• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stupid Snag Awards

Prudhoe

LAC
Unit Test Pilot – and believe me, when the chap in question was at Odious the product leaving 2nd line was at a considerably higher standard than it is today.

M

Mickwreay

Turns over but will not start!

Turns over but will not start!

Whilst on det with 18Sqn at Honnington in the late 90s, one of the Pumas blew over in high winds OOPS!. A cheeky chappie electrician made the last entry in the 707A "Turns over but will not start" Needless to say the management were not amused. LOL

P

pjvr99

..... Ok so how many of us have change wheels coz the jockey landed with the parking brake on ? ..... never even apologised ! .....

I had the misfortune of changing 12 mainwheels and brake assemblies on a Herk in 1 day .... fighter-jock converting to C130 and riding the brakes

P

pjvr99

Few years ago I had a write-up of 'Mouse in aircraft'. I signed off with 'Cat installed'. Didn't know such a lot of people could have no humour at all :) :) :) :)

OTR4

LAC
Saints a few years ago, major structural mods team, jet arrives from sqn & had to check through 700 for snags etc when come upon this Green line entry on GR7, read;
'Crack in internozzle fairing, inspect every AF' . Found said crack, which had been stop drilled 2 months previous.
Cleared job card - Crack removed, see attached bag.
It was a hair in the paint!

D

da i ddim

whilst working in vas at coltishall had a phone call from the tower that a jag had landed for us.

quickly told them to call the squadron.

707b amf colt- various loose rivet on aircraft.

had a canberra pilot try to land his jet with the parking brake on proceded to bounce the jet down the runway rip out both main legs, one leg went through the tailplane which had just been replaced at a cost of 80 grand. his excuse was the antiskids didn't work, we told him the antiskinds only work when the wheels are turning in the first place.

team 3 amf colt- power transfer test on hyd system couldn't get it to work for 4 days in the end they figured it out, they had both systems ruuning.

isn't it funny when you tell pilots they cant fly their jets when you have just changed a side screen and the prc will take at least 3 days to cure properly, are supprised when they fly a few hours later adamant that it olny takes a few hours to cure the prc is all over the screens.

D

DE Scumbag

a real 707A entry from the mighty 17(F) circa 95

TV TAB does not work in O F F Mode!!!

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
a real 707A entry from the mighty 17(F) circa 95

TV TAB does not work in O F F Mode!!!

Had similar on the Pumas too. More than once the IFF didn't work in OFF.

Crew would also come in complaining that the jammer wasn't working. 9 times out of 10 this was because it wasn't fitted. Especially stupid as the walkround included removing the jammer cover when fitted!

The DFs would occasionally have to go out and fix the landing lamp by switching it from IR to White too.

D

DE Scumbag

Remember to this day when "OC Bulbs" (so called coz he always snagged his lights counting how many opticators were out etc.) came into the soft to report his ECM inop. I was called from the HAS to debrief.

Debriefed him asking him several times if he was sure that the Pod had worked for the first hour? He assured me each time finally getting angry with me for questioning his godliness. When I pointed out that his jet didn't have a pod fitted, he 1st didnt believe me (I had just been at the see-in), 2 stormed off and didnt speak to me for a year.

Oh how I chortle. :D

davie77

LAC
The Old Classic,

IFF does not work in OFF mode

But here's a real one I saw a couple of years ago on an F3 sqn

707A Entry:= Mainwheel tyre almost wore to limits
707A Coordination Entry:= Mainwhell tyre almost replaced.

Last edited:

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
Well over the past few years i have had the pleasure of serching for various item lying around in aircraft but this one took the pi$$ the other day.

'right this cab has been snagged with a hum! go and see if you can find anything that will cause it. check panels soundproofing etc'.

'er when does this happen? just with power on ? just engines running? rotors turning?'

'Rotors running'

so we serch for a hum whilst the cab is in the hangar in a dead state. no wasps/bees nest found, no hum found!!!! who knows what it is but apparently its only in a certain area!

Last edited:

doc670

LAC
Some bits I remember from long ago as a J/T on a toom sqn up north where it were grim, or at least some of the wxxxs were.

720b - Radar u/s, electrons all over the place.
Cure - Electrons formed up in threes and marched off, satis.

720b - Lost the radar transmitter after ten minutes.
Cure - Nose pack search c/o, transmitter found after five minutes. ( didn't get away with it, but got a bollocking about doing things properly even if the flying club upstairs don't )

PD birds etc - We fairies had been having a poor time with a lot of PD snags, then one kite had a birdstrike on the radome over the North Sea, the pilot brought it back, kissed it down and taxied in with the remains of a Great Awk still dangling from the wreckage. Half the hangar turned out to look at it on the line. The Sengo turns to our radar chief and says loudly 'what do you make of that chief ?' Chiefy sucks on his unlit pipe, sighs and replies
' birds in all modes sir '.

Nav radar leader ( ex-fairy cpl, now sqn ldr )walks into the line hut with a radar snag, and hands my Snec a knob off the radar set controller and says ' I pulled it to see if it would come off, sarge and it did ! '

On APC in Malta, one particular pilot had a crew-in snag, changed a/c and had same snag. 720b entry read ' seat-stick interface replaced, satis.' Cue SOH failure by said jockey when he read the 700 next day.

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
2nd-line Gin palace, at Binb**k. We had a shiney, new LAC posted in from C*sf*rd. Gave him an IFF to functionally test. "Right then, here's how we do it ...". He interupted me with "Nah, no need to explain. I did all in training". "Righto, give us a call when you're done".

Time passed. More time passed. The silence was deafening.

Eventually one of the J/T's made a casual enquiry "... how's it going?" "Can't get a 'fing 'aht of it!" "How about turning the power to the bench on". 10/10 for enthusiasm, but I don't think he ever lived that one down. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Had 1 engineering officer who overheard the chat on the line about a loose article , he suggested if we done an inverted flight the loose article would be found

we had to tell him that in a Nimrod such a manouvre is not recomended

Funny thing is he was deadly serious when he suggested it :PDT_Xtremez_31:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
2nd-line Gin palace, at Binb**k. We had a shiney, new LAC posted in from C*sf*rd. Gave him an IFF to functionally test. "Right then, here's how we do it ...". He interupted me with "Nah, no need to explain. I did all in training". "Righto, give us a call when you're done".

Time passed. More time passed. The silence was deafening.

Eventually one of the J/T's made a casual enquiry "... how's it going?" "Can't get a 'fing 'aht of it!" "How about turning the power to the bench on". 10/10 for enthusiasm, but I don't think he ever lived that one down. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

This is a popular one in most Bays. Either one or both the supplies off. . . . . .
:PDT_Xtremez_28:

K

khaine27

Had this one just yesterday from a new eng.

headset passed to me in two pieces, informed that it broke when said eng tried to walk from flight deck with it still attached. actual job on lits raised as "engineer attempted to leave cockpit with headset still attached to head"

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Many moons ago had one from a Wessex pilot who insisted that the main rotor blades were intermittently flying out of track. ... Fcukwit.
I wonder if it was the same chap who snagged one of our Walters when I was on SARTU back in the 80's... snag was that he could feel vibration through the seat. And he was the only pilot who could feel it! Well following days and days of Vibros, bladetracking, control system and ASE functionals, plus replacing a jack or two he still wasn't happy. So we replaced that most complicated pieces of equipment, the seat pan cushion!! Yup, vibration cured! :PDT_Xtremez_25:

T55

Sergeant
A couple of years ago the incumbent UTP (anyone at Odiham at the time will definately remember this muppet!) used to have a favourite snag -

"Potential for dust to accumulate on yaw pedals" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's also snagged chocks - in the F700!- for having perished rubber

Mac

The very same man who was OC 78 in 1991 and was presented with a red painted bone dome with gold lightning on the side and the words " Mad dog" above the visor.

T55

Sergeant
One of the best snags I saw on an equipment label was:

"on selection of reverse thrust r/h upper bucket became detached from aircraft and landed on runway where it was run over by aircraft ***"

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
One of the best snags I saw on an equipment label was:

"on selection of reverse thrust r/h upper bucket became detached from aircraft and landed on runway where it was run over by aircraft ***"

Probably brownstars:PDT_Xtremez_31:

Back