• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windows XP to be retired in 2008

• Thread starter Thread starter mad_mo
  • Start date Start date

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
the only thing i found i had to get used to was the file locations but if you use Explore then you will find it easy

I'm an administrator on my home machine yet I am locked out of certain folders. Now WTF is THAT about. I can't even get into my temporary internet folder. :PDT_Xtremez_25:

Vista Home Premium !

P

prop135

I'm an administrator on my home machine yet I am locked out of certain folders. Now WTF is THAT about. I can't even get into my temporary internet folder. :PDT_Xtremez_25:

Vista Home Premium !

NTFS File Permissions!

As an admin you can access any file by taking ownership. RIght click the file, go to properties (scuse me if I am slightly out on the commands, at a 2K box at the mo) security, add, add yourself (or advanced, owner (set yourself) )

THis gives you access to the specific files

G

georgeios

Vista Home Premium !

I have VHP too, but like i said i dont mess around with mine, i just do what i need to and rely on MS having done the Geeky stuff lol, It does what i bought if for and its not broken so i ant trying to fix it.. :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
NTFS File Permissions!

As an admin you can access any file by taking ownership. RIght click the file, go to properties (scuse me if I am slightly out on the commands, at a 2K box at the mo) security, add, add yourself (or advanced, owner (set yourself) )

THis gives you access to the specific files

Not on Vista it doesn't. No more nicking and renaming MP3 files from your temporary internet folder.... unless of course they have bloody moved it !! :PDT_Xtremez_42:

P

prop135

A quick chat with my mate google got me this

OK lets see...
Well first off that previous windows installation u had secretly put a little note on those files saying who put the file there and who it belongs too...locking out other users from other installations.
Steps
1. Go to "CompuOK lets see...
Well first off that previous windows installation u had secretly put a little note on those files saying who put the file there and who it belongs too...locking out other users from other installations.
Steps
1. Go to "Computer"--->Tools(at the top)-->Folder options-->View Tab--> In the scroll box there...scroll all the way down to Use simple filesharing(make sure its unchecked)uncheck it if it is.
2. Now (in Explorer) Right click the folder containing all of what you want to access. Click on security. At this point it may take some playing around. Click on the User group called Users(should be toward the bottom) and give themm all rights(could alsoTry adding the User called Everyone and giving themm all rights). Furthermore go to the advanced button and click on the user (USers or Everyone) and check both boxes at the bottom. This process is kind of finky. If it doesnt work on the folder try a single file and do the same steps...(Inheriting permisions doesnt always work for all files within the folder). Leave another message if this doesnt work.
ter"--->Tools(at the top)-->Folder options-->View Tab--> In the scroll box there...scroll all the way down to Use simple filesharing(make sure its unchecked)uncheck it if it is.
2. Now (in Explorer) Right click the folder containing all of what you want to access. Click on security. At this point it may take some playing around. Click on the User group called Users(should be toward the bottom) and give themm all rights(could alsoTry adding the User called Everyone and giving themm all rights). Furthermore go to the advanced button and click on the user (USers or Everyone) and check both boxes at the bottom. This process is kind of finky. If it doesnt work on the folder try a single file and do the same steps...(Inheriting permisions doesnt always work for all files within the folder).

F

FairyGoodGuy

Haven't tried Vista yet but I actually prefer XP to all other versions of the OS. I shall keep mine going till my puter gives up the ghost or forced to do so due to games etc.........

M

monobrow

I doubt games will move it on that much. Just look at games like half life 2. Was released for DirectX 9 hardware cards with shiney water effects and all sorts of stuff. However you could lower it to play at DirectX 7 which was released in 99.

Microsoft will probably port DirectX 10 (the vista one) to XP anyways after a while. Then there should be no actual conflict between XP and vista as to playing games

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Haven't tried Vista yet but I actually prefer XP to all other versions of the OS. I shall keep mine going till my puter gives up the ghost or forced to do so due to games etc.........

Deja vu, I remember saying that about Windows 95, I stuck with DOS 6.22 untill I had to use Win95 for gaming

G

grumpyoldb

XP is certainly more stable with microsoft games. I beta test on a couple of them, and while I have not used vista, reading the reports on the beta testers forum, a lot more gaming problems are surfacing with vista than XP.

This could be down to the testers not yet knowing vista as well as some know XP.
I'll stick with XP for the forseeable future. There's no major advantage yet in changing, unless you are in the market for a new PC with vista already installed.

Last edited:
News from redmond!!

In a recent news report from VNU (a multinational computer publishing agency) Dell have announced they will not be dropping XP at the time Microsoft propose to close it down for fresh sales. Dell are saying that a large number of it's corporate customers are not wanting Vista therfor they will continue to ship XP.

Obviously Microsoft not wanting to lose share or hinder one of their biggest (I(if not the biggest) corporate purchasers, have been forced to extend the cut off date for XP sales especially OEM packs, a new cut of date has not been published but is now expected to be toward Q3 of 2008.

Microsoft have stated that the sales of Vista are exceeding the sales of XP over the same period, BUT, the Vista figure includes pre-installed on machines where-as the XP figure was purely the number of in-box operating systems shipped and sold. Additionally the PC market (especially home laptop) has increased massively since XP was released and this is adding to the figures for Vista. There is no like for like figures being issued but the wise money is saying Vista sales are under target and worse than expected by the Redmond camp.

As a word of warning Microsoft is also starting to buy up some of the LINUX distro's. While they can not ever expect to own them all if they can infiltrate enough code which they hold patent on into enough distro's they can confuse the Linux market as patented code will not be able to be put into non Microsoft distro's giving them an unfair edge (wouldn't be the first time). Recently Microsoft has done deals with Suse, Novell and others incorporating shared patented code deals - see last fridays Micro Mart for more on this.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
As a word of warning Microsoft is also starting to buy up some of the LINUX distro's. While they can not ever expect to own them all if they can infiltrate enough code which they hold patent on into enough distro's they can confuse the Linux market as patented code will not be able to be put into non Microsoft distro's giving them an unfair edge (wouldn't be the first time). Recently Microsoft has done deals with Suse, Novell and others incorporating shared patented code deals - see last fridays Micro Mart for more on this.

Off Topic
It's more of a join us and we won't sue you for the code we apparently hold the patents on but won't tell you what code is infringing so you can't change it. Another classic MS FUD(Fear Uncertainty Doubt) campaign
Off Topic

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Off Topic
It's more of a join us and we won't sue you for the code we apparently hold the patents on but won't tell you what code is infringing so you can't change it. Another classic MS FUD(Fear Uncertainty Doubt) campaign
Off Topic

Are you still sitting in the basement with that tin foil hat on CM ? :PDT_Xtremez_31:

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Are you still sitting in the basement with that tin foil hat on CM ? :PDT_Xtremez_31:

Now now SB just because your paranoid it doesn't mean they are not out to get you.:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Having installed vista on a.n.others PC and played with it for a while i'd recommend people sticking to XP for now at least.

P

prop135

The licenses aren't the problem its just that it takes the air farce so long to accredit new OS's that they are out of date before they are permitted onto our networks.

I agree, but it's not the RAF who carry out accreditation but the guys and girls at CESG. However there was a DIN released in 2005 that stated xp and 2003 were the way ahead using M$ clampdown templates as approved by NSA.

Problem is who has the money to buy said licences after the army spent all the IT money on themselves?

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
I was given a neat little registry add on for XP that adds a "copy to" and "Move to" options in the context menu. Vista doesn't have these options as standard and the XP one doesn't work with Vista. Anybody have any ideas how to get these features working ?

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
I agree, but it's not the RAF who carry out accreditation but the guys and girls at CESG. However there was a DIN released in 2005 that stated xp and 2003 were the way ahead using M$ clampdown templates as approved by NSA.

Problem is who has the money to buy said licences after the army spent all the IT money on themselves?
Off Topic
No offence to the guys/girls that do the accreditation but something along the lines of RedHat Enterprise Workstation with SELinux(NSA Developed) goes far beyond any lockdown templates that you can use in MS software although XP probably will make RAF wide use soon. Linux damn site easier to deploy and remote administer(have done graphical remote admin for people 100s of miles away using SSH so it's damn secure).
Off Topic

Last edited:
Back