• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Promotions?!?

davie77

LAC
Lads, No I am not an ultra sporty type, And when I am speaking about these sports, it was in the past tense. I don't do them anymore hence I raised the question of secondary duties.
As I dont intend to take any on, because I am overwhelmed with my primary duty due to lack of manpower. I can't see any good future for myself.

Which brings me back to the question about time promotion and thus my original question.

And as for SNCO's they dont have any balls and spine anyway after TmT2 and IMLC do they ?.....

sooty77

LAC
Case and point 1:
J/T at my place has for the last 3 years been on SPEC Recs and has been told that untill he does a secondary duty he will not be picked up.

Case and point 2:
I do know a lad who was on my Mechs course, he played RAF rugby and he got his tapes very quickly, he was never at work though.

Don't get me wrong if someone wants to play sport or do a secondary duty then fine but it's in the wording "SECONDARY" not "PRIMARY" people should be looked at for what the get paid to do!!!!

D

DrunkenMonki

Unfortunately for some, they get promoted before they should. Just ask your ex-sqn buddies.....

Oh dear, are they still upset that an SAC (T) got promoted before they did? In my defence, I knew what the score with secondary duties and sports were, and I did them, but not so that it affected my primary duty. How people can complain about not getting promoted when they know what the score is... its beyond me.

Oh well, here I am about to increment upto top payband Cpl at Waddo while they are still doing servicings as JT's at Marham. Who's the fool?

sooty77

LAC
Oh dear, are they still upset that an SAC (T) got promoted before they did? In my defence, I knew what the score with secondary duties and sports were, and I did them, but not so that it affected my primary duty. How people can complain about not getting promoted when they know what the score is... its beyond me.

Oh well, here I am about to increment upto top payband Cpl at Waddo while they are still doing servicings as JT's at Marham. Who's the fool?

If you read my first post you will see that I do have a very good secondary duty,
but I do that because I want to not because it looks good on my 6000

D

DrunkenMonki

Yeah, I read it sooty, was just responding to a bit of baiting from an old acquantance.

My Sport was Orienteering, which I've always done, and still do. The fact that the RAF did it too was good for me. My secondary duty was the Junior Ranks club, something I felt, and feel strongly about supporting. Again it looks good on your assesment, but was done from a genuine interest. You should be happy to take credit for the extra stuff you do, not hide it.

I now do some charity stuff that i don't put on my 6000. The reason is simple - I do not want any further promotion. An extra couple of grand to write assesment, do independant checks etc etc does not seem worth it to me. Cpl is the best rank I think, enough responsibility to make a difference, but not so much as you go home thinking about it.

Of course, I was never a JT, many say that was the best rank, i'll never know.

P

pie sandwich

If you read my first post you will see that I do have a very good secondary duty,
but I do that because I want to not because it looks good on my 6000

:PDT_Xtremez_14: :PDT_Xtremez_14:

There we go school boy error, your doing it because you like it not because it looks good

When will people learn!!!

Perhaps you could always try to sex it up a bit on your 6000, and make it sound more important than it is.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Think carefully here; are they all ginger?

Anyway,

You will not get promotion to SNCO without some heavyweight secondary duties AND being very good at your job. I picked this up from the selection board I sat in on about a year ago.

Could you be so kind as to answer a few questions about promotion boards:

1. Do the board only look at your assessments or do they also scrutinise your 'file' ?

2. Do they take in to consideration age, length of service and remaining service ?

Maybe there are others lurking that have also had experience sitting on boards that would like to comment.

Cheers

sooty77

LAC

There we go school boy error, your doing it because you like it not because it looks good

When will people learn!!!

Perhaps you could always try to sex it up a bit on your 6000, and make it sound more important than it is.

I do sex it up a bit but the fact that I do it should'nt mean anything I am bloody good at my job and that should be what I get marked on not that I work with kids or count sweets in the tea bar!!!!

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Could you be so kind as to answer a few questions about promotion boards:

1. Do the board only look at your assessments or do they also scrutinise your 'file' ?

2. Do they take in to consideration age, length of service and remaining service ?

Maybe there are others lurking that have also had experience sitting on boards that would like to comment.

Cheers

Hi.

The last board I sat on was for Sgt to FS (aircrew). I was present only as an observer.
They looked initially at the 1st and 2nd RO's comments. This process sorts the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. Everyone on the board then had around 5 minutes to read through the complete assessment, including the scores awarded, for each candidate.
There were around 8 to 15 candidates for perhaps 2 promotions.
Once everyone has had time to read every assessment, a shortlist is arrived at through a scoring system by the board. In the event that they have perhaps 4 candidates for the 2 posts, they start to work back through previous years assessment write-ups and scores, until they end up with the 2 required promotions.

they on't scrutinise your 'file'. They do however, place a great deal of importance on secondary duties, whether its a 'hobby' anyway, or whether the individual is doing the secondary duty in order to gain promotion and subsequently being inconvenienced by it. More weight is attached to the latter!

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Hi.

The last board I sat on was for Sgt to FS (aircrew). I was present only as an observer.
They looked initially at the 1st and 2nd RO's comments. This process sorts the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. Everyone on the board then had around 5 minutes to read through the complete assessment, including the scores awarded, for each candidate.
There were around 8 to 15 candidates for perhaps 2 promotions.
Once everyone has had time to read every assessment, a shortlist is arrived at through a scoring system by the board. In the event that they have perhaps 4 candidates for the 2 posts, they start to work back through previous years assessment write-ups and scores, until they end up with the 2 required promotions.

they on't scrutinise your 'file'. They do however, place a great deal of importance on secondary duties, whether its a 'hobby' anyway, or whether the individual is doing the secondary duty in order to gain promotion and subsequently being inconvenienced by it. More weight is attached to the latter!

Thanks for the reply, perhaps the whole secondary duty issue was due to the relatively small field. It would be interesting to hear somebody else's view from another board to see if they are standardised or each one looks for different things.

Inevertouchedit

Flight Sergeant
I'm out of the Mob soon so I am not that fussed but.....

How do you get promoted?

Giving a CT's missus the "benefit of my experience" at Marham did it for me.

Got called into JENGO's Office..."Ahhh SAC W****, do you know a CT B*ll from the Bay ??"
"No Sir, but I know his wife"
"Good answer Young Man, now f*ck off to Brawdy!!"

3 months later I got a Fitters' Course.

sooty77

LAC
Giving a CT's missus the "benefit of my experience" at Marham did it for me.

Got called into JENGO's Office..."Ahhh SAC W****, do you know a CT B*ll from the Bay ??"
"No Sir, but I know his wife"
"Good answer Young Man, now f*ck off to Brawdy!!"

3 months later I got a Fitters' Course.

Fair one but have you seen my CT's mrs????

E

enginesuck

Case and point 1:
J/T at my place has for the last 3 years been on SPEC Recs and has been told that untill he does a secondary duty he will not be picked up.

Case and point 2:
I do know a lad who was on my Mechs course, he played RAF rugby and he got his tapes very quickly, he was never at work though.

Don't get me wrong if someone wants to play sport or do a secondary duty then fine but it's in the wording "SECONDARY" not "PRIMARY" people should be looked at for what the get paid to do!!!!

Doesnt matter if you have a spec or a high its how it is written me old fruit , have you not had an upfront and honest chat with your tm yet? Remember people claim to have X amounts of specs so not as to lose face.... Oh and im sure you know that this years prom board is all to **** because of the closure of SAR etc hang in there matey.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Doesnt matter if you have a spec or a high its how it is written me old fruit , have you not had an upfront and honest chat with your tm yet? Remember people claim to have X amounts of specs so not as to lose face.... Oh and im sure you know that this years prom board is all to **** because of the closure of SAR etc hang in there matey.

Quite agree, I read with interest the notes disseminated from the 2006 board. The Squadron Leader was quite emphatic that the content of the assessment HAS to match the promotion recommendation. You will lose points if they do not tally.

I for one would much rather receive a well written high than a weak spec.

Back