• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trade Malpractices

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think we tend to stretch the rules based on the urgency of a job and the resources available. I know we shouldn't but we all do it in some form or other.

If a leatherman gets a jet / Herc flying that has to be somewhere urgently, (ie. Close air support / Medivac where lives are in danger), then let it go.

But in all other, "normal", day to day work it should all be by the book.

Just a humble Ex riggers' opinion. :PDT_Xtremez_26:

Which is basically what's been said all through the thread mate. Unfortunately, some people don't see it that way.

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
an occasion a few years back in the south of France , the U/C dry bay had a fuel leak so the dry tank bay panel had to be removed, one of the heavy crew cheifs used an spot on bit of riggering to remove a screw that was rounded, he used a 10ft long towing arm pivoted on the mainwheel of the jet pushing the last screw that would not play the game, leverage and all that.

Brilliance, adapt overcome whatever you call it , trade practises out the window but the job was done, if it had slipped yes a big dunt on the lower wing. Why are the engineers in the RAF the best , becuase we think outside the box. The fleet would be ****ed now if it was not for the boys in my view. Malpractise though is a diffrent story and thats not acceptable but i will be 100% truth , I have not in 19 years seen any bad engineering , that gives testament to the old school ways , not sure about todays recruits so far I still watching closely

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
It needs to be. Those cheap draper wrench and socket sets you purchased down the local market are forever falling to bits!! LOL

Draper?? What strange tools do you speak of?? Facom and Gearwrench tends to be found in my tool box..

Even the halfords professional stuff is lasting (only got a couple of items mind).

Grand Prix fanatic..
Wot he said ^^^^^^^^^^^. There are those who would buy another one and stay stum! Your average RAF bod hasn't got that option what with tool etching, tool kit colour codes and such like, plus of course they wouldn't have a clue where to buy them at civvy rates.:PDT_Xtremez_14:

Colour coding? That went out with the ark.. Unfortunately IMHO..

Grand Prix fanatic..
Here at the blunt base of the RAF the subject of trade malpractices has been at the fore recently. We have experienced further trainees utilising incorrect tools or their own tools in the training regime whilst suggesting or claiming that this is simply a reflection of what they know goes on the 'real world'.
What is the current techie cardres' view on this and what do you do if you see someone using the wrong tools for a job. Leave them be as long as the job gets done?

That is up to the Units stadards and training cells to sort out IMHO. Ball is in your court WGAF.

W

wgaf

That is up to the Units stadards and training cells to sort out IMHO. Ball is in your court WGAF.
It can only be sorted if it's reported. While training cells will do their utmost to sort any problems we are told about, if we don't know then there isn't a great deal we can do.
As a training cell our actual remit doesn't cover line walking and keeping an eye on peoples gash practices. Maybe it should?

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
Well i have just read through a lot of pages of inane drivel, That just seem to go around in circles. The Facts are that engineering practices, code of conduct blah blah etc are all laid down. Every job has a proceedure which is to be followed, Regardless. If you dont and something happens then well, aint got a leg to stand on. Every single one of us knows this full stop, unless you really are a mong of the highest order.

From what i have read several of you have ALWAYS done the job according to the godly books and have Never deviated from the MP once. What an absolute load of crap as i can gaurantee you have.

One example: Do you always as you should read all the coshh/h&s warnings etc associated with each job everytime even if you have done it a thousand times. My guess is NO, you dont, and saying you have done it before is not an excuse. So instantly you have deviated from the jap/mps etc. I do believe on paperwork the time taken to do the job includes you reading this important info!

Do you after doing a job several times when it tells you to remove something that is for easyer access, relise you can do the job without removing it therefore saving yourself extra work. you have deviated from the proceedure.

As for the missuse of tools well it happens and i can't beleive some of you have never used a tool for something other than what it was designed for. I mean why are there always scribes in tool stores but there is never any need to scribe things. Do i deserve to go to colchester for using a scribe to drag a peice of FOD from a hard to reach place or using a pair of snips to heaven for bid pull out a split pin!!!!!!!!! these are just two very simple examples.

As for personal tools well each to there own we know we are not supposed to have/ use them but then again we aren't supposed to speed in a car but people do.

If as shug said your on ops and it gets the job done who cares. Hell in telic an op was going on and one of the aircraft was about to lift and it went tits. the whole op which include british, iraqi ,spams forces was hanging on this aircraft if it didnt lift people could of died and the op failed. did me and the supervisor that went running out to the pan to find the problem put on overalls, safety boots, gloves, spend ten minutes putting on a safety harness and helmet and then not using my maglite in my mouth as raf torches dont fit so i could quickly change a component. er no i went running out in what i was wearing (dessies and a t-shirt) put my body armour on whislt running found out what the problem was ran back in got the component. by this time the aircraft had shut down but kept the apu running (oo thats naughty) changed the component using a maglite jammed in my gob. got off aircraft, started up and was fine then it fcuked off. Ok so a could of fallen off and got hurt i was half deaf after finishing, did i care no. If some had died because i had fannied about like a retard i dont think i could of lived with myself. Paper work was done later. In fact the aircrew and CO thanked us repeatedly beacaude of the way we went about it and saved the RAF'S face. This is what makes RAF engineers different. we have to do things sometimes on the fly that is against what everything is laid down. But back in england and the civvie world this SHOULD never happen because things arent life and death.

Anyway more inane drivel for this thread to read though.

Awaiting massive incoming

W

wgaf

Well i have just read through a lot of pages of inane drivel, That just seem to go around in circles. The Facts are that engineering practices, code of conduct blah blah etc are all laid down. Every job has a proceedure which is to be followed, Regardless. If you dont and something happens then well, aint got a leg to stand on. Every single one of us knows this full stop, unless you really are a mong of the highest order.

From what i have read several of you have ALWAYS done the job according to the godly books and have Never deviated from the MP once. What an absolute load of crap as i can gaurantee you have.

One example: Do you always as you should read all the coshh/h&s warnings etc associated with each job everytime even if you have done it a thousand times. My guess is NO, you dont, and saying you have done it before is not an excuse. So instantly you have deviated from the jap/mps etc. I do believe on paperwork the time taken to do the job includes you reading this important info!

Do you after doing a job several times when it tells you to remove something that is for easyer access, relise you can do the job without removing it therefore saving yourself extra work. you have deviated from the proceedure.

As for the missuse of tools well it happens and i can't beleive some of you have never used a tool for something other than what it was designed for. I mean why are there always scribes in tool stores but there is never any need to scribe things. Do i deserve to go to colchester for using a scribe to drag a peice of FOD from a hard to reach place or using a pair of snips to heaven for bid pull out a split pin!!!!!!!!! these are just two very simple examples.

As for personal tools well each to there own we know we are not supposed to have/ use them but then again we aren't supposed to speed in a car but people do.

If as shug said your on ops and it gets the job done who cares. Hell in telic an op was going on and one of the aircraft was about to lift and it went tits. the whole op which include british, iraqi ,spams forces was hanging on this aircraft if it didnt lift people could of died and the op failed. did me and the supervisor that went running out to the pan to find the problem put on overalls, safety boots, gloves, spend ten minutes putting on a safety harness and helmet and then not using my maglite in my mouth as raf torches dont fit so i could quickly change a component. er no i went running out in what i was wearing (dessies and a t-shirt) put my body armour on whislt running found out what the problem was ran back in got the component. by this time the aircraft had shut down but kept the apu running (oo thats naughty) changed the component using a maglite jammed in my gob. got off aircraft, started up and was fine then it fcuked off. Ok so a could of fallen off and got hurt i was half deaf after finishing, did i care no. If some had died because i had fannied about like a retard i dont think i could of lived with myself. Paper work was done later. In fact the aircrew and CO thanked us repeatedly beacaude of the way we went about it and saved the RAF'S face. This is what makes RAF engineers different. we have to do things sometimes on the fly that is against what everything is laid down. But back in england and the civvie world this SHOULD never happen because things arent life and death.

Awaiting massive incoming[/QUOTE/]
At last, a voice of reason. Many of us have had to do things on ops that others haven't. I venture to suggest that those people have proved themselves to be better engineers than those on here pontifacting about the rules and never ahving broken them before!

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I've worked with civvies several times in my time in the RAF and without exception I can say that their tool control and engineering standards are nothing short of shocking and far below the standards I would expect of an LAC straight from Cosford.

I'm pretty sure the guys (or gals) you've worked with might say the same about the way the RAF works too.

From reading your statement of working several times with civvies (above) I have worked with a great deal more of both sides than you have and I can possibly see the differences with a bit more clarity than you can.

Firstly, you don’t say if the civvies you worked with were hired as local labour or as licensed engineers, or even if they were in UK or not – national standards may differ.

If they were hired as labour, that is probably what you got – unqualified labour possibly fit for tool carrying.

Whilst you may have ten years or more in the RAF - a civvy contractor is not likely to be familiar with the trade and rank defined restrictions, or terminology, of working within a military environment - in fact your working environment and the way you manage your work is almost totally alien to a UK Civil LAE. In the same way as you would be lost in the civil aviation world.

Qualified LAE “Connies” do work to different standards from the MOD’s, as dictated by their national and indeed international standards. (e.g. The classification of locking devices (lock-wire, stiff-nuts, anchor nuts) and system locking standards are different) As a matter of law, civil aviation engineers are not allowed to sign for military aircraft work using their civil qualifications. This is why the MOD now has "MAOS" - to allow civvies to work alongside - but not in - military environments. Also, UK military regulations do not hold up to civil law courts as they are ambiguous in almost all occasions.

For info, I do not believe that EASA is the panacea of aviation regulations – in fact most of the UK believes it is a poor collection of the lowest valued common denominators acceptable to the poorest states of the EU that could by mustered together by European lawyers. EASA defines the very lowest standards of maintenance we could hope to meet. However, even in this low-value status of EASA - they still require that engineers conduct their work to the letter of the Maintenance Procedure and report any difficulties to the OEM.

Within EASA there is provision for operating aircraft outside a “Controlled Environment” where the rules are not applied as required (the operational situations you describe) but on return to the “Controlled Environment” the aircraft systems disturbed must be re-checked and certified compliant with the type's airworthiness standards, and the AMM/CMM, before continuing operations in controlled conditions once more.

You all describe doing what you perceived needed to be done at the time to get an aircraft/mission completed - and I respect you for that devotion to your job in a particular situation. But that success doesn't mean that what you did was legal. Even after a successful mission you could still be brought to court for conducting maintenance "not IAW the AMM".

The start of this thread was about the trade malpractices that are being treated/used as "NORMS". I believe this is the result of unapproved and uncontrolled trade practices used "on the front Line" being repeated in normal conditions and taught (by example) to personnel that don't yet know the difference. Strong managers are need to enforce the difference/correction of standards before the rot really sets in.

W

wgaf

I'm pretty sure the guys (or gals) you've worked with might say the same about the way the RAF works too.

From reading your statement of working several times with civvies (above) I have worked with a great deal more of both sides than you have and I can possibly see the differences with a bit more clarity than you can.

Firstly, you don’t say if the civvies you worked with were hired as local labour or as licensed engineers, or even if they were in UK or not – national standards may differ.

If they were hired as labour, that is probably what you got – unqualified labour possibly fit for tool carrying.

Whilst you may have ten years or more in the RAF - a civvy contractor is not likely to be familiar with the trade and rank defined restrictions, or terminology, of working within a military environment - in fact your working environment and the way you manage your work is almost totally alien to a UK Civil LAE. In the same way as you would be lost in the civil aviation world.

Qualified LAE “Connies” do work to different standards from the MOD’s, as dictated by their national and indeed international standards. (e.g. The classification of locking devices (lock-wire, stiff-nuts, anchor nuts) and system locking standards are different) As a matter of law, civil aviation engineers are not allowed to sign for military aircraft work using their civil qualifications. This is why the MOD now has "MAOS" - to allow civvies to work alongside - but not in - military environments. Also, UK military regulations do not hold up to civil law courts as they are ambiguous in almost all occasions.

For info, I do not believe that EASA is the panacea of aviation regulations – in fact most of the UK believes it is a poor collection of the lowest valued common denominators acceptable to the poorest states of the EU that could by mustered together by European lawyers. EASA defines the very lowest standards of maintenance we could hope to meet. However, even in this low-value status of EASA - they still require that engineers conduct their work to the letter of the Maintenance Procedure and report any difficulties to the OEM.

Within EASA there is provision for operating aircraft outside a “Controlled Environment” where the rules are not applied as required (the operational situations you describe) but on return to the “Controlled Environment” the aircraft systems disturbed must be re-checked and certified compliant with the type's airworthiness standards, and the AMM/CMM, before continuing operations in controlled conditions once more.

You all describe doing what you perceived needed to be done at the time to get an aircraft/mission completed - and I respect you for that devotion to your job in a particular situation. But that success doesn't mean that what you did was legal. Even after a successful mission you could still be brought to court for conducting maintenance "not IAW the AMM".

The start of this thread was about the trade malpractices that are being treated/used as "NORMS". I believe this is the result of unapproved and uncontrolled trade practices used "on the front Line" being repeated in normal conditions and taught (by example) to personnel that don't yet know the difference. Strong managers are need to enforce the difference/correction of standards before the rot really sets in.
Ivory towers springs to mind!

sumps

Sergeant

Awaiting massive incoming[/QUOTE/]
At last, a voice of reason. Many of us have had to do things on ops that others haven't. I venture to suggest that those people have proved themselves to be better engineers than those on here pontifacting about the rules and never ahving broken them before!

No just a small incoming - doubtless with the pending Charles Haddon-Cave report, the jerno's will have cut and copied exerts from this and hence are poised ready to paste! - All of you that have left comments alluding to malpractices will have stoked the embers of 33 Sqn headlines and added to whatever is about to be laid at door of RAF Aircraft Engineering next Wednesday. Think about it!!! Makes you wonder who (and/or why) started this thread at this time.

Last edited:

duffman

Flight Sergeant
No just a small incoming - doubtless with the pending Charles Haddon-Cave report, the jerno's will have cut and copied exerts from this and hence are poised ready to paste! - All of you that have left comments alluding to malpractices will have stoked the embers of 33 Sqn headlines and added to whatever is about to be laid at door of RAF Aircraft Engineering next Wednesday. Think about it!!! Makes you wonder who (and/or why) started this thread at this time.

Not really, it's too complicated an issue for the press, armed forces=good politicians=bad is the story or variations there of. It will be 'Slashed budgets lead to a/c crashes' or something like that. A few quotes may make it into the press, but nothing more than a small part in an article. 33 sqn the crash at Catterick hasn't anything to do with report, that's an aircrew matter.

sumps

Sergeant
Not really, it's too complicated an issue for the press, armed forces=good politicians=bad is the story or variations there of. It will be 'Slashed budgets lead to a/c crashes' or something like that. A few quotes may make it into the press, but nothing more than a small part in an article. 33 sqn the crash at Catterick hasn't anything to do with report, that's an aircrew matter.

It may be a small part in an article but it will be back-up to the damming headline and an addition to those headlines that have already been put out there. The last thing the RAF needs is another programme, such as C4 Dispatches made in the late 90s, claiming the state of RAF engineering is in poor state of health then and getting hold of dissatisfied techies to admit to malpractices as happened then. I must admit the programme was poorly made but it all stacks up and only serves to the question of the credibility of RAF Aircraft Maintenance. However with comments made on this forum/thread will make the media’s job a whole lot easier. I urge caution in what any self–conscious techie has to post.

G

gemarriott

Awaiting massive incoming

Bravo mate we have all done it or something similar when needs must you adapt.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer

I started this thread to garner comments from the wider RAF about attitudes our trainees have towards malpractices; I was completely unaware that the report you mention was due out next week. I am known to at least three of the forum moderators any of whom could call a halt to the thread and slap my wrist if they thought it was getting out of hand.

Back