• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TG1 Retention again

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Sounds like TG4 is going the same way. Rumours of a 'mega board', for AS1(T) to Cpl. If you've got a yes, you're getting promoted.

Even my trade, FS-WO. Historically low numbers (small trade!) were 1 or 2, think we're up to 9 so far this board.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Usual stuff - people have realised there is more to life than climbing the promotion ladder and value family time more.

Stability - as we know posting usually comes with a move.

Pay - my last promotion come with a £50 pay increase and a bucket ton of more work.

Can't the individuals who don't want promotion remove themselves from the boards by a tick in a "No Promotion" box on their SJAR?

It might mean that those at the 150 point might be at the 100 point.

Reading between the lines some people will only want promoting on their terms and not for the good of the RAF. A mate of mine at Leeming turned down his third and a move to Leuchars, they posted him as a Corporal and then promoted him in situ one month later.

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
Turned a promotion down twice, 1st the offered job sucked and 2nd the location sucked.

3rd time around, both the job and location suited. The RAF got a motivated, experienced and qualified worker - win win!

Promotion is no longer the carrot is used to be.

There's a no promotion box? I know that is being discussed, but didn't know it was in yet.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
I've turned it down twice, 1st time location and job, 2nd time location and job, I've made sure it wont happen again! not made the board in 7 years. Allegedly there is an FRI update tomorrow.

unruly1986

Sergeant
Sounds like TG4 is going the same way. Rumours of a 'mega board', for AS1(T) to Cpl. If you've got a yes, you're getting promoted.

Even my trade, FS-WO. Historically low numbers (small trade!) were 1 or 2, think we're up to 9 so far this board.
Yes TG4 AS1 super board was mentioned at the recent conference.

48 Sgt-FS off the last TG4 board with a couple of months yet to push until the next PSB sits. I haven’t seen the numbers this high before.

People are hitting EDP and going. They need to sort out pay. I could double my salary in civ street but I’m trapped for EDP.

ERT

Corporal
Tough one, retention may keep people in the service, but then slow promotion down. I think for the past few years there has been an expection that 3-5 years in rank is enough to move up. Bring back longer periods, this will force people post the IP / EDP point to jump....

Bit of a retention nightmare, hopefully tomorrow for you all.

Gilbert

LAC
So it seems there was a meeting of sorts, some things got discussed which were along of the lines of:

• Yes there's an FRI and it should be higher than the last one
  • Eligible to all TG1 Cpls to WO
  • 3 Years RTS
  • Split into 2 payments
  • Potential techie pay model in 2025
No figures announced this side of christmas, it's now sat with the CAS, MOD and Treasury to fight it out.

Forestfan

SAC
So it seems there was a meeting of sorts, some things got discussed which were along of the lines of:

• Yes there's an FRI and it should be higher than the last one
  • Eligible to all TG1 Cpls to WO
  • 3 Years RTS
  • Split into 2 payments
  • Potential techie pay model in 2025
No figures announced this side of christmas, it's now sat with the CAS, MOD and Treasury to fight it out.
Gilbert, mostly correct - the REQUEST for FRI is now with Def Sec , then Treasury, then AFPRB. Everyone under Def Sec has done their bit and supported it. Announcement hopefully by end Jan.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
**** me, it's gone to Grant Shapps.

Good luck with that, lads.

4yrs we've been waiting for an offer, never mind an actual deal.

Gilbert

LAC
£25k was being rumoured but then a letter came out saying that it is than any other engineering retention out there. There’s a TG4 one for £35k for 3 years so it must be more than that then.

I've heard £25k and £30k rumoured too.

Given the specific wording of the letter saying "Engineering Retention" (The Engineering Profession) and TG4 being called the Compu-Global-Hyper-Mega-Net-Cyber-Space profession this week. It may not be referring to that one, but it would be nice.

I've heard £25k and £30k rumoured too.

Given the specific wording of the letter saying "Engineering Retention" (The Engineering Profession) and TG4 being called the Compu-Global-Hyper-Mega-Net-Cyber-Space profession this week. It may not be referring to that one, but it would be nice.
Wel it says greater than any technical FRI but I agree it depends if they can say TG4 aren’t technical.

ERT

Corporal
This potential FRI is only half of the solution, recent promotion boards have been exhausted, that hollow 'Yes' with a poor performance and potential likely scored a 1.00, however because they are a Yes, they are in.

The fallout of this retention issue will promote some people too early, putting extra stress on those around them... resulting in pers performing the role of "one-down" plus there own.

Last edited: