• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old People in Airports

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
For a year now I've been using an airport pretty much weekly to fly internally in the UK. Manchester is the one I fly to and from at the end of the week.

During this period I have made some observations about airports. The main one is this and I want to know if I am way off the mark on this one.

Old people - They should have lanes just for them so they don't p1ss off everyone else who is able to crack on because:

They are seriously disadvantaged because air travel now mainly favours the smart phone user. Also air travel and the staff in airports who 'facilitate' said travel are not trained to talk to old people, instead shouting at them in the same way they would a tech-savvy younger person when they feck up.

So when I'm trying to push on through and see an 'old person' I groan and settle in for the debacle about to unfold.

'Oooh should I have done something with all these liquids? I didn't know' (despite there being warnings from the second you bought your ticket, then walking through the airport signs and tannoys, then a ream of border force waving bags and shouting at you).

'Hello young man...we are off to Elevenarife...where are you from?'. This is at the point where you are throwing everything into trays to get x-rayed...it's not time for a lovely fecking chat!

Then there is the walking slow whilst blocking the whole corridor, stopping to read advert signs 'whatever next! Adverts that are videos' seems to attract them. Also the queue at Costa for 30 minutes for them to ask what they sell...despite there being signs all the way down the queue.

Honestly...I've had it with them. Lets have an old people lane at airports where people in cardigans with glasses on chains around the neck will accept paper boarding cards and are willing to talk about the good old days for 20 minutes whilst not hindering the rest of us!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Having a bad week, people at work ask me why I go further to Heathrow rather than Luton or Stanstead, or even Gatwick, reason being fewer holiday makers.

I used to think the special security queues were better, however, if you’ve got a large self entitled group who don’t think the rules apply to them it can be a real pain, obviously not self important enough to pay for the extra special way.

I’m on the run down travel wise in my current role but I have my 5 day trip, hand baggage only, system perfected, not been in the extra check queue with the old and female for quite a while now.

fourteen2two

Corporal
We are oldies but are quite happy with smartphones and check in online whenever possible. We're not all bad!
Airports cunningly get you to walk through all the shops on the way to gates etc. I am a master at ignoring them, wife too.
We do know the rules for security and have no problems there. We know what can go in carry on bags.
I do find the whole airport thing a pain especially when they are busy. Tend to avoid peak times.
Last time we flew( May to Lisbon from Manchester) we had great fun finding the desk for TAP as its not obvious. A staff member showed us. Then got stuck with a bunch of female golfists with their massive bags of golf bats! Luckily they made them go,to a separate check in for big stuff! No doubt charged extra too.
Since retiring we have done a lot of travel so you soon get to know the system.. I do have sympathy having been stuck behind some dodderers too!

Last edited:

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Mmmm, conflicted on this.

Maybe you should have set off earlier knowing this issue? Also, oldies have earned the right to take as much time or care as they like, it's not their fault you're still in the rat race and that they can swan about, care free, as much as they like.

Or like you say, maybe the coffin dodgers need a separate line.

I feel your pain and often get frustrated with old folk but I still try to have patience as it's more than likely how I'm going to end up if I live long enough. God only knows what weird and wonderful technology and ways of doing things awaits us in 30-40 years time

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
For a year now I've been using an airport pretty much weekly to fly internally in the UK. Manchester is the one I fly to and from at the end of the week.

During this period I have made some observations about airports. The main one is this and I want to know if I am way off the mark on this one.

Old people - They should have lanes just for them so they don't p1ss off everyone else who is able to crack on because:

They are seriously disadvantaged because air travel now mainly favours the smart phone user. Also air travel and the staff in airports who 'facilitate' said travel are not trained to talk to old people, instead shouting at them in the same way they would a tech-savvy younger person when they feck up.

So when I'm trying to push on through and see an 'old person' I groan and settle in for the debacle about to unfold.

'Oooh should I have done something with all these liquids? I didn't know' (despite there being warnings from the second you bought your ticket, then walking through the airport signs and tannoys, then a ream of border force waving bags and shouting at you).

'Hello young man...we are off to Elevenarife...where are you from?'. This is at the point where you are throwing everything into trays to get x-rayed...it's not time for a lovely fecking chat!

Then there is the walking slow whilst blocking the whole corridor, stopping to read advert signs 'whatever next! Adverts that are videos' seems to attract them. Also the queue at Costa for 30 minutes for them to ask what they sell...despite there being signs all the way down the queue.

Honestly...I've had it with them. Lets have an old people lane at airports where people in cardigans with glasses on chains around the neck will accept paper boarding cards and are willing to talk about the good old days for 20 minutes whilst not hindering the rest of us!

100% accurate. Can also extend it to anywhere old people can be found!

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
As a frequent traveller I've noticed it's not strictly the old, it's anyone that doesn't frequent airports regularly. They are all equally clueless.

This time of year is especially painful when you are following a full family group through the security process. That group includes all ends of the spectrum.

Mum shouting at kids and hoarding the whole group's passports and then having to sort through and find little Timmy's passport in amongst the 25 passports to show the nice man.

The same Mum, shouting at grandad to hurry up, only he can't, because she's got his passport on the other side of passport control now and can't get back to give it to him.

The same Mum arguing that the 15 200 ml bottles of expensive sun cream are medicine and can she please take them through security.

The issues go on.

Feckless travellers.

It's simple:
nothing in pockets,
phone in bag,
wristwatch in bag,
belt in bag,
laptop ready to grab out,
no liquids in hand luggage.

Wait for feckin ages in the queue for all the other muppets to get through then slide through easily having thought about where you actually are heading today.

(#writingatlengthforpleasure)

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Then got stuck with a bunch of female golfists with their massive bags of golf bats! Luckily they made them go,to a separate check in for big stuff! No doubt charged extra too.
Yep when I've gone golfing abroad the big golf bags were indeed extra and they did have a special "extra faff" check in lane for all larger items, not just golf bats. Keeps the big stuff away from normal punters a good idea I reckon.

I thought most of the people on this forum was an oldie lol. When does one actually become an oldie btw (says he turning 60 in a couple of months)?

Deltaitem

Corporal
I'm with the oldies on this one. They won't be fighting in the bar, won't be a bunch of stag/hen do hooligans, won't throw their toys out of the pram and demand to see a manager, won't sit next to you on the plane with a screaming infant.
Consider your cup half full, and you can usually find an advantage to most situations, even slow old gits in front of you.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
They are seriously disadvantaged because air travel now mainly favours the smart phone user.
Yep that's me!! Never scanned a QR code in my life and do emails on my home computer and phone calls on my phone.

It's not just airports that experience slow oldies. Back in Covid times an old Army buddy of mine was a volunteer at the local vaccination centre. You would expect a bit of patient personal prep so arrrive, roll sleeve up get jabbed go home, that was the plan. But it was October the old dears were wearing more layers than an onion just to get to a skinny arm was taking ages then there was the lengthy chat about the weather, the grandkids, my cat etc etc as some of the oldies hadn't been out of the house for weeks. By mid morning long queues of grumpy oldies waiting in line, the planned time gap between jabs was actually around three times longer than expected. Slow oldies

Dazzy26

Corporal
Is this the fault of the 'oldies' or has society in general become less tolerant towards them? (and remember we will all get old!) I really enjoy listening to WW2 veterans stories and never rushed them, so is it different if we personally are in a rush? Some of the older generation cannot do technology or social media and therefore when out and about talk a lot because it's there only chance of conversion.

On my travels, I have noticed several USA airports that have a separate gate at security for people over 70 so they don't have to go through scanners and a security person checks them. They always seem to be laughing and joking with the passenger whilst carrying out the search.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Regular oldies know to ask for the assistance the folk who only travel once a blue moon don’t, the world is so full of angry people these days, tolerance of others has fallen off a cliff.

Disabled and old and infirm folk should be given a special queue/space for all our benefits, the odd chancer will join the group, but got to let that go.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Old people in supermarkets on a weekend piss me off. They have all midweek to do their bloody shopping but no, they continue to shuffle around on the busiest days, blocking those who have to work longer and longer to fund their shuffling.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It’s going to be much worse for you when you start having that day off per week, these old folk also get in their cars just after the school run and potter around with no real urgency, maintaining a steady speed no matter what the posted limits are.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Old people in supermarkets on a weekend piss me off. They have all midweek to do their bloody shopping
Spot one of the best bits of advice I got when retiring. "Never shop at the weekend"
I don't and can't see a reason to do so when the place is full of workers and shirkers with tribes of rug rats dashing about.

fourteen2two

Corporal
Us too, in fact we also avoid going on holiday in school holiday times! Go to supermarket etc in the week it's quieter.
It amazes me that a favourite occupation of oaps is going to garden centres at weekends! We are oaps and don't go near the places, unless absolutely necessary and never at weekends.
Our neighbours who are retired, go to a local one for a carvery on Wednesdays and Sundays every week.Not our thing at all.

Old people in supermarkets on a weekend piss me off. They have all midweek to do their bloody shopping but no, they continue to shuffle around on the busiest days, blocking those who have to work longer and longer to fund their shuffling.
As do you, the supermarkets are open until late at night. Deal with it!

Back