• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Monza-the home of the Tifosi.

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
:pDT_Xtremez_06:My bad for asking, I thought it was an interesting bit of trivia. Being a passionate F1 geek takes alot of hard work.

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_06:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
My super duper book of F1 calls Jochen austrian, although it says in the small print that he was born in Mainz am Rhein. Nice find there mate. Nothing wrong with injecting a bit of trivia.

Here's a bit more trivia more you, which was the first grand prix car to be developed utilising a wind tunnel?
A hint, it was then driven across the Alps to take part in the French GP, which was one of three GPs that year.

Monza could be a boring race though, it does tend to be a bit processional.
You need a good car over the kerbs here to gain good speed down the straights.
I'd expect a few to sacrifice a bit of rear wing to compensate for being slightly slower over the kerbs.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
My super duper book of F1 calls Jochen austrian, although it says in the small print that he was born in Mainz am Rhein. Nice find there mate. Nothing wrong with injecting a bit of trivia.

Here's a bit more trivia more you, which was the first grand prix car to be developed utilising a wind tunnel?
A hint, it was then driven across the Alps to take part in the French GP, which was one of three GPs that year.

I would guess it would be the Alfa's in the 30's. If not them, the Hitler sponsored Auto Union and Merc teams of the same era.

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
I'm going to have a stab at Alfa's Monoposto Tipo B-P3 in the 1932 season, driven by Nuvolari.

Am I close.???????

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_17:

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Nice starter MM:pDT_Xtremez_19:

On the subject of the banked curves. Is there a place for them nowadays? Perhaps just to give the backroom boys something to overcome? I've been racking my brains and there isn't a banked curve on any of the tracks this years I think (Although I defer to the real hardcore f1 geeks when they tell me otherwise:pDT_Xtremez_15:) Not to the extent of the ones at Monza anyway.

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
A banked curve is classified as one of 10 degrees or more. Since loosing Indianapolis the only curve that comes close is on turn 1 of the Shanghi circuit, which is 9 degrees. Interlagos has the Subida dos Boxes curve (going uphill towards the start line and that is "banked" but only at 6 to 7 degrees.

Hope that helps.

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_35::pDT_Xtremez_28:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I would guess it would be the Alfa's in the 30's. If not them, the Hitler sponsored Auto Union and Merc teams of the same era.

I'm going to have a stab at Alfa's Monoposto Tipo B-P3 in the 1932 season, driven by Nuvolari.

Am I close.???????

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_17:

Wrong decade fellas. Try 1923 :pDT_Xtremez_35:.
The Fiat 805.405 was the answer. It attended the French GP but handed the win to a Brit, Henry Seagrave, because it ingested dust in its supercharger
It also claims another first, it was the first grand prix car to have a supercharger.

Amazing to think that in 1923 they were mucking about with superchargers and using wind tunnels. Its not so long ago that some of the teams had no access to a wind tunnel!

Lovely pic below of the Fiat:

Last edited:

Grand Prix fanatic..
Nice one mate.

Off TopicHenry Seagrave won the race in a Talbot if memory serves me right? He was an RFC pilot during WW1 (a Major at the end) and won another European GP at San Sebastian in 24. Of course he is better remebered for the 3 Land Speed Records he broke in 1926 with a racing Sunbeam, 1927 with the red 1000HP Sunbeam "Slug" and in 1927 with the fabulous "Golden Arrow". He was killed trying to break 100 mph on Lake Windermere in 1930.

Last edited:

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
Nice one mate.

Henry Seagrave won the race in a Talbot if memory serves me right? He was an RFC pilot during WW1 (a Major at the end) and won another European GP at San Sebastian in 24. Of course he is better remebered for the 3 Land Speed Records he broke in 1926 with a racing Sunbeam, 1927 with the red 100HP Sunbeam "Slug" and in 1927 with the fabulous "Golden Arrow". He was killed trying to break 100 mph on Lake Windermere in 1930.

You old fart.

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_06::pDT_Xtremez_30:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Off TopicHenry Seagrave won the race in a Talbot if memory serves me right? .

How old are you? If memory serves me right....................:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Your memory serves you wrong my friend. Henry Seagrave drove a Sunbeam to win the French GP in 1923. It was actually copied off the design of the previous years Fiat, which was still the 805 chassis.

Copied from Brooklands website:
In 1919 he bought an Opel which he raced at Brooklands, winning three races in 1920. In 1921 he joined the Sunbeam-Talbot-Darracq team and won the Brooklands 200 Mile race being placed in several others, following this in 1922 with four wins at Brooklands and numerous other successes.

1923 saw his most famous and significant win when he took first place in the French Grand Prix in a Sunbeam and then repeated this at San Sebastian the following year. He was destined to become the only British racing driver to win a Grand Prix in a British car for 32 years.

I believe the GP car/team was just Sunbeam.
It also says Sunbeam in big sooper dooper book of F1 stuff!

Studley dangerfcuk

Flight Sergeant
ILLKC,

Your not doing too well in this thread pal. Senility is really setting in if your getting that much wrong.

Can you even remember who won the Belgium GP.

That was last Sunday, 4 days ago, the day before you changed your colostomy bag, it rained that day...................................

Studley :pDT_Xtremez_15::pDT_Xtremez_15::pDT_Xtremez_15:

Grand Prix fanatic..
I didn't look up what car Seagrave drove in 23, I had read about it ages ago in a book about the WSR.

I have seen the Slug and the Golden Arrow at the NMM at Beaulieu (with the Bluebirds, the 350HP Sunbeam and the CN7). Thrust 2 was also there (1983) prior to its sucessful attempt later the same year. Beautiful cars.

Oh, a non Finnish Ferrari driver won the race last Sunday, subject to appeal.:pDT_Xtremez_35:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
No mention of "that" race please. This is the Monza thread.
Nice and hot on Sunday please. I could do with smiling.....:pDT_Xtremez_09:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
That'll be one of the brits then.............now......whatsisname.....ah...Jenson Button, regarded as the rain master! He is easily the best driver in the rain.