• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aircraft licensing.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Agreed. And if you and your Quality Manager ('Cos he has to back you up in your application) are caught lying (falsifying licence application details) you lose your Licence and you both lose your careers. Your names will run like a tsunami around the circuits. And it won't matter if you're in the Mob or not, if you have a pukkah EASA Licence, you'll lose it and you wont get a proper job.

Seen it, and seen the effects. Sad.

Old BCAR converted LAE's are shocked by amount of tasks the wantabe B1's have to prove to the CAA for the basic application. My logbook is like war and peace, its bl**dy exploding with the sheets I've got in it. My problem is working on an MRO that has approvals on multiple types and hasn't really had an ongoing run of checks on one type only (that I've been on) so my basic tasks are well spread over the range. Not bad for the basic, but only little chunks of it will carry on towards a type. Dirty Harry is very right on recording the tasks that you do day in/ day out on a Squadron or BAE run shed. A QAM of an MRO will be interested in such information as it will help him sign off the recommendation on the initial application with the minimum of a years 145 time. Without that he might state back that the 3 year skilled worker rule from the ELGD applys. Mine did, even with a 4820 record of units served and the testimonals. My other recorded work was just too old, but my situation wasn't helped by some of the jobs I was forced to do in my latter RAF career. Inmaterial now as I am well into the third year on the civvy tools, that QAM is off to pastures new and so am I, definately to a better company than the one I've been employed..

Grand Prix fanatic..
Agreed. And if you and your Quality Manager ('Cos he has to back you up in your application) are caught lying (falsifying licence application details) you lose your Licence and you both lose your careers. Your names will run like a tsunami around the circuits. And it won't matter if you're in the Mob or not, if you have a pukkah EASA Licence, you'll lose it and you wont get a proper job.

Seen it, and seen the effects. Sad.

There are a lot of liars out there...

Grand Prix fanatic..
Reaching the Grail

Reaching the Grail

Personally, a great day for me as arriving back from my holiday, a nice burgandy wallet containing my basic Aircraft Maintenance Licence certificate was waiting for me, now signed by me as well. Only the "A" licence part is available for me to use with a company approval, if I can find a company that wants me and I still require a type course pass/OJT and an approval to see the full benefit of the full licence. It will be interesting to see how it affects my pay scale at my new company when I get there too, just as a mechanic.

I can look at the LAE adverts now as well!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Almost 5 years since I started looking at doing the modules. The recession hasn't helped me, but what the hell.

I'll second that!! I was lucky, my company put me on a type course before the 12 months were up and I went straight onto full licence pay with approval.
Keep up the good work!

Grand Prix fanatic..
I'll second that!! I was lucky, my company put me on a type course before the 12 months were up and I went straight onto full licence pay with approval.
Keep up the good work!

I was contracting near home for the first year and my second company had its favourities that were first in the queue. Base as well so they were not particulary bothered, especially with redundancies last year. Thanks for the congrats ..

Obi Wan

Sergeant
Personally, a great day for me as arriving back from my holiday, a nice burgandy wallet containing my basic Aircraft Maintenance Licence certificate was waiting for me, now signed by me as well. Only the "A" licence part is available for me to use with a company approval, if I can find a company that wants me and I still require a type course pass/OJT and an approval to see the full benefit of the full licence. It will be interesting to see how it affects my pay scale at my new company when I get there too, just as a mechanic.

I can look at the LAE adverts now as well!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Almost 5 years since I started looking at doing the modules. The recession hasn't helped me, but what the hell.

Good on you buddy. glad its all going ok. :pDT_Xtremez_14:

davie77

LAC
need help

need help

I won't go into much details as I want to keep it short as possible but I am really struggling here and need serious help and I remembered this website from my RAF days

RAF Experience
12 Years Avionics/Electrics (last 3)

I have not touched a plane in 5 years for personal reasons but am seriously desperate to get back in the game
I have used up me enhanced learning credits.

I cant afford to take the exams and 99% of jobs I see are licensed.
What I really need is an unlicensed position within a company where i can then gain my experience and do my exams slow time. Does such a thing exist ?

I tried contractor work but its unreliable and I had 2 really bad situations so I dont wish to go back to that

any help , sarcasm, advice . I dont mind

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Hi Davie,

I apologise now for the harsh tone here but, from your post, I think you already know the score....

If you haven't already - try www.aviationjobsearch.com and look for "mechanics"

Apart from that and similar sites (and there are loads); Unless you know someone that can fix a job for you - I recon your best bet is to get back into the hard world of Connying and get that experience logged. Connying will show you (again?) how hard civil aviation life can be and possibly help you to make a firm decision about where you want to be. Work for you, as a mechanic, probably wont get any better until you have a B2 Licence AND a type rating.

Any work that you do to get a 66 (of any sort) is wasted without a decent experience book.

Best of Luck mate - whatever you decide.
Rigga

davie77

LAC
Cheers Rigga for the quick response.
I had tried avionicjobsearch but not with "mechanic" which actually threw up some good responses, previously I had tried trigger words like trainee and apprentice.

I already have a really good civilian log book which I bought 5 years ago from the tso book shop as well as a really good filled raf log book.

I would happily work for peanuts , its just getting my foot in the door...

I can't unfortunately go back to contract work. I have had 2 horror experiences with it , once in Ali al Salem and once in Wiltshire.

I do know people at Bristows in Aberdeen so that might be an option.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
...Ali al Salem and...Wiltshire.

I do know people at Bristows in Aberdeen so that might be an option.

1. It's no good having an empty and pretty book - you need it filled with relevant work experience.

2. Try to avoid military experience if you can. Some of it may not be useful for your record of experience.

3. If you know someone that might pull strings, don't be too bashful to use them.

davie77

LAC
1. It's no good having an empty and pretty book - you need it filled with relevant work experience.

2. Try to avoid military experience if you can. Some of it may not be useful for your record of experience.

3. If you know someone that might pull strings, don't be too bashful to use them.

I am thinking of doing it for free. I get plenty of time off in my current job and have offered my services free to the airport in Dundee. I think in the long run it will be worth it and I might even get paid work out of it..

Keyser Söze

Corporal
David, just out of interest, why do you think you can't go back into contracting? Horror stories or not?

furthermore if you've not touched aircraft for 5 yrs, be careful of the CAA, since they don't generally like 'gaps' in experience. As you're probably aware there is the possibility of a reduction in time requirements in order to satisfy the CAA 'B' licence requirements due to your military service.

Good luck with the modules it is generally worth all the effort, since you're oooop north I assume you'll be frequenting AST?