• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Allowance review inbound...

W

wgaf

What other jobs pays HTD??? Answer none, I know you may have not chosen to live in MQ but in time when the dream ends for us all in the comfort of the military and we have to find another job, then what? The shelf stacker at Tesco does not get petrol.....! I think (which is dangerous!)We get paid well and the benefits are a plus in any job.

Stuck it up and get one with it
It's a bad arguement at best, the fact remains that we aren't civvies. We have chosen a path that may involve putting our lives in danger, some pay the ultimate price. For that there should be a reward. It matters not wether you live in MQs or private accommodation the perks of the job are being whittled away. Perks that we earn and deserve above civilians.

FootTapper

Sergeant
What happens for scalies who live out and can't drive.

How do they get to work at the moment? That's how they'll get to work in future.

Reducing the amount of HDT people get doesn't change their ability to get to work or not, it just means that getting to work costs more.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
How do they get to work at the moment? That's how they'll get to work in future.

Reducing the amount of HDT people get doesn't change their ability to get to work or not, it just means that getting to work costs more.

Look at the post above which I asked the question. The poster was saying think again if mt will provide transport. So how do they get to work on his camp

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Ours does - but no-one on the MQs gets HTD. Which do you thinks costs (or should that be costed) more ! Wonder how long it will last now......

Gray

It will currently be done at your unit to save a few quid. I bet that once folk have to pay for their own transport they'll either withdraw it or stick a bus conductor on it and charge everyone for a ride to work!

It's a bad arguement at best, the fact remains that we aren't civvies. We have chosen a path that may involve putting our lives in danger, some pay the ultimate price. For that there should be a reward. It matters not wether you live in MQs or private accommodation the perks of the job are being whittled away. Perks that we earn and deserve above civilians.

Shame there isn't a 'like' button, couldn't agree more with this - policy makers need to be reminded of the differences, and trying to broadly align our terms of service to our civilian counterparts is a dodgy policy in terms of future recruiting/retention. Would people put up with everything thrown at them with no recompense? I doubt it.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Shame there isn't a 'like' button, couldn't agree more with this - policy makers need to be reminded of the differences, and trying to broadly align our terms of service to our civilian counterparts is a dodgy policy in terms of future recruiting/retention. Would people put up with everything thrown at them with no recompense? I doubt it.

I agree. I get £2 a hour more because I could get physically, verbally abused or spat on. Would I do it without being recompensed. No

Sergeant
got posted to bruggen mid 70s,quarter at gilenkerken 52 mile round trip. had to use mt bus shuttle til i got tax free car. i had to pay towards the cost of the suttle, you had to have a ticket that had been paid for or no go. forget how much, so paying for home to duty is not new.

And now that we are all going to have to pay even more to go to work what is going to happen to people like Stn Cdr's and Padres? Are they exempt? No, I didn't think so but they also tend to live out in public accommodation but they won't be paying HDT because they get free MT transport and go juice. Surely this is a benefit in kind and should also be looked at by the taxman?

Realist78

Master of my destiny
And now that we are all going to have to pay even more to go to work what is going to happen to people like Stn Cdr's and Padres? Are they exempt? No, I didn't think so but they also tend to live out in public accommodation but they won't be paying HDT because they get free MT transport and go juice. Surely this is a benefit in kind and should also be looked at by the taxman?

Do you know if it is or isn't looked at by the taxman?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts

AOCs, Stn Cdrs etc do not pay additional tax, despite them having a car exclusively for them. All the cars are centrally hired to the unit and it is up to the MTO how he allocates them.

T

Tubby

AOCs, Stn Cdrs etc do not pay additional tax, despite them having a car exclusively for them. All the cars are centrally hired to the unit and it is up to the MTO how he allocates them.

No it isn't. It may well be centrally controlled but the CO has a car with his post. The house, vehicle and what everelse is seen as a necessity of the post. They are ambassadors for the Sation and the RAF and are expected to entertain etc. It is not taxed for that reason.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
2 cars, as it happens. 1 is a spare, or as I liked to call it, OC MT Flights "personal use" vehicle <ahem>.

Course, didn't always go down too well with the OC Ops wing in his little Metro, so best not be seen in it. he he.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Spot on.

The CO doesnt have a car hired by the MOD specifically in his name, but will always get one. That way the taxman wont be able to touch him.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
The last Stn Cdr at Stornoway had a Service bicycle - I'm fairly sure he didn't declare that to the taxman either.

Cycle to work is a tax free scheme, I'm surprised you didn't know about this, and with the removal of htd to people in work provided housing I'm surprised someone doesn't put in a gem for this.

Back