• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

12th of June coming soon

Kingpin

SAC
Many people see the RAF more as a vocation than a job and have accepted a lot of things they wouldn't put up with in civvy street.

We are used to the highs and lows but it now seems to be all lows and no highs and our tolerance is running out.

All the RAF has been effected but TG1/2 more than others. The hoops we jump through and the responsibility that comes with it aren't echoed by other trades that were given a 5K pay rise to receive the same pay.

I think you need to accept that the RAF does not revolve entirely around TG1/2. There are many other trades who have responsibilities akin to yours, you just have no sight or knowledge of it. It is pure ignorance to suggest otherwise.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Gents, can we keep the trade bashing confined to the relevant forums please.

Not everyone wants to see the same old TG1 vs the rest of the RAF thread, it's been an interesting discussion so far, please keep it that way.

Ta

MP

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
Back earlier on in the year I hated my current post but still had a sense of loyalty to the RAF. Hence I didn't apply for redundancy as I held out the hope that things would be a bit better away from the world of tornado. But now I must admit, if I were faced with the same decision this week I would apply for it. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that has changed my view in such a short time but I sure I'm not the only one with this train of thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
I think you need to accept that the RAF does not revolve entirely around TG1/2. There are many other trades who have responsibilities akin to yours, you just have no sight or knowledge of it. It is pure ignorance to suggest otherwise.

No intention of bashing trades, just think TG1/2 have possibly less reasons to be cheerful than others.

I welcome other trade's involvement in this thread. Please tell us what has changed in your particular branch/trade that has affected your decision to apply for redundancy.

Kingpin

SAC
No intention of bashing trades, just think TG1/2 have possibly less reasons to be cheerful than others.

I welcome other trade's involvement in this thread. Please tell us what has changed in your particular branch/trade that has affected your decision to apply for redundancy.

It must be said that the AC trades have good reason to be less than cheerful going into this trache of redundancies and they do differ from other TG's.

I myself am TG4 and am personally happy that we have come out almost unscathed this time round. Only a handful of WO's will be affected. Unfortunately my stance is not echoed by all and many are disappointed not to have the chance to apply. Each to their own I guess mate.

John Lloyd

Warrant Officer
A word from one long left. The Services engender the impression of individuals being important and plays on loyalty. It works one way, the same as in industry 'Make them feel special and they will do more'. Until the organisation needs to 'downsize'. Then you are what you are, a cog in the machine with a cost attached. Once this is embraced the reality of redundancy is more easily accepted.

Once you accept that you are paid for last months work and that is all the employer owes you it frees your thinking as to controlling your own destiny. If you don't enjoy the job then find one you do enjoy.

I have had the misfortune to have made a number of people redundant on behalf of 'the company'. In the case of long serving staff (More expensive to keep than newbies), once the deed has been done, following a consultation period, most agree that it is not the job they remember enjoying and that they have skills and abilities to move on. It is true that as one door closes another one opens. It may not be the right door, but you will never know it until you try it.

The management have no interest in the individual, just the task and in particular bad management with a bad task.

To all those who get it, either voluntarily or compulsorily put it down to experience and make the best of the opportunity.

It's only a job.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Many people see the RAF more as a vocation than a job.

It's only a job.

Once the former opinion was talked about by the majority, but in recent times the latter point of view is being heard more and more. If it is simply a job and the RAF is seen as nothing more than a vehicle to bread on the table perhaps then, it is time to move on. I just hope there's not much weeping and gnashing of teeth next Tuesday.

NigeC

Corporal
Very sad,

But very true.

Have to agree as over the years since leaving I have found this to be the case - Loyalty, in my book, is a two way thing, not just one way so I know where I stand with my employer so they get what they pay for, no more no less and I don't work overtime for free

When did you realise it'd impede your career?

On my MSAT course I was informed by the WO that the plan would be to introduce split trade promotion board and that anyone who wasn't X500 would be C graded. For that reason alone I decided it would be something high on my list of priorities to complete and it was a useful career objective for SJAR. It may work against me now as I have volunteered for redundancy and I suspect those who are not X500 will be pushed first.

to conclude that anyone without x500 is a slacker is shortsighted.

I didn't say slackers, but you would be right in assuming that my opinion is that non X500 people have not made it a priority and that is/was their choice. It works both ways though - I have seen people promoted recently that have done 5 years + instructing and CIO without being X500. Maybe there priority was sitting tight in their preferred environment collecting a good SJAR profile, if they got picked up it paid off, if they didn't..........

Does anyone know how many are in the field for ATM Cpls ? I know they are after 95 but just how many are eligible ?

I don't think anyone outside the inner sanctum will know that, but I estimate that there is (all approx)

1000 in field

600-700 elegible

300-400 locked in (on Herrick, Q'd on typhoon,FSTA,Rivet Joint blah)

maybe leaves about 300......lets guess that 100-150 are volunteering......

they're asking for up to 95

should be interesting!

Max

Sergeant
I don't think anyone outside the inner sanctum will know that, but I estimate that there is (all approx)

1000 in field

600-700 elegible

300-400 locked in (on Herrick, Q'd on typhoon,FSTA,Rivet Joint blah)

maybe leaves about 300......lets guess that 100-150 are volunteering......

they're asking for up to 95

should be interesting!

And don't forget they have just promoted 150 or so as well.

E

enginesuck

I had guesstimated similar figures, im hoping im in a strong position to be selected being a volunteer and having no current aircraft Qs (albeit working on a current a/c and deploying twice recently. Everything crossed for this one

Max

Sergeant
I had guesstimated similar figures, im hoping im in a strong position to be selected being a volunteer and having no current aircraft Qs (albeit working on a current a/c and deploying twice recently. Everything crossed for this one

Good luck, what are you planning on doing if you get it?

E

enginesuck

Looking at going down the field service engineer route - offshore. There seems to be a fair amount of opportunities out there at the moment.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I am actually quite surprised.

With just less than one week to go, no-one has asked what is possibly the most important question of all when we talk about redundancy.

Are any sections out there planning to have a redundancy p155 up on the 12th? :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Surely people need an opportunity to either celebrate or commiserate being selected or not?

HTB

Typhoon 'Q' doesn't make you safe, well it didn't last round!

maybe not. But they didn't have a skills matrix last time did they? The skills matrix for tranche 2 says something along the line of

"Typhoon is the future and it is essential that experience is preserved"

To me that says chill out if you have a Q on Bafoons.
Plus when we were binned off Harriers they were reluctant to let us rock up on Bafoon sqns where we would dilute the effectiveness with our lack of experience.

Back