• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stupid Snag Awards

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I have quite a few tales to tell about Canberra's and Lincolns if your interested!

Canberra man

Always....keep them coming....lots of people interested on here....I never worked on either but the canberra's were still at Marham when i was there and i visited 39 sqn a few times to get some Vicon film developed.

Welcome and crack on............:PDT_Xtremez_09:

C

Canberraman

A big fat bomb.

A big fat bomb.

We were in Malaya with the Canberra's and they'd been on a bombing mission. They had all returned and I was marshalling the last one on to the pan. I signalled him to stop and then to open bomb doors, with an armourer standing by in case of hang ups. There were no hang ups, oh no, much worse. A dirty great thousand pounder lurched out of the n bomb doors and crunched into the tarmac and sat there glaring at us. Some made to run and then realised that the bomb had'nt fallen far enough to arm. The pilot looked on in wonderment as groups of us stood there counting our worry beads! Never mind, the bomb was pronounced fit for work and was dropped on the next mission.

Canberra man.

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
The Canberra Compass snags I remember from my days in the Wyton hydraulic bay. After a flight control actuator change the compass system used to throw a wobbly, as Canberraman said the applicable trade could find no fault with their system. It was pointed out to us in the Hyd bay that large lumps of metal like actuators became magnetised during our testing in the bay, this again came from civvie industry. Well being heavies we said 'rubbish' or words to that effect, so the experts came down and proved that the actuators were becoming magnetised and this did not do the compass detector heads any good at all. The solution was to pay for an actuator de-gausing kit and train us up on its use, problem solved.

C

Canberraman

There it was gone!

There it was gone!

The Canberra's had been on a bombing mission in Malaya and were rushing back for a dance at the mess. They were flying in a block of nine and the one in the middle just disappeared. The plane in the rear of the formation radio'd that he just put his nose down and went and told the flight leader he rolled out before he did a complete bunt and added that he was flying like a crab! He landed alright, but we were grounded as were those in the UK. The mods came through pretty quick and entailed setting up the balanced relays in the back of the fuselage to the same ma and soldering up the trimmers. Trouble was there were four electrians and only three man coolers! guess who drew the short straw! I got cracking (it takes a long time soldering with a 12 volt iron!) Just as I'd finished, the engineering officer came up, He was a bit concerned I did'nt have cooler and as we were talking about the problem, he noticed some fluid dripping out of a drain hole and before I could stop him (I knew what it was) He had tasted it. "Its not hydraulic fluid " He said. "No", I agreed, "Its my sweat" He howled his head off.

Canberra man

Picked up two stupid snags while away, pretty hard to keep a straight face and tell a nav that kit does not work in stby mode, bless em :PDT_Xtremez_28:

"RH Vib caption (Engine vibration out of limits sets a warning off in the cockpit) immediately after take off" said the snag. So we dutifully hauled the jet to the tubes and thrashed the engine to within an inch of it's life using the (then) new Vibration Analysis Kit. Download the result and then take it to the engine test bed chaps. Nowt wrong with that says they, so just to be on the safe side we changed the amplifier and a transducer.

Next trip same snag. new amp, both transducers and further analysis runs. No fault found again. DF's check the electric string still unable to fault it.

Next trip you guessed it, same snag. Change the engine.

Next trip. Change the gearbox.

Next trip slave a completely new cable run in, new amp, and another new engine. This took some time and involved a serious row with the Rolls Royce man who swore purple it was not the engine.

In the mean time the fairys did some job on the Radar and rather than mess about with a Hydraulic rig asked if they could sit in the back and do the test. No probs says I and off we pop. As soon as the fairy lit the radar there it was, the mythical RH Vib caption! Turns out that some valve was making the scanner 'shudder' when it was turned on and that was transmitted through the airframe, to be picked up by the engine vibration transducer as an engine vibration of the mainly bad sort.

How we chuckled when we cleared the Rh Engine Vibration snag with GMR antenna replaced!

N

Noodle

Hercs are designed to pre pressurise when throttles are forward bleed air on etc.

Route I was on at the end the GE goes up to my SNEC and tells him that the aircraft starts to squeeze on ground when throttles arwe fully forward etc. He repeated it three times after my SNEC went yeah!

sooty77

LAC
We had a Chinook come back with a snag that the nose wheel stearing did'nt work, there was one or two red faces when it was pointed out to the green suited master race that there is no nose wheel on the aircraft!

M

mactheconny

We had a Chinook come back with a snag that the nose wheel stearing did'nt work, there was one or two red faces when it was pointed out to the green suited master race that there is no nose wheel on the aircraft!

A couple of years ago the incumbent UTP (anyone at Odiham at the time will definately remember this muppet!) used to have a favourite snag -

"Potential for dust to accumulate on yaw pedals" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's also snagged chocks - in the F700!- for having perished rubber

Mac

sooty77

LAC
A couple of years ago the incumbent UTP (anyone at Odiham at the time will definately remember this muppet!) used to have a favourite snag -

"Potential for dust to accumulate on yaw pedals" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's also snagged chocks - in the F700!- for having perished rubber

Mac

Is that the same tube that snagged the broom for not having enough brissles?

M

mactheconny

Is that the same tube that snagged the broom for not having enough brissles?

Certainly is!!!

There are many more he came out with too, can't remember at the minute, but will post them as I do

Mac

sooty77

LAC
Certainly is!!!

There are many more he came out with too, can't remember at the minute, but will post them as I do

Mac

I remember a crewman telling me that he was on a trip back from fleetlands with the UTP and he did'nt have any snags to report so the UTP made him check every tie down ring by turning it 5 time on way and 5 times the other way, after that every time he went up with him he would find a snag no matter how small just to keep that tw*t happy!

D

darth510

A few years back on the mighty herc i was called to a crew in, the eng said he couldn't get the Gyro to erect, usual fairy kit-NFF, so i signed it up as "Aircrew fail to achieve erection" - "Ground crew had no erection problem", my trade manager saw the funny side in the end!!!

D

darth510

I remember a crewman telling me that he was on a trip back from fleetlands with the UTP and he did'nt have any snags to report so the UTP made him check every tie down ring by turning it 5 time on way and 5 times the other way, after that every time he went up with him he would find a snag no matter how small just to keep that tw*t happy!
Used to work in CASF afew years back-had a run in with the UTP a few times-blokes an arse

Boomerang

LAC
1st female fighter pilot on Tornados - JS, snagged the jet for having 'sticky flaps'. The debrief I believe was a bit of a laugh.

Once had a pilot, a former OC 17 who did the IFF inoperative in OFF mode! can't remember if it was the trip we kept him on the ground because he kept asking to start the micro-turbo, his nav eventually told him they aren't fitted on tonkas!

C

Canberraman

Pilots then and now.

Pilots then and now.

I've read some howlers in this thread. The aircrew of today seem out of touch compaired with the pilots of the 50s era. Our pilots were gentlemen, they said please and thank you and if a snag was entered in the F700 (that dates me) and if no fault was found, the next pilot was informed and told to watch for it. If it did occur, the unit was removed and tested and nine times out of ten, we had a fault. I would give anything to go back in time and live it all over again.

Ken
Canberraman

C

Chuffybum

UTP?? Probably sounds really dumb of me but what does UTP stand for?

Back