recently passed away a couple of weeks ago.

Another crash at Monza saw the death of Jochen Rindt in 1970. His championship lead remained unpassed after the last race in Mexico and has been the only posthumous WDC.

Derek Warwick had a spectaular crash in 1990, losing control at the exit of the end of lap Parabolica curve.

All three incidents involved Lotus cars.

Monza is still a place that invokes so much passion from "the tifosi". Ferrari is a religion for them and they are no respectors of other team drivers, even if they are WDC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXmmdLwvSkY

Had to add that one!

As MM has stated, the slipstreaming battles of old meant that the race finishes could be exceptionallly close, Peter Gethin winning the 1971 race. I do believe that was the fastest race ever until the early 2000's. the chicances have slowed the track down a bit , but Monza is by far the fastest circuit still around and expect the race only to last about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Last edited:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Ah, poor old Mika. Bless him eh? Not often a driver lets his emotions take over whilst outside of his garage.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Quick quiz then, no prizes for the quickest answer.

Who was the first german born F1 world champion.

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_30:

If you're talking post 1950's I would guess at Schuey, unless its someone who was born in Germany but has a different nationality.

G

grumpyoldb

Yes it was Schuey, mate.
Jochen Rindt was the first German, but he raced under the Austrian flag.

T55

Sergeant
I have a freedom pass from "she who must be obeyed" on Sunday and have been toying with the idea of watching the race at the cinema - www.f1cinema.com.

Have any of you ladies and gents done this yet and would you recommend it?

Parky

Corporal
I have a freedom pass from "she who must be obeyed" on Sunday and have been toying with the idea of watching the race at the cinema - www.f1cinema.com.

Have any of you ladies and gents done this yet and would you recommend it?

Been toying with the idea myself the Odeon in Covent garden shows it, but I have made arrangements to watch it in a bar on Tot court road with friends this week.

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
What does the company that runs F1 think the nationality of Jochen Rindt was when he was killed?

He was a naturalized Austrian racing with an Austrian licence and passport. Like Mario was a naturalized Yank.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned those facts in the first place or the word bred!

Last edited: