• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your best TECHIE moment.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What snag, deed or tale of derring do do you deem to be your best TECHIE moment.

Mine was putting out a Harrier APU fire. In Canada.

(amongst other stories.)

So, come on then, what about your stories.

TW

I have averted a few engine outs on harrier, by retrieving tools and fod type stuff with my double jointed flexi hands :PDT_Xtremez_30:

always enjoy doing scramble see offs too! good techie buzz! :PDT_Xtremez_28:

fileeth

Corporal
Carrying out a fat albert prop change off two ladders in just over three hours at mombassa airport during the somalia famine relief so they could get the last relief flight in before darkness fell at the relief camp sight.:PDT_Xtremez_30:
The down side was that the crew had been stood down because they had no faith in us being able to do it :PDT_Xtremez_21: - oh well you can but try!!

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I once had an extremely vicious ty-wrap to deal with....it had been cut at an improper 60 degree angle making it sharp and it had been covered in OM15. After getting the riggers to sort out the OM15 I nailed it big time. And I didn't even wear gloves
:PDT_Xtremez_30:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
My best techie moment was watching wgaf fall asleep drunk........................again.

P

pie sandwich

My best techie moment was watching wgaf fall asleep drunk........................again.

We have all been there and seen that!!

It is impressive to see a man standing up holding a pint without spilling a drop and be fast asleep.

G

gemarriott

canopy jett carts on the bucc, good feeling when the front bottom one was done.

canopy inits on the tomb weren't much fun either so that was pretty satisfying to finish.

Nothing beat working on the gun on the tomb though, marvelous engineering.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I once had an extremely vicious ty-wrap to deal with....it had been cut at an improper 60 degree angle making it sharp and it had been covered in OM15. After getting the riggers to sort out the OM15 I nailed it big time. And I didn't even wear gloves
:PDT_Xtremez_30:

CLASSICK. Absolute techie god like.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Suppose Tashy Mans will be checking dessicant then?

I have no idea what you are implying young man ! Every good techie knows that dessicant checks are an important job and never to be mearly a "paperwork exercise"...good old B6 (which is now a new fangled OOP0011 (I think))

Crack on............:PDT_Xtremez_09:

M

monobrow

Nothing better than coming in one morning to find swing shift have snagged the foot motors for being low on the GR4.
Crate out, top up, crate in in rapid time for the jet to make the wave.

There is something kind of special though as you work balls out on a jet to get it ready for flying, only to see it off a few short moments after!

Other than that. For a smally, knowing where to look in the books to actually make an informed descision rather than blindly following a certain Cpl I worked with. Managed to cure a snag that had been coming back and coming back over a period of 2 months all by looking at the right info. Insty66 should remember that one well (as I handed him the print and said "THAT is why we'll be changing this bit of kit")

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Swing shift?

The other lads on swing shift were sh1t.

The swing shift to$$ers were the ones who couldn't drink a pint of vomit without throwing up.

Bleeeeuuurgghh.

I lap it it up you lightweight Tonka blokes.

Harrier boys Rule.

TW

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
As I am only an RAF aircraft engineering technician (with an HNC in Aero Eng, LCGI and in the process of gaining IEng status) and have only 21 years of military aircraft experience I couldn't possibly comment as I have obviously forgotten everything I have ever learned.

Until I get my uneducated finger out of my ar$e and become a proper licensed engineer I am afraid I cannot possibly comment on any techie moments as I have never manage to send serviceable aircraft into the skies, be they either passenger or death bombers because I do not hold any aircraft licenses.

Oh well....................................................

P

pie sandwich

At least you managed to get the brews in for the front ender's and heat up some pies in the galley

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Swing shift?

The other lads on swing shift were sh1t.

The swing shift to$$ers were the ones who couldn't drink a pint of vomit without throwing up.

Bleeeeuuurgghh.

I lap it it up you lightweight Tonka blokes.

Harrier boys Rule.

TW

I'm sorry but tonka blokes are not best chums with the navy like harrier homs.

back on topic apart from the tywraps and hi torque bits. My best bit was launching raids and getting the jet back in one peice.

Back