• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Public perception of the RAF

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Well this morning/today on look north the made a big thing of the Nimrod RP1 going to the stan and what footage did they show Nimrod MRA2 and the flight line at ISK(should know spent many years up there).

It's no wonder that the people get the wrong impression. I remember during Op Fiasco the RAF were wearing Hi-vis vests with RAF on it and the reporter said "as you can see behind me the army......". Think the journos ought to get the details correct rather than add to the confusion.

Craig855s

Sergeant
I remember a Daily Mirror article in the late 90s (98?) about a woman pilot in a Tornado F3 squadron at RAF St Andrews who intercepted a Russki. Reading the article she:
Detected the snoopers approaching NATO airspace to the north of the UK;
Started her aircraft, without the aid of ground crew;
Gave herself authority to scramble;
Taxiied to the runway, without directions from ATC;
Gave herself clearance to take off;
Deduced the direction she required, as no navigator was on board;
Flew through controlled airspace, without help from ATC;
Found the interlopers, without help from the UK AD system, including AEW;
Formated with them (steady there!);
Then did the reverse all the way back without any help at any stage.
Not her fault, just the way it was reported, presumably with all the usual accurate information provided by MoD. And we still wonder why the RAF only has pilots and aircraft. Sorry, are we still flying Lightnings?

Funiest thing i've ever heard. the 5% truth part turns that to,
she was the first to the HAS at scramble so she turned the rotary convertor on and she was in the jet before her nav,everything else was as norm no doubt

T93

Sergeant
"Found the interlopers, without help from the UK AD system, including AEW;"

Nothing new there. The jockeys have always believed that ground based AD was of no use.
vis radar....arsches...lot of them.

I

Isis

Just going to throw this into the discussion. At my College at least once a year there is a bunch of colleges/unis that come in and try to get people to go to such places after they finish College. Interestingly, they're also accompanied by the Royal Navy and the Army who are using it as a recruitment opportunity to get people into their services by showing that there are various useful trades you can do in the services and get the various quals that would be useful later on outside the forces.

Oddly, the RAF has not been present at any of these occasions to date. So much for making an effort to be in the public eye! :pDT_Xtremez_35:

I don't know about colleges/uni's but I seem to remember that AFCO's would regularly arrange to visit schools and do talks to the older kids about joining up -sort of an extended assembly - but I believe this was stopped because someone decided encouraging 15/16 yr olds to consider the RAF was a bad idea.

J

Just like watching Brazil

I don't know about colleges/uni's but I seem to remember that AFCO's would regularly arrange to visit schools and do talks to the older kids about joining up -sort of an extended assembly - but I believe this was stopped because someone decided encouraging 15/16 yr olds to consider the RAF was a bad idea.

Without wanting to start Army-bashing, my school wasn't the best and we only ever seemed to see Army and Navy recruiters on careers days

Whether that was selective recruitment by the RAF I don't know, but it obviously didn't stop me

R

Rich_P

I can only think it must be selective recruitment? As a mate of mine down south has had a lot of RAF related things going on and he goes to a public school rather than a state school...

Anyway, how's this for some advertisement?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RGj_fI7Wqzo

I

Isis

Without wanting to start Army-bashing, my school wasn't the best and we only ever seemed to see Army and Navy recruiters on careers days

Whether that was selective recruitment by the RAF I don't know, but it obviously didn't stop me

Just thought, my school had a day when some of the kids got to go and visit the army doing asault courses and things - I didn't get to go it was only the naughty and lower set kids that did - not quite sure what impression was been given with that decision!

ha - brazil we sound like a right pair of old moaners! back in my day...etc, etc

What about the spaceys? - now I volunteer with them so I know some of them are a pain in the backside but surely they should be more encouragement for those kids who are obviously in some way, shape or form interested in aviation/the military to consider RAF career options.

MeerKat

SAC
my two'pennuth

my two'pennuth

Wholeheartedly agree. where there is tradition, comes honour. However, the Army and Navy steep their recruits up to the eyeballs with honour and tradition where as the RAF does not. The RAF of today relies almost on modernism (not always a bad thing) and then in the same breath uses the Battle of Britain as its only jaunt into conflict. The RAF seems very good at forgetting tradition for the sake of modernisation.

TW

I fully agree with the sentiments above: How confusing is it that we are told to be proud of our heritage and history and yet in the same breath it is announced that Bentley Priory and Uxbridge will be sold off as they are both deemed to be surplus to requirements.
So, I should take pride in my Service and it's history and yet the 2 stations from where our greatest (and most publically well-known) battle honour were fought are to be disposed of to make an accountants ledger balance.
I would reach to turn off the rant mode, but I fear that I've become too jaded to bother

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I fully agree with the sentiments above: How confusing is it that we are told to be proud of our heritage and history and yet in the same breath it is announced that Bentley Priory and Uxbridge will be sold off as they are both deemed to be surplus to requirements.
So, I should take pride in my Service and it's history and yet the 2 stations from where our greatest (and most publically well-known) battle honour were fought are to be disposed of to make an accountants ledger balance.
I would reach to turn off the rant mode, but I fear that I've become too jaded to bother

It always stings to lose a unit with as much history attached as, e.g., Bentley Priory or Uxbridge. But is it responsible to spend public money to maintain a site that has no practical purpose except nostalgia?

If it was then we would still have RAF Stations at Biggin Hill, Duxford, North Weald, Kenley, Hornchurch, the list goes on.

The Priory (or at least part of it) is being kept as a Fighter Command museum as is the bunker at Uxbridge. Beyond that it is just a piece of prime real estate in a high-demand area. History is important, but living in the past stops us from moving forward.

H

Halton

Off Topic And hey mate, you were a damned fine desk jockey those many moons ago. One of the best allowances clerks at a long lost unit.

Many regards old boy.

TW
Herein lies the problem.
I am an X brat (37th) Entry 1938, was posted to a great Squadron (82), on passing out from Cosford in 1941.
From there , I was posted to the Middle East for 4 years & served all that time in 53 & 2 RSU's.
Upon return to UK, spent the rest of my Service on MU's & BD.
The point i make is ~~~~~ there are many different types of Unit in the RAF ~~ not just Squadrons of fliers.
I am now 88 years old, live in Australia, but hope to visit UK next year. Hopefully will be able to manage a walk (march) up the hill to 2 Wing, where I started my time in the RAF.

Oberon305

Chairborne
Hi Halton

I'm fully in agreement with you about there being far more to the RAF than flying units, but lets be honest, we're all here to support the ability to get the aircraft in the air. So it's no surprise that the public aren't aware of the the rest of us!

Hope you make it to the UK next year and manage your walk!

Regards

Obe

Perception

Perception

I believe that the reason the Army are doing well and the RAF are given the shrug off is that its down to really weak people at the top. The Army are famous for having strong leaders (often bungling) and we have a couple of nice chaps (gimps) who have no real spine. I thought modern warfare was decided by ruling the skies first so it strikes me Afghanistan is a backward step and a half. I am not disrespecting the Army, they do a great job and I can say that because I have worked alongside them for many years of my career. Anyway, I cant see the chaps standing their ground with the bunglers who shout louder.
Jointry??? Whats that all about, having some 12 year Staff Sergeant telling a 20odd year RAF Sgt how to do his job.. Come on...
Anyway if you want the real perception of the RAF check out the RAF News cos in that rag everyone in the Air Force is an officer, cadet or rockape. (Not dissing rocks either, good luck to them as someone has fought their corner well recently).

And another thing....rant rant.....

You ask "Do the taxpaying public really understand the reason for having a Royal Air Force and do they understand the roles that are undertaken by the latter?"

I think you're entirely missing the point. It's probably not what any of us want to hear but the vast majority of the public really couldn't give a damn. Furthermore, how can the RAF justify spending money on PR when funds are desperately needed elsewhere? I think it's time we removed our heads from our arses.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You ask "Do the taxpaying public really understand the reason for having a Royal Air Force and do they understand the roles that are undertaken by the latter?"

Yes, I did ask the above question. Three and a half years ago.

I think you're entirely missing the point. It's probably not what any of us want to hear but the vast majority of the public really couldn't give a damn. Furthermore, how can the RAF justify spending money on PR when funds are desperately needed elsewhere? I think it's time we removed our heads from our arses.

I think that you are entirely missing the point of a thread that's three and a half years old so predating SDSR and the environment today by a long way.

Oh, and welcome to the Goat!!! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

TW

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Yes, I did ask the above question. Three and a half years ago.

I think that you are entirely missing the point of a thread that's three and a half years old so predating SDSR and the environment today by a long way.

Oh, and welcome to the Goat!!! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

TW

Anyone got any inside info on Princess Diana's critical condition?:pDT_Xtremez_14: