• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TG1 Retention again

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
18 Months out now guys.....I can't understand why you would still want to be! It really is good in civvy strase!

It depends on where and what you do.

Here in Sheffield at a door manufacturing factory, they have just issued letters to the whole workforce explaining that they intend to make 70% (300ish people) of the workforce redundant by the end of January.

The only growing industry around these parts is glaziers fitting windows in asylum hotels.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
18 Months out now guys.....I can't understand why you would still want to be! It really is good in civvy strase!
Glad its working for you. Its bloody toxic at my place at the moment. I had to tell my team yesterday that they were being disbanded as of 1 Oct and all being moved to other teams. For context, my team was the highest performing (both output per head and morale via the annual people survey), lowest discipline, lowest absenteeism and the one team that volunteered to take on additional roles. Instead of telling other areas to up their game, they have dumbed down to the lowest common denominator to protect weak managers who cant get a tune out of their staff and dont like the idea of justifying their decisions.

30 people were devastated yesterday. Not a single member of our leadership team made an offer to come and support me when I broke the news, nor did any of them contact us afterwards to see how we were feeling.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Glad its working for you. Its bloody toxic at my place at the moment. I had to tell my team yesterday that they were being disbanded as of 1 Oct and all being moved to other teams. For context, my team was the highest performing (both output per head and morale via the annual people survey), lowest discipline, lowest absenteeism and the one team that volunteered to take on additional roles. Instead of telling other areas to up their game, they have dumbed down to the lowest common denominator to protect weak managers who cant get a tune out of their staff and dont like the idea of justifying their decisions.

30 people were devastated yesterday. Not a single member of our leadership team made an offer to come and support me when I broke the news, nor did any of them contact us afterwards to see how we were feeling.

Interesting, you may recall we messaged about some vacancies at your locat in 2022 but a shader deployment stopped me applying. in the end I went a different route and it's working out pretty well thus far!

We're on a massive hiring drive - anyone wanted engineering work get in touch!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It depends on where and what you do.

Here in Sheffield at a door manufacturing factory, they have just issued letters to the whole workforce explaining that they intend to make 70% (300ish people) of the workforce redundant by the end of January.

The only growing industry around these parts is glaziers fitting windows in asylum hotels.

Any decent motivated service leaver shouldn't struggle to find work in this climate.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Any decent motivated service leaver shouldn't struggle to find work in this climate.

I attended a reunion of sorts last week with many of us being reunited for the first time in over twenty years.

Considering the service environment we were once lumped together in, it was quite pleasing to hear the success stories of people's post RAF careers and even more so, the diversity of second careers that people have achieved.

We put it down to one thing.

In most cases, the service leaver can be ar$ed to get out of bed in the morning and actually do things with their lives.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
There are loads of jobs out there. You have to get on your bike to do them mind. Since leaving the RAF 16 years ago, I must have spent half that time working away from home commuting and living away.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Interesting, you may recall we messaged about some vacancies at your locat in 2022 but a shader deployment stopped me applying. in the end I went a different route and it's working out pretty well thus far!

We're on a massive hiring drive - anyone wanted engineering work get in touch!
There are a load of vacancies on CS jobs today - I wont be recommending anyone applies.

gray

Sergeant
I left CS 18 months ago - got fed up of the constant meetings about meetigs and high workload that our team of 2 (supposed to be 6) were expected to do, for the money. Desk bound and fighting off emails, instead of actually 'doing' work.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I left CS 18 months ago - got fed up of the constant meetings about meetigs and high workload that our team of 2 (supposed to be 6) were expected to do, for the money. Desk bound and fighting off emails, instead of actually 'doing' work.
Indeed. There are numerous times when we've come to the end of a discussion, and I've asked "so, what was the action from that and who is taking it forward", only to see tumbleweed blow through. Ive stopped going to most meetings and dont even send a deputy. I just ask for the actions to be messaged to me - I rarely get any messages.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
First rule of emails, they’re just emails, if they’re important to you or your boss then action them, if not the sender will chase up the ones that need an action, and if you think you can rely on ‘I sent an email’ as justification for doing something, you might want to try ‘My dog ate it’ next time.

If your job requires you to spend all day responding to emails, and you don’t like it, change job.

I attend quite a few meetings that start to drift or go down unimportant rabbit holes, two quick questions can sort things out, what is the purpose of this meeting and what is the expected output, it is one of the things the military gets right with its agendas and worthwhile minutes.

ERT

Corporal
The FRI is dead, they just wont announce it and will blame it on the treasury.

The truth is that we've all just had a 6% uplift in pay, then the government have called for in-house spending reduction. The FRI was to come internally from the RAF budget, and that likely is now gone...

Long live the FRI...

Back