• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

12th of June coming soon

I'm sorry, but how are there still techies who are not X-500?????

I'm no expert, but if you are not X-500 I would be refining my CV if I were you!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm sorry, but how are there still techies who are not X-500?????

There was/is an unforseen blackhole, a place where getting your X-500 signed up is v difficult. The dark world of instructing. It goes something like this. Your a rigger you teach baby riggers riggering, then multi skilling happens and you teach a few sooties riggering, then your chance comes along and a sooty teaches you some sooty stuff. After that it's back to the day job of teaching baby riggers how to rigger. You never do any sooty tasks and so never get X-500. Works the other way too with sooties. There are probably less than 10 people this affects but trying to get those few signed up has exercised many layers of managment so far.

Last edited:

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
I've never worked 1st or 2nd line, so what chance did I get!

So there were no sqn's anywhere near you?

I know plenty of folk who work out of trade who did a week away from work to a totally different camp just to get their tick in the box. Unless of course your boss turned round and said no time away from your primary duty for you. Then I have every sympathy and would recommend a service complaint.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
There was/is an unforseen blackhole, a place where getting your X-500 signed up is v difficult. The dark world of instructing. It goes something like this. Your a rigger you teach baby riggers riggering, then multi skilling happens and you teach a few sooties riggering, then your chance comes along and a sooty teaches you some sooty stuff. After that it's back to the day job of teaching baby riggers how to rigger. You never do any sooty tasks and so never get X-500. Works the other way too with sooties. There are probably less than 10 people this affects but trying to get those few signed up has exercised many layers of managment so far.

Only 10? I think its a lot more than 10 servicewide TB.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve

I know plenty of folk who work out of trade who did a week away from work to a totally different camp just to get their tick in the box. Unless of course your boss turned round and said no time away from your primary duty for you. Then I have every sympathy and would recommend a service complaint.

There was an active push to get us on the Multi-skilling course where we were told about the X500 but it was something we'd do if we ever when back to working 1st or 2nd line. There are quite a few of us non-X500 qualified people about.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts

There was an active push to get us on the Multi-skilling course where we were told about the X500 but it was something we'd do if we ever when back to working 1st or 2nd line. There are quite a few of us non-X500 qualified people about.

A 'proposed policy letter' detailing the plan to stop promotion for those without X-500 was sent out last year. One of the annexes detailed the breakdown of Non X-500 personnel by station... IIRC there were around 700 people across the four original aircraft trades across the RAF as a whole.

In response to PTR... I was told that we couldn't start the Implementation Package until we'd attended the multi-skilling course. Some of us were extremely unlucky in that we couldn't get a place on the theory course because we were deemed to be low priority.

For example... when the Multi-skilling courses were being run, who would you have given the priority to? Somebody off a Harrier squadron... or somebody working in a Jaguar AMF? So, when working in said Jaguar AMF, I asked for a course and was told 'No, you're not a priority, you'll get it on your next posting'. My next posting was to a Tornado F3 AMF... guess what the response was when I asked for a course?! :PDT_Xtremez_25:

When I finally escaped from said Tornado AMF I was posted into a training environment... by which time, the courses were being given to all and sundry as they wanted to stop running the courses. Unfortunately, there was (until last week!) no way to satisfy the IP here at Cosford... and yes, I could have looked in more detail at whether I could have been 'detached' somewhere to get my package completed, but as I can barely fit my leave in every year... guess what took priority!:PDT_Xtremez_28:

HTB

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
The guy I'm hoping gets out was just too lazy, I know another stuck in Eng Records. He's had a few chances at his IP package but there are some jobs on there that come along once in a blue moon, Herc APU change for example, I've not done one in my 3 years on the aircraft and only seen 2 in the diary

Lets be honest here if you really really wanted to do it you would have, personally i couldnt see the point of doing it for no extra pay and to be honest i wouldnt have bothered unless i needed it for the job i really wanted to do so kinda had to do it. Wish i hadnt now cos the lucky buggers will get a nice redundancy package grrrrrr but the point is if you wanted to you would have, but probably the benifits for most of us were.............. more work no extra pay why bother

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
It was suggested that everyone at ISK who had done the multi-skilling course but not working on aircraft would get to do a spell in AMF and get signed up for X500. When the question was asked 'who will be doing my job while off doing aircraft work' things sort of fell apart..... It was a good thought but it didn't get much further and there were six of us in my little section in the same boat. One of them moved to an insructor job at Cosford so i doubt he's managed to do it yet and at least 2 of us got redundancy in the last round and 1 or 2 of the others are out now being time-ex. It was the usual RAF changes things and didn't fully think it through about how to capture everyone who are in off aircraft jobs.... then change things later to penalise them!

Personally i'd have loved to have got it all sorted but i never had the chance from doing the course in late 2007 to when i left on the last round of redundancy.

If the RAF put you in a job that means you can't complete the X500 then say if you haven't got it there's no promotion, no signing on and you could get kicked out they must be opening them selves up for a constructive dismissal case!

T

The Masked Geek

If the RAF put you in a job that means you can't complete the X500 then say if you haven't got it there's no promotion, no signing on and you could get kicked out they must be opening them selves up for a constructive dismissal case!

I'd say the RAF are doing you a favour; afterall, all of you in the self licking lollypop that is TG1 can easily walk out into highly paid jobs. :PDT_Xtremez_14:

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'd say the RAF are doing you a favour; afterall, all of you in the self licking lollypop that is TG1 can easily walk out into highly paid jobs. :PDT_Xtremez_14:

But not all of us are motivated by money alone...

And this is a thread about redundancy and things that affect it... it's not a trade bashing thread! (you f'ckin' poor excuse for a PC World Salesman!) :PDT_Xtremez_28:

HTB

Max

Sergeant
Lets be honest here if you really really wanted to do it you would have, personally i couldnt see the point of doing it for no extra pay and to be honest i wouldnt have bothered unless i needed it for the job i really wanted to do so kinda had to do it. Wish i hadnt now cos the lucky buggers will get a nice redundancy package grrrrrr but the point is if you wanted to you would have, but probably the benifits for most of us were.............. more work no extra pay why bother

I really don't see which Air Force you are in? It was poorly implemented and not thought through at all, I am one of those who was on A/C so managed to do my X500 or more realistically was forced into it to show that the system worked( I would have done it anyway) I fully sympathise with all those who weren't given the opportunity to achieve it as I can't imagine the management at Tossford allowing their instructors to head off and complete it or those in bays who were actually carrying out a valuable job which needed doing would have been let off to complete it.

Bay work or instructing really aren't for me but they are jobs that we NEED doing and to penalise those who did them pretty much sums up the attitude from senior officers towards personnel.

T

The Masked Geek

I did use the obligatory :PDT_Xtremez_28: to show that I was being humorous... but if TMG takes offence then he can PM me and I'll delete it.

I only took offence at it being in yellow, I had to scroll back up to read it. Such a waste of effort. :PDT_Xtremez_14:

As for the thread, it has turned into the obligatory "Woe is TG1" thread so I responded in my usual imitable little way. That said, my jibes are somewhat softened considering my current role in life and it pains me to admit that aircraft tradesmen are the backbone of the world. :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Max

Sergeant
I only took offence at it being in yellow, I had to scroll back up to read it. Such a waste of effort. :PDT_Xtremez_14:

As for the thread, it has turned into the obligatory "Woe is TG1" thread so I responded in my usual imitable little way. That said, my jibes are somewhat softened considering my current role in life and it pains me to admit that aircraft tradesmen are the backbone of the world. :PDT_Xtremez_28:

I don't think the TG1 thing will be an issue for too long to come as there'll only be ex amm's who know different left before too long. I can't wait to hand it all over to the Army and watch them struggle.

Anyway it isn't a woe is TG1 thread only showing how the RAF has manipulated the system and then penalised people for not letting them do that which they deemed necessary and using that to kick them out.

Imagine if they refused to let you have any training at CCS but kicked you out for making a mistake during the WHT because you couldn't remember what you were taught in Basic would you consider it fair?

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts

Have you turned lazy since becoming a civvy and a published writer?

As for the thread, it has turned into the obligatory "Woe is TG1" thread (are there any other Trade Groups worth discussion? :PDT_Xtremez_28:)so I responded in my usual imitable little way. That said, my jibes are somewhat softened considering my current role in life and it pains me to admit that aircraft tradesmen are the backbone of the world. :PDT_Xtremez_28:

TMG's original comment... no editing required!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

HTB

Back