• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

12th of June coming soon

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
To get this thread back on topic...

are there any other Goaters out there who are worried/excited/hopeful that they receive an envelope next week?

Or, like Max, do you know of someone that should be got rid of... but will probably get to stay, whilst the good guys get shafted?

HTB

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
I really don't see which Air Force you are in? It was poorly implemented and not thought through at all, I am one of those who was on A/C so managed to do my X500 or more realistically was forced into it to show that the system worked( I would have done it anyway) I fully sympathise with all those who weren't given the opportunity to achieve it as I can't imagine the management at Tossford allowing their instructors to head off and complete it or those in bays who were actually carrying out a valuable job which needed doing would have been let off to complete it.
Bay work or instructing really aren't for me but they are jobs that we NEED doing and to penalise those who did them pretty much sums up the attitude from senior officers towards personnel.

Agreed. The Multi Skill concept was delivered to us at Cosford as non negotiable, even after the obvious pit falls were pointed out. I pointed out that the X500 would be shambolic and provided a solution that would have covered both the instructors and people in bays etc; this fell on stony ground.
Next I pointed out that with the standard 20% turnaround of staff, we would clear the x500 hurdle well within the life of the training period (with the exceptions of last tourists / twisted sock brigade), if and only if, we only took x500 replacements. This too fell on stony ground. As a result I warned all Multi Skill courses that I briefed, of the likely result of not gaining the x annotation; sadly I've been proved to be correct.

I don't buy the excuses. I was in a place where they were not helping implement X500 because it was a civvy enviroment. Soon as I realised it would impede my career, I found a way to get it done. Had I not found a way I would have kicked off till I got a move somewhere that I could do it. totally agree that it was a load of poorly planned w@nk, but crack on.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
Having being one of the luckones to be a compulsary redundee on tranch 1(out early and doing a job that i i enjoy for a big payrise) i can say that good luck to those that applied and stay calm and keep focused for those that get pinged without volunteering.

Don't get bitter if you do get selected, i felt really angry when i got pinged but focused that anger and planned my exit accordingly and now i'm in a job i enjoy.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Having being one of the luckones to be a compulsary redundee on tranch 1(out early and doing a job that i i enjoy for a big payrise) i can say that good luck to those that applied and stay calm and keep focused for those that get pinged without volunteering.

Don't get bitter if you do get selected, i felt really angry when i got pinged but focused that anger and planned my exit accordingly and now i'm in a job i enjoy.

That's probably really good advice, I imagine the first reaction is always anger....

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I don't buy the excuses. I was in a place where they were not helping implement X500 because it was a civvy enviroment. Soon as I realised it would impede my career, I found a way to get it done. Had I not found a way I would have kicked off till I got a move somewhere that I could do it. totally agree that it was a load of poorly planned w@nk, but crack on.

When did you realise it'd impede your career? Don't say it was obvious because there was no policy that I'd seen that this would be the case prior to the AVM staff paper last year. The policy I'd been briefed was that the x500 would be swept up in your next 1st line tour...perfectly reasonable. If I remember correctly, the task list on Nimrod was huge with 1st line folks struggling to fit them all in. As you might imagine, allocating tasks to software geeks wasn't the highest on the list of priorities for NLS and an unnecessary overhead for them.

They should have included the practical element within the multi-skilling course, but allied with the 1st line tourist only policy, didn't need to and saved money. These two elements are linked and years down the line to conclude that anyone without x500 is a slacker is shortsighted. I doubt a 1st line tourist who fails to get their x500 squared away will be on decent assessments as it could be said to demonstrate a lack of motivation. If they'd have pushed (and provisioned for) the x500 with the same vigour as multi skilling, this wouldnt be an issue.

To spin up a new policy in the way the AVM did is, on the face of it, a blunt and ineffective instrument to identify and stunt the career of slackers. I think this is a sign of the wider intent to remove all but 1st line work on the gamut of possible jobs with no room for those that do wish to work in aviation but not directly on aircraft.

B

bluetonic

Anyway, back on topic. I have just returned from OOA, and will be on holiday on the 12th in the UK. I don't particularly want redundancy, however the payout will take the sting out of it. Hopefully i'll have a phone signal on the beach!

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Meetimmee

Sounds like you had exactly the same brief as me. What would have been the point of me doing X-500? Almost 10 years after MSAT and not having worked on an aircraft, everything would have been forgotten.

Maybe I should have remustered to Admin. Same money, afternoons off for training, no accountability for mistakes and fewer hoops to jump through.

Roll on redundancy!

T

The Masked Geek

Blah blah, x500, blah blah, TG1, blah, x500, blah, TG1.

Try setting up a new thread guys. This is the redundancy thread, not the TG1 gripe thread.....:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
I think it has something to do with being TG1. I didn't gripe half as much when I was TG2!

X-500 is relevant to redundancy as anyone in TG1 without it is more likely to be selected, anyone not multi-skilled, even more.
There are other crteria we could chat about like up to 5 extra points towards selection if you've served 20 or more years.
Then there's MES and Deployability.
And as for the skills matrix......

M

monobrow

X-500 is relevant to redundancy as anyone in TG1 without it is more likely to be selected, anyone not multi-skilled, even more.
More likely? The quota for non multiskilled was "All" in some ranks and trades.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Max

Sergeant
Blah blah, x500, blah blah, TG1, blah, x500, blah, TG1.

Try setting up a new thread guys. This is the redundancy thread, not the TG1 gripe thread.....:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Feel free to leave anytime. It is a major part of the redundancy and since they were looking for up to 95 in rank and trade probably the largest impact on the whole of Tranche 2.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
As someone who (sadly) is again not included in this Tranche I'd just like to say that I hope the Selection Board do the right thing and select those who offer least value in the future, regardless of whether or not they have volunteered.

Max

Sergeant
As someone who (sadly) is again not included in this Tranche I'd just like to say that I hope the Selection Board do the right thing and select those who offer least value in the future, regardless of whether or not they have volunteered.

Unfortunately in our trade a lot of the good guys who knew they'd be fine outside have already gone through redundancy or failing that PVR. I know they are attempting to manage it sensibly but the point system is too impersonal to clear the dead wood and once again we will lose a large number of people who are good at their job.

T

The Masked Geek

Unfortunately in our trade a lot of the good guys who knew they'd be fine outside have already gone through redundancy or failing that PVR.

Then we should congratulate them, the sinking ship does not deserve to hold on to the good guys. If the RAF starts to take its personnel seriously, they may be more inclined to stay.

E

enginesuck

Does anyone know how many are in the field for ATM Cpls ? I know they are after 95 but just how many are eligible ?

Weebl

Flight Sergeant

Does that actually work though? I volunteered for tranche 1, and did not get it, so I PVRd. By not selecting me, they kicked somebody out who did not want to go, and then I left as well anyway. On paper he may have been slightly less of a future value (however that was quantified, and for all we know it was a Q on an aircraft I had not worked on in 15 years than made that difference) however, he wanted to be in and I didn't.

I don't know how many unsuccessful applicants PVRd anyway, and I don't know if that was accounted for when deciding numbers, but I would imagine that that information from Tranche 1 would be vital to making the decisions in Tranche 2.

Kingpin

SAC
Then we should congratulate them, the sinking ship does not deserve to hold on to the good guys. If the RAF starts to take its personnel seriously, they may be more inclined to stay.

To be fair TMG, that is a very easy thing to say from someone who has already left 'the sinking ship' and what has 'desrerving' got to do with it? The powers that be should make every effort to keep the good guys and bin the weak. Makes complete sense to me.

T

The Masked Geek

what has 'desrerving' got to do with it?.

A sh1t company in civvy street will not hold on to the best manpower. The RAF is no different. I left because there were greener pastures; very much greener. Why should good guys be held back from these opportunities?

The powers that be should make every effort to keep the good guys and bin the weak. Makes complete sense to me.

Indeed they should but forcing the good to stay is not the way to do it. They should encourage the good to stay.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Many people see the RAF more as a vocation than a job and have accepted a lot of things they wouldn't put up with in civvy street.

We are used to the highs and lows but it now seems to be all lows and no highs and our tolerance is running out.

All the RAF has been effected but TG1/2 more than others. The hoops we jump through and the responsibility that comes with it aren't echoed by other trades that were given a 5K pay rise to receive the same pay.

Back