• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wii on home network

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
I have pretty much decided that im buying a Nintendo Wii.

Now i noticed that it can connect to your existing wireless network to gain access to the internet which got me thinking, and which pretty much leads to my question.

I have an external hard drive connected to my desktop, so will the Wii be able to view pictures and play music that i have on the hard drive when it is connected to the network.

Does anyone have any ideas????? :PDT_Xtremez_30:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Depends on how you show your shared files, i have a home network with a mail server(IMAP) and the downloadable web browser works a treat.

If your main PC is running a web server to share the files then more than likely.

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal
As far as sharing my files and folders, all i have done is right click on the external drive and then just turned it into a shared drive after which my laptop could see it.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
As far as sharing my files and folders, all i have done is right click on the external drive and then just turned it into a shared drive after which my laptop could see it.

The files will be shared via SAMBA then so i doubt it will work, will have a bash with Mrs CMs PC(mine doesn't run windows or mac os x) when i get in and let you know.

C

Comms_Lad

Dont get a Wii, over rated cheap piece of plastic tat, I hate to endorse one of bills products but the Xbox 360 is far superior. Hell a standard Xbox is far superior.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
The files will be shared via SAMBA then so i doubt it will work, will have a bash with Mrs CMs PC(mine doesn't run windows or mac os x) when i get in and let you know.

Sorry tried it and no joy!

oh CommsLad if it's so poor as you put it why is it outselling both the 360 and PS3. It's designed for a different experience and level of interaction something the more powerful next gen consoles fail to provide.

C

Comms_Lad

Sorry tried it and no joy!

oh CommsLad if it's so poor as you put it why is it outselling both the 360 and PS3. It's designed for a different experience and level of interaction something the more powerful next gen consoles fail to provide.

Its the whole Nintendo marketing scam, look how well the N64 and Gamecube sold and they were both crap too.

I know its a whole new level of interaction, but if I wanted to move that much I wouldnt be playing a game. I would be in the gym

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Dont get a Wii, over rated cheap piece of plastic tat, I hate to endorse one of bills products but the Xbox 360 is far superior. Hell a standard Xbox is far superior.

Sorry mate I will agree to disagree with you, we have a wii and it is awesome, the gameplay is typically Nintendo but I don't see that as a downside. Nintendo have never been about super physics or photo realism, they have been about fun, something I fear alot of games manufacturers have forgotten about. Doom was fun, Doom 3 was eye candy and Half-life 2's source engine was built up so much despite Valve infecting it with a virus called steam.

I have seen the x-box 360 and it ain't much, I would rather have a PS3. Then again, if I'm paying the best part of £400 for something, I'll have a PC.

Off Topic Even cheap PC's have better graphics, more flexibility and added longevity to the games you come to love. I have a gig and a half of add ons for Half life, I still play them now. How many people with Half-life for the PS2 have played the likes of They Hunger, Redemtion, Azure sheep. None, no console's will have an online community spawning new levels and mods for them.

ZebrasKneecaps

Corporal

I am getting a Wii due to the fact that i have a 6 year old and a 3 year old that would love to join in with me, and if it means them jumping around while playing rather than sitting there with a controller never moving anything other than their thumbs, then im a happy dad.

Also, at £179.99 for the basic package, i think thats pretty damn reasonable (apart from the fact that it should really come with a second controller). I can't afford the best part of £400 for these super-consoles, and to be honest as far as myself and my kids are concerned, i'd much rather save money than kill some kind of monster that looks just a little bit more real than on the Nintendo.

Thanks for your advice on the subject, but im afraid im on my way to cheap plastic tats-ville :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Dont suppose you know whether i can network it do you? :PDT_Xtremez_15:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
I am getting a Wii due to the fact that i have a 6 year old and a 3 year old that would love to join in with me, and if it means them jumping around while playing rather than sitting there with a controller never moving anything other than their thumbs, then im a happy dad.

Also, at £179.99 for the basic package, i think thats pretty damn reasonable (apart from the fact that it should really come with a second controller). I can't afford the best part of £400 for these super-consoles, and to be honest as far as myself and my kids are concerned, i'd much rather save money than kill some kind of monster that looks just a little bit more real than on the Nintendo.

Thanks for your advice on the subject, but im afraid im on my way to cheap plastic tats-ville :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Dont suppose you know whether i can network it do you? :PDT_Xtremez_15:

Yes you can it has built in WiFi that can access WPA2, WPA, WEP, there is also a wired lan adapter out/coming out shortly. The first online game is Mario Strikers Charged but i can see stuff coming out quickly.

Last edited:
C

Comms_Lad

Tell you what I'll get a cross Off Topic (closest thing I could find at short notice) any one want to nail me to it lol.

Fair one, in regards to getting the kids to play along, the price will always be a contention issue and I think all consoles should come with two controllers standard anyway.

Im a graphics freak so I like it shiny and uber realistic and I have a penchant for the violence and although fun Nintendo just dont do this well enough.

That saying I hardly touch my Xbox now, as Im stuck head first in X3 on my pc, try it you wont touch a console for a while trust me

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Tell you what I'll get a cross Off Topic (closest thing I could find at short notice) any one want to nail me to it lol.

Fair one, in regards to getting the kids to play along, the price will always be a contention issue and I think all consoles should come with two controllers standard anyway.

Im a graphics freak so I like it shiny and uber realistic and I have a penchant for the violence and although fun Nintendo just dont do this well enough.

That saying I hardly touch my Xbox now, as Im stuck head first in X3 on my pc, try it you wont touch a console for a while trust me
Off Topic
Red Steel, COD3 and many others for violence, BTW it was the Wii version of Manhunt 2 that caused the problem because of the realistic actions you need to carry out to get the kills.
Off Topic

P.S. out of nail lol

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
The Wii is fantastic. Absolute bargain which is why its the faster selling console of the three (PS3 and X Box360 being the other two)

I have Mario Strikers and its online. I play my brother on it online. Ar5ehole is far better than me at it though!

What do you mean by networking it? Are you wanting to view stuff on the Wii from your hard drive? I'm not sure how you would go about doing that.

I know you can put a memory card in from your camera and view the photos and also the Wii has an online browser.

As for violence, Resident Evil has recently come out for the Wii. It sold out in my local Game straight away!

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
As for violence, Resident Evil has recently come out for the Wii. It sold out in my local Game straight away!

Thats because its amazing:PDT_Xtremez_30: but not very gory apart from the chainsaw weilding lunatics that cut our head off, the exploding heads/blood, no not violent at all.

M

maninthevan

Nintendo Wii is the way ahead for 'FAMILY FUN'. I managed to persuade Scaleywife into getting our house one and even she will admit, it rocks.

Both the nippers (12 & 8) absolutely love playing the thing. Have had it for approx 5 weeks or so now and I think it has been on virtually ever night since.

Wii Tennis rocks, apart from when your 8yr old beats the ****e out of you at it!!

Just got Brain Academy or whatever it is called, Funniest thing ever was watching our 12yr get a more 'intelligent rating' than his mother!! How I laughed...:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Interested to find out about this built in wireless that has been previously mentioned though.. I haven't managed to find out anything about it yet. Mind, I am usually struggling to get to the controllers before the wife/ son1 / son2 get them.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Nintendo Wii is the way ahead for 'FAMILY FUN'. I managed to persuade Scaleywife into getting our house one and even she will admit, it rocks.

Both the nippers (12 & 8) absolutely love playing the thing. Have had it for approx 5 weeks or so now and I think it has been on virtually ever night since.

Wii Tennis rocks, apart from when your 8yr old beats the ****e out of you at it!!

Just got Brain Academy or whatever it is called, Funniest thing ever was watching our 12yr get a more 'intelligent rating' than his mother!! How I laughed...:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Interested to find out about this built in wireless that has been previously mentioned though.. I haven't managed to find out anything about it yet. Mind, I am usually struggling to get to the controllers before the wife/ son1 / son2 get them.

It's a piece of to setup, start up your wii, when you get to the channels screen, click on the wii settings(bottom left), go through the options till you get to internet, the connection settings are in there, any probs give me a PM and i'll get you a few screen shots etc.:PDT_Xtremez_30:
P.S. Brain Academy is pretty cool.

Bought the Wii 2 months ago setup on the wi-fi network no probs. Kids love it 2 aged 6 & 9 both beat me on the Tennis especially the 6 year old who does power shots and can't tell me how he did it little sh!t.

Its good to watch the kids boxing because they duck and dive trying to dodge the punches and watch carefully if you get one because they will start moving towards the television.

To get the best out of it you need a big flatscreen TV!

Back