• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windows XP to be retired in 2008

• Thread starter Thread starter mad_mo
  • Start date Start date

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The licenses aren't the problem its just that it takes the air farce so long to accredit new OS's that they are out of date before they are permitted onto our networks.

We had to purchase XP pro licenses in order to use win 2K pro on our standalone network as you cant buy win2K anymore.

P

POB

I was actually quite happy with my XP until about 2 days ago when I received the automatic updates...My laptop now takes about 45 seconds per page (Broadband internet connection!), and is almost unusable. Makes my blood boil. Is there anything I can do?

M

monobrow

try using a programme called ccleaner.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

cleans up registry problems (that slows pooters) as well as getting rid of useless crap that isn't needed.

And best of all, it's free!!

P

POB

Thanks for the suggestion Mono, I have tried that now and it has made absolutely no difference.

Going to email MS as it was one of their downloads that seemed to have slowed everything down...It is really intollerable now...Just took over 4 minutes to open The Goat!

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Mono, I have tried that now and it has made absolutely no difference.

Going to email MS as it was one of their downloads that seemed to have slowed everything down...It is really intollerable now...Just took over 4 minutes to open The Goat!

Check if your phishing filter is enabled on IE7, that slows browsing considerably.

(TOOLS/Phishing Filter)

P

POB

Well I tried that too, thanks for the suggestion metimmee, and still no joy. Popped to a mate down the corridor, and he suggested uninstallinng IE7.

Done this using mono's "ccleaner" download and I am back to a normal speed. Now that I seem to have thet sorted, I am going out for a traditional Sat evening/swing shift beer or 17.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Well I tried that too, thanks for the suggestion metimmee, and still no joy. Popped to a mate down the corridor, and he suggested uninstallinng IE7.

Done this using mono's "ccleaner" download and I am back to a normal speed. Now that I seem to have thet sorted, I am going out for a traditional Sat evening/swing shift beer or 17.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Another suggestion would be to use Firefox, it's been rated higer than IE7 on all it's features.

M

monobrow

Another suggestion would be to use Firefox, it's been rated higer than IE7 on all it's features.

I'll second that one! Link -> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Also Thunderbird is a good program for e-mail. And if you have accounts, mail and settings on either IE or Outlook, it copies them across as part of the install. So theres no "Crap, I've got to set these up now".

Last edited:

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Sod Bill Gates and all his duff Operating Systems.

Once my PC at home gives up the ghost, It's a Mac for me next time.

M

mad_mo

Sod Bill Gates and all his duff Operating Systems.

Once my PC at home gives up the ghost, It's a Mac for me next time.

A new Apple store has opened up near me, Ive been browsing through the store a couple of times and im very tempted to buy a Mac.

Last edited:
T

top_man

I refuse to pay for Vista. Any advice on the best system to replace XP, if I have to, i.e. linux ???

G

grumpyoldb

I refuse to pay for Vista. Any advice on the best system to replace XP, if I have to, i.e. linux ???

You won't have to replace XP, they just mean that there won't be any upgrades or support for it. They're just trying to panic you into buying Vista 'cos it ain't selling very well.

Just make sure that you have "System Restore" enabled, and you'll be fine.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
My new computer came with vista, it takes some getting used to ! Not just the DRM, the user control freezing the machine everytime you start a programme and asking if you were aware this programme is trying to run. :PDT_Xtremez_25:

I'm starting to get used to it a bit now though. :PDT_Xtremez_14:

MS want you to buy Vista, Sky want you to stay with XP...... :PDT_Xtremez_03:
Sky anytime doesn't work "out of the box" with Vista and thay don't plan to support it anytime soon. :PDT_Xtremez_25:

P

prop135

open suse is the way ahead fella's. Its free, not to difficult to configure, stonking graphics, oh and once again free

Its also the most GUI friendly versions of Linux. All the favorite hacki.... i mean security testing tools run on it, its not great for gaming though so if you want to game i reccomend buyiing a console lol:PDT_Xtremez_28:

P

prop135

Oh you can turn off the DRM and put vista into classic mode thus making it a lot nicer to use.

G

georgeios

In coming, i have vista and its fine, prity much the same as XP if its just Internet, Music, Office, i find it easy to use and navagate, i had XP home before and all my mate were banging on about XP Pro.. the question i had was Why when Home works for my needs and Vista is exactly the same, the only thing i found i had to get used to was the file locations but if you use Explore then you will find it easy.... id say dont beleve the hipe and the worrying reports give it a bash, i will say if you do get it get 2Gb of Ram as i got 1 at first and it was using 66% of ram just on desktop, apart from that give it a crack......

Open for Riddacule.....:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Back