• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Voltage Conversion Question

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I think that may be the solution SS.

BB how is the transformer connected to the speakers? If it's via a jack plug or similar SS solution is perfect.

Anyway why do you want laptop speakers in your car?

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Depending on the application, you could use an FM transmitter with a 3.5mm jack to link into your car speakers. This is how I'm setting up my tablet PC in the car.

Like I say, depends on what you need the speakers for I suppose.

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
I think that may be the solution SS.

BB how is the transformer connected to the speakers? If it's via a jack plug or similar SS solution is perfect.

Anyway why do you want laptop speakers in your car?

Mains cable to a small transformer within the primary speaker which then connects to the PCB.

Ive mounted my sat-nav unit onto the dash but its still a bit quiet, so seeing as i have the interior in pieces anyway, im gonna mount the speakers in the roof lining either side of the sunroof, and then connect the jack to the sat-nav headphone socket. :PDT_Xtremez_35:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Mains cable to a small transformer within the primary speaker which then connects to the PCB.

Ive mounted my sat-nav unit onto the dash but its still a bit quiet, so seeing as i have the interior in pieces anyway, im gonna mount the speakers in the roof lining either side of the sunroof, and then connect the jack to the sat-nav headphone socket. :PDT_Xtremez_35:

Do what I suggested with the FM transmitter, and play it back through your stereo! You can have it as loud as you want then.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Intelligence Analyst, and we dont have a fairy bay where i am unfortunately.

I can tell you what something is, i just cant tell you how it works!!

Let the **** taking start!!! haha :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Billy boy, you have to admit something from your past, seeing as you replaced me in the Air Camera Bay at RIGC(NI), Aldergrove, come on now, own up!!

MadFad

SAC
Is it a TomTom, if so, TomTom do an FM transmitter for the 510,710, 910 that transmits to your car stereo. its @ £35

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
This is going to take you a long time, unless you either know someone in AV or can persuade the local shop to do it for you.

But:
Assumption 1. You want to use it for both mains and in the car.
A. You'll need to dind the 6v dc connection from the rectifier (after the transformer), and you'll need something to drop 12 to 6v. The ciruits are not difficult, but can get tricky at times. This will require some skill in soldering.
If your speakers have a socket for 6vdc input AS WELL, get a suitable dropper thingy (stabilised supply) and use that. (my pc speakers have a socket for external supply).
B. Buy youreself a small Inverter (12v in 240v ac out) and use that to supply mains to the units.

Assumtion 2: You're going to leave it in the car.
Rip the mains sections (transformer, rectifier, capacitor) out and replace it with a stabilised dropper. This will also require some skill in soldering.

Possibility:
1 Buy yourself a new set of speakers with a 12v dc supply requirement.
2 Ask Maplin, Halfords or someone for thier advice about computer speakers in the car (they ain't many watts output).

Good Luck

Shugster

Warrant Officer
To fit an inverter to convert to mains and then convert back to DC will be expensive and very inefficient in terms of power loss through the two conversions.

You need a wiggly type bod top rip the transformer out and fit a DC-DC converter, this is more efficient than a conventional voltage regulator that has to dissipate the unwanted voltage at the consumed current level.

Something like these should do it as long as you read the specs first...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?MenuNo=12488&MenuName=DC-DC+Convertors&FromMenu=y&doy=Search

B

bigfella

Get a soldering iron de-solder the transformer. solder in it's place a couple of cables to a cigarette lighter plug and your all set. 12V is 12V it matters not if its a 12V torch battery or a power station. The item - assuming its is serviceable - will only draw the current it needs to operate.

Batteries dont "kick out" amps. The resistance of their load determins the current flowing within the circuit.

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
Is this funny?

Is this funny?

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at some of this advice.

all I can say is why?

go with the fm transmitter option if you can live without the radio on.
or
get some usb powered speakers and get a 12v -5v lighter plug.

Some of the old handsfree kits may have a 3.5 jack and will sort the power out for you?

Buy a mapbook

or if you just want it as a project go for the DC convertor cct or stick a resistor and a diode in circuit or voltage regulator. All a bit complicated to be honest?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
To fit an inverter to convert to mains and then convert back to DC will be expensive and very inefficient in terms of power loss through the two conversions.

Something like these should do it as long as you read the specs first...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?MenuNo=12488&MenuName=DC-DC+Convertors&FromMenu=y&doy=Search

Yes, it is expensive, but it is simple and it works.
Actually, the price of inverters has fallen quite a bit recently.
And it's easier than soldering if you aion't sure.

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
Personally I think Billy Boy is having a laugh at you all, why?
'Cos he trained as a Fairy before remustering.
If he isn't, he needs a slap!!!

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Get a soldering iron de-solder the transformer. solder in it's place a couple of cables to a cigarette lighter plug and your all set. 12V is 12V it matters not if its a 12V torch battery or a power station. The item - assuming its is serviceable - will only draw the current it needs to operate.

Batteries dont "kick out" amps. The resistance of their load determins the current flowing within the circuit.

So your advice is to connect a 12V suppy to a circuit that is expecting 6V?! :PDT_Xtremez_09:

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
Personally I think Billy Boy is having a laugh at you all, why?
'Cos he trained as a Fairy before remustering.
If he isn't, he needs a slap!!!

Not having laugh mate. I'm afrad i need a slap!!!

Spent too long in rooms with no windows. I was a sh1t techie anyway, as you can tell.

Back