• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Promotion lottery

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Do you know this guy? Was he deserving of it? I've never worked on a Sqn and have been 2nd line on/off aircraft my whole career. I wouldn't be very impressed if I didn't get my third eventually just because I haven't been on a Sqn. It does my nut in when people come in to my work off a Sqn and think they are the dogs, they soon realise that not every bay is as easy as the picture they have in their heads. Likewise I know when I end up on a Sqn I will also have plenty to learn.

You really need to get a proper job on a real Sqn where you can work hard and show what you're made of!!

But sometimes I believe it's a case of big fish, small pond who shine in bays, but put them in different environment, i.e. a large sqn and they suddenly find life a little more harder and don't show any of that praised potential at all.

I think Sleddog has it bang on, being the 'best' of 5 people in a environment exposed to a fairly limited variety of work is much easier than being the best of 15 working the whole jet.

Although this is nowhere near the way it should be there is no easy way to draw a comparison between individuals at 1st and 2nd line.

I did hear a rumour that SJAR's are moving towards a more numerical style needing much less narrative than before?

Cock Pit

LAC
I am also in a similar situation to the original poster.

Been in three different posts as a Cpl, due to station disbanding and disestablished posts in the other. I have had to start from "scratch" each time. I am seeing guys with alot less time in and experience being promoted in front of me. Some of them have been in the same section as an SAC to Cpl.

How can I become #1 or #2 of the shift against these guys?
The board only read your last three assessments, they don't know that I have been in three roles vs the #1 guy on my shift that all he has ever worked on is the same jet type/bay.

There is presently allot of acting ranks in my section, again they are using the guys who have been in the job longer and have alot more experience on type than me. I understand they will be chosen first over myself, another plus for their assessment. I don't feel big headed in saying that I am good at my trade, but compared to my colleges on shift I have alot to learn for my specific post to get to their standard, due to having to start again.

I am at a loss with what to do next tbo.

Back