• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windows XP to be retired in 2008

• Thread starter Thread starter mad_mo
  • Start date Start date
M

monobrow

Yup, I'll be sticking with XP until Vista actually becomes worthwhile upgrading to.

Sorry but all the Digital Rights Management puts me right off! Not to mention the graphics hungry styles of 3d windows. Pointless!!

Not worth shelling out money for in my opinion. Will probably end up with it when I get a new computer. But I tend to build/upgrade mine, so will be a while!!!

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Yup, I'll be sticking with XP until Vista actually becomes worthwhile upgrading to.

Sorry but all the Digital Rights Management puts me right off! Not to mention the graphics hungry styles of 3d windows. Pointless!!

Not worth shelling out money for in my opinion. Will probably end up with it when I get a new computer. But I tend to build/upgrade mine, so will be a while!!!

Exactly what I said but a bit less eloquent. lol

SCJ

MingMong

Warrant Officer
It's not exactly a huge issue, the report just said it will not be available on new PC's.
I'm guessing that most new PCs sold now are packaged with Vista anyway (I know that if I was buying a new machine then I would want the latest operating system).

Almost all game/software manufacturers will probably still support XP for fear of alienating themselves from potential customers, so I don't see a problem.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
The report i read on Enquirer.net said it will no longer be available for OEM use by the end of the year, presumably it will still be available in the standard version.

Having installed vista(on someone elses PC) and seen it running i'd stick to XP for a fair while well for the wifes PC, mine are MS Free.

Last edited:
A

Albert Park

MS will continue to support XP for some time after 2008 - hotfixes, patches etc.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts

Me too Mono, My music collection is mine and none of Microcrap or Sapple's business. I'll get Vista when I have to, until then "XP is ma baby yeah"

E

Edzar

I suppose it all depends how good this 'new' software called Vista is and how many glitches they are going to have to fix to get it almost right.
XP for me is about the most stable microsoft op system I have used, it's not got many problems and seem reasonably secure.
I won't be changing mine for a while but what I do wonder is this...

at ISL we have had it rumoured that XP was going to replace Windows 2000 at work, but waiting to sort licences etc. Not too sure of all the details, but it's always had me wondering why we aren't using it already, especially as the spams have been using XP on their networks for a while !!
And if the RAF aren't even going to manage to get licences for XP usage, I dont reckon that they'll go straight onto Vista...any other thoughts?

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant

The funniest thing about the vista 3d desktop is that it was done by the linux people well before microsoft, i have a live bootable cd of knoppix with all the 3d desktop for linux and it blows the XP aero gui out of the water.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
The funniest thing about the vista 3d desktop is that it was done by the linux people well before microsoft, i have a live bootable cd of knoppix with all the 3d desktop for linux and it blows the XP aero gui out of the water.

I think I have the same disk, I tried to use it as a rescue disk a few weeks ago and couldn't, don't understand enough abot linux :PDT_Xtremez_42:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
I think I have the same disk, I tried to use it as a rescue disk a few weeks ago and couldn't, don't understand enough abot linux :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Off Topic
Let us know if you need advice on using it as a resue disc, had many a time using it to save XP owners stuff

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
I need advice on using it as a rescue disk coss it wouldn't let me write to my second partition ::/:
Off Topic
open a terminal and type sudo su which puts you into root mode(god mode) to mount a partition in Read/Write mode type mount -rw /dev/hd[xxx] where the primary drive is hda with partiions 1to3/4-5to9
Off Topic

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Off Topic
open a terminal and type sudo su which puts you into root mode(god mode) to mount a partition in Read/Write mode type mount -rw /dev/hd[xxx] where the primary drive is hda with partiions 1to3/4-5to9
Off Topic

Great and once more in English ? :PDT_Xtremez_21: :PDT_Xtremez_35:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Great and once more in English ? :PDT_Xtremez_21: :PDT_Xtremez_35:

sorry i have a habit of doing that,
sudo su logs you into the admin account in the live CDs. mount effectively accesses the partion for read/write.
-rw is read write mode.
/dev/hda is the first hardrive(master) on the first channel(primary hardrive connector)
/dev/hdb is the second hardrive(slave) on the first channel. (primary hardrive connector)
/dev/hdc is the first hardrive(master) on the second channel(secondary hardrive connector)
/dev/hdd is the second hardrive(slave) on the second channel.(secondary hardrive connector)

The number after the hardrive is the partition number, there can be up to 9 partions ona disc, partion 4 is not a drive but space for storing partions so you can use numbers 1-4 or 1-3 and 5-9

okay so assuming the second partion is on the same drive as windows try using
mount -rw /dev/hda2

Last edited:
T

The Masked Geek

Vista may be a bit buggy but, having recently plugged in an 8800GTX and thrown a copy of crysis on there, it's proper good.

No looking back for me now, even dropped the XP/Vista dual boot setup.

The aero desktop looks ok but as for the 3D bit, it's a bit of a disappointment.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
sorry i have a habit of doing that,
sudo su logs you into the admin account in the live CDs. mount effectively accesses the partion for read/write.
-rw is read write mode.
/dev/hda is the first hardrive(master) on the first channel(primary hardrive connector)
/dev/hdb is the second hardrive(slave) on the first channel. (primary hardrive connector)
/dev/hdc is the first hardrive(master) on the second channel(secondary hardrive connector)
/dev/hdd is the second hardrive(slave) on the second channel.(secondary hardrive connector)

The number after the hardrive is the partition number, there can be up to 9 partions ona disc, partion 4 is not a drive but space for storing partions so you can use numbers 1-4 or 1-3 and 5-9

okay so assuming the second partion is on the same drive as windows try using
mount -rw /dev/hda2

Perfect dude. That's exactly what I needed, I'll try it later and let you laugh at how I get along :PDT_Xtremez_14:
So that means mount read/write device hard drive a partition 2 my D: drive ?
I really have to learn a bit more about linux !
Oh, is that case sensitive ?

Last edited:

Major Geek

Sergeant
at ISL we have had it rumoured that XP was going to replace Windows 2000 at work, but waiting to sort licences etc. Not too sure of all the details, but it's always had me wondering why we aren't using it already, especially as the spams have been using XP on their networks for a while !!
And if the RAF aren't even going to manage to get licences for XP usage, I dont reckon that they'll go straight onto Vista...any other thoughts?

The licenses aren't the problem its just that it takes the air farce so long to accredit new OS's that they are out of date before they are permitted onto our networks.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Perfect dude. That's exactly what I needed, I'll try it later and let you laugh at how I get along :PDT_Xtremez_14:
So that means mount read/write device hard drive a partition 2 my D: drive ?
I really have to learn a bit more about linux !
Oh, is that case sensitive ?

yes it's all case sensitive,

Back