• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aircraft licensing.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
The following link is for serving UK military personnel who wish to self study with Lufthansa Resource Technical Training

http://lrtt.co.uk/content.php?id=50&tpl=3

£5,480.84 to do the B1.1 by distance learning???. RIP OFF! I did all the modules as part of a 4 year BSc course via ICAT and including the uni assignments, the cost was only £3,750 and that was expensive!! If I do year 4, I will also have a degree (worth little, but still one) for less that that cost.

Get the Jeppeson book on propellers (around £30 tops) and that will have all the info to pass module 17. LBP is a cheaper option still as DH will attest to.

W

widebody

Get ou and use it

Get ou and use it

If your studying or have your licence then get out and use it. Make the service pay for the training for those who apply for jobs requiring licencing within the service. All those studying for their licence on the premise of getting a job with FSTA are just wasting their ECDL and helping the swindging RAF and Budget holders....

Grand Prix fanatic..
If your studying or have your licence then get out and use it. Make the service pay for the training for those who apply for jobs requiring licencing within the service. All those studying for their licence on the premise of getting a job with FSTA are just wasting their ECDL and helping the swindging RAF and Budget holders....

I'm confused mate, there is a recession on.. Anybody leaving has to have a minumum of 6 months cocurrance Part 145 experience (if they can prove the other 6 months over 7 years of civvy experience), 12 if not and all the other hurdles that the CAA have in place. They will need a type course, OJT on that type (harder for the first one) and a company approval. Yes, be a connie.. The connie circuit is over satuated at the mo, and agencies are going to go for their old boys and MROs will go for known people when they can get them.You can get a lot of experience as a connie, but it ain't going to get you that first approval, is it?

BTW I'm out of the mob with all the modules, have connyed and am working as a permie at the mo. I'll get the ticket eventually, but my company doesn't make it easy.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
What the fekk has the European Computer Driving Licence got to do with Aircraft Licences?

Or do you mean ELC Enhanced Learning Credits?

I hear they're looking for more licensed engineers for ASTOR... Just been speaking with the licensed guys in KAF they seem to have the life of a god. No J.A.P, JENGO, WO even thier SENGO has no engineering power over them. (How can this be....?) Apparently they're getting paid extra for doing this job. Does anybody know different?

Webbo

Sergeant
I hear they're looking for more licensed engineers for ASTOR... Just been speaking with the licensed guys in KAF they seem to have the life of a god. No J.A.P, JENGO, WO even thier SENGO has no engineering power over them. (How can this be....?) Apparently they're getting paid extra for doing this job. Does anybody know different?

ASTOR or KingAir (Shadow)? I have a very good friend on Shadow who is a licensed engineer a d he fcuking hates it. And it is no more money! Hope that helps. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
ASTOR or KingAir (Shadow)? I have a very good friend on Shadow who is a licensed engineer a d he fcuking hates it. And it is no more money! Hope that helps. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

'scuse the ignorance... is he RAF or Civvy? Supervisor or not?
I'm wondering, if he's a civvy LAE, if he's not liking working with/for RAF colleagues?
Or he is just frustrated at working in the system imposed by RAF logic.

Webbo

Sergeant
'scuse the ignorance... is he RAF or Civvy? Supervisor or not?
I'm wondering, if he's a civvy LAE, if he's not liking working with/for RAF colleagues?
Or he is just frustrated at working in the system imposed by RAF logic.

RAF, Supervisor, Licensed Engineer and all you statements are true. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

MMM life of a God I wish, take it from some one who knows, they do not get paid more money(I wish), harmony shot to sh*t, but yeah the rest is quite true. Its a very refreshing way of working, but dont get me wrong there is still hell of alot of civil procedure and regs to adhere to, but its oh so much more of a sensible way to approach aircraft engineering. The answer to your question about - SENGO has no engineering power over them. (How can this be....?) simple answer no license! By the way there is no LE's on ASTOR, from what I know about ASTOR.

Why bother, doing the LAE thingy. I am told it takes two years to get their ticket, there is no more money or anything, but more responsibilty and from what I gather some are getting hammered on the time away. At least the GEs on hercs n stuff get more money for less training and when they are not away they can be at home on standby. GE sounds the way forward to me.

Last edited:

Grand Prix fanatic..
Why bother, doing the LAE thingy. I am told it takes two years to get their ticket, there is no more money or anything, but more responsibilty and from what I gather some are getting hammered on the time away. At least the GEs on hercs n stuff get more money for less training and when they are not away they can be at home on standby. GE sounds the way forward to me.

Because matey, once those have got the LAE ticket do their bond time (that they had to agree to get the post), they can bang out with a licence, a type rating and a company approval.. It takes over a year, maybe two or longer to get that outside (depending on circumstance) and not many companies will bother to help you do that at the mo. Being a GE means nothing outside towards getting licenced. If you wish to stay in the mob, go GE. If you don't.. I wish I had gone the shadow route, missus would have hated it. However I would be licenced now, not fighting to get what I require just the basic..:raf:

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I concur (I've always wanted to say that!)

GE may be an okay job in the RAF but has no real prospects outside (unless you work for the few companies that use hercs) and no technical recognition in mainstream civil aviation - in fact, having seen what they do, it may even go against them for some jobs.

The (RAF) LAE's do have a recognised qualification and will leave with years of experience (albeit para-military) of EASA Forms 1, FAA 8130's, MELs and recognised civil line and base practices.

If they leave with a Type Rating (for G4's or Beech 200's?) good luck to them in the business aviation world.

Grand Prix fanatic..
The (RAF) LAE's do have a recognised qualification and will leave with years of experience (albeit para-military) of EASA Forms 1, FAA 8130's, MELs and recognised civil line and base practices.

If they leave with a Type Rating (for G4's or Beech 200's?) good luck to them in the business aviation world.

I think its 200s and 350s with PT6A etc.. I know some of the guys on there and they have good contacts outside for furture employment! As their approvals are with a PART 145 org (not military) and Form 1s / 8130s have to be used, they are laughing (apart from the sandy days). They possibly have the best tech logs in the world too I bet, taking the best of the military system in with the requirements of EASA Part M.

It amazes me now that the F703 system never required a system lim'd to be marked as such on the relevent control panel etc..

Mr Roast

LAC
Help 3 years left

Help 3 years left

Hi , Im a E-Goat virgin so sorry if this is not in the right place etc...

Well I am a fairy/lecky with various experiences from 1st to 3rd line, from fast jets to transport prop jobs and I have 3 years left to complete my 22, and a have a few questions for you guys!

I would like your advise to wether it is still worth these days going down the aircraft licences route or not.?

If so are there any courses run in a 40/50 mile radius of Staffordshire, I would like to attend a college/venue for exams near my home address rather than in south wales for example?

Finally is there anyone out there with any better ideas other than aircraft licensing?

I await your replies, thanks.

Rigga

1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
First, there are many things out there for a time served (SNCO?) aircraft tradesman to do - other than aircraft jobs. But I don't know about them!

I'm sure someone on here will fill you in on that score soon.

IF working on aircraft still 'excites' you (and not in a sexual way) then going for your licences is the thing to do - and no amount of advice on here should persuade you otherwise. There are good times and bad times outside. When you join it is largely a matter of luck. How you join it is a matter of preparation.

If you're looking for someone to tell you where the best prospects are at the moment - get a crystal ball and start gazing into it. Most UK maintenance areas seem to be in some form of stagnation or decline at the moment, either through fear of investing in the future or a lack of money from banks.

After 20 years - you have left the last two years to enact your escape plan. Look around and make a decision as to what YOU want to do (or where you'd like to be) and then ask for advice as to how to get where YOU want.

Grand Prix fanatic..
Check out the CAA website on where examinations take place, I do think Manchester is one venue (but don't quote me). I did the distance learning course via ICAT (but there are cheaper ways of doing it and save ELCs as a backup for something else). Is the industry struggling at the mo? Too right it is..

Word of warning. While line maintenance has a fairly even split between B1s and B2s, base maintenance does not (oh, just like the RAF). It is harder to get into the industy as an AV than a heavy and don't be shocked if you have to find employment away from the area you wish to be (like I am). Most MROs have chopped numbers this year and most of us are always wandering what next year will bring..

Other fields can earn you better cash. Only line pays the bigger bucks, base is a LOT less in most cases. Connying? Dead duck in most cases, connies being screwed to the wall on rates and the ability of avoiding the taxman..

Last edited:
O

ovveK

Hi guys. I am a legacy sootie turned heavy and only worked on the c130-j. There is a good chance I may be axed at my 9 year point this September!

I haven't done anything by way of preparation for a civvy career as I always thought I would get signed on to 12. I've done a little searching on all the usual job sites and everywhere seems to want experience or a degree.

Just wondering if you guys could suggest the quickest way to get working if I don't get signed on. I love the hands on work and don't really mind traveling as long as I get plenty of time at home.

Any and all advice greatly received.

Cheers.