• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jobs that are an utter Barsteward!

Get Tae said:
Wire locking the main engine bearer on a bucc engine, building the f***ing engine gantry for an ecu cx also took several hours.
LP fuel P sw on the bottom of a hunter engine without doing the defuel.....

Blimey, this takes me back a year or two. Wasn't there a rectangular panel inside the Bucc rad-alt bay or somewhere front-ish that gave access to the CASC on the inside of the stbd donk? Seem to remember that could be a b@st@rd to put back.

Remember getting p!ss wet through changing those Hunter fuel pressure switches too. And disconnecting/reconnecting the AVPIN starter fuel lines on the F6 when being shoved head first down the intake past that sticky-out blade thingy half-way down (there, I said it had been a year or two!).

Harriers - Looking for things that others had dropped down the side of the engine. Replacing the LP Fuel Cock cable sticks in my mind too for some unremembered reason

Tombs? Most of it was just a pain in the arrse - it was an American design and they had to keep their guys busy, so they invented lots of needlessly difficult ways to do things every four hours.

G

gemarriott

Harry_R_Jumpjet said:
Blimey, this takes me back a year or two. Wasn't there a rectangular panel inside the Bucc rad-alt bay or somewhere front-ish that gave access to the CASC on the inside of the stbd donk? Seem to remember that could be a b@st@rd to put back.

Remember getting p!ss wet through changing those Hunter fuel pressure switches too. And disconnecting/reconnecting the AVPIN starter fuel lines on the F6 when being shoved head first down the intake past that sticky-out blade thingy half-way down (there, I said it had been a year or two!).

Harriers - Looking for things that others had dropped down the side of the engine. Replacing the LP Fuel Cock cable sticks in my mind too for some unremembered reason

Tombs? Most of it was just a pain in the arrse - it was an American design and they had to keep their guys busy, so they invented lots of needlessly difficult ways to do things every four hours.

Bucc for the plumbers was a pretty easy kite to work on apart from the canopy jettison stuff in the front which mean standing on your head using both your left hands and all 17 thumbs to arm.

The Tomb was just as Get tae described, all our stuff which always worked as advertised had to keep coming off for the Ancillery trades to fix their crap and then we'd bolt it all back together when they had all fcuked off home.

Still I was much happier working all the hours Allah filled the days with on the squadrons than regular days in teh dump or bays.

T

Turbo Angryman

Massive hommer

Massive hommer

UnknownLiney said:
I admit that working on the c-130K means that there are virtually no real ****s of a job.

However there are some disgusting jobs that need to be done...such as emptying a bucket full of **** (which has normally been left to stew for a week or two). That to be honest is the worst job going on the C-130K, and it takes a strong stomach not to throw up when faced with that.
Your showing your lack of liney credentials now!!
That is no where near the worst job on the mighty c130K
Try changing the wing isolation valve with only a leatherman when balancing on a set of forks bieng driven by a random afghan!
Or maybe trying to tighten up the nut on the back of the manual overide handle for the flight deck pack when some random b#ll end switches the power on and you then set on fire and nearly die!! That was nice
More if you want
Turbo Angryman
Angryness Level 1/10

Last edited:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Being the SWO is a barstard of a job!

I've probably got that the wrong way round

You've got to be a real ******* to be a proper SWO and ours, at the Kollege of Porridge is a world fnucking champion, - beat that

T

Turbo Angryman

Apparently

Apparently

Hu Jardon said:

You've got to be a real ******* to be a proper SWO and ours, at the Kollege of Porridge is a world fnucking champion, - beat that
Apparently the WO at Kollege of porridge's tmt section is just as as bad, thats what Sorry Cj told me anyway
Turbo Angryman
Angryness Level 1/10

Last edited:

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Turbo Angryman said:
Apparently the WO at college of porridge's tmt section is just as as bad, thats what sorry cj told me anyway
Turbo Angryman
Angryness Level 1/10

Thanks for that comment Turbo. I love the man and I want his babies.

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Turbo Angryman said:
Apparently the WO at college of porridge's tmt section is just as as bad, thats what sorry cj told me anyway
Turbo Angryman
Angryness Level 1/10
I heard yours was always well turned out too staff!

and that one at TMT is a right **** not a b@stard you moaning *****************

Last edited:
Hu Jardon said:

The SWO probably thinks being a Liney is a right b@st@rd of a job:
* Getting told to do 10 different, diametrically-opposed things at once.
* Getting frozen.
* Getting p!ss-wet through with cold AVTUR.
* Getting up for work before others have even gone to bed.
* Getting all the cr@p and watching others turn up to take the credit then fcuk off again.
* Getting jets ready to fly then they don't because of fog.
* Being the lowest of the low (of real trades, that is, not counting rocks, cops, shineys etc)

I could go on, but you get the picture. The SWO:
* Does as he pleases.
* Goes out in the cold through choice.
* Doesn't have to go out in the rain.
* Gets into work when he likes.
* Takes no cr@p off anyone amd is always there when credit is being dished out.
* Doesn't do nugatory work.
* Is top of his tree.

So why the fcuk are they all b@st@rds then? They don't have to be! Imagine one like Dale Winton, or Larry Grayson, or that ponce from Are You Being Served!

F

FairyGoodGuy

budgie said:
RHWR crate on Tonkas. Never done one myself, but over the years have heard alot of liney's go on about it.

Yes mate a complete b@stard, done more than a few whilst in BFG on the mighty 14.... After 10 mins your arms ache, after 20 mins your back aches and after 25 mins you knees pack their bags and f@ckoff... that is if you have not made a feeble excuse and sloped it onto your CPL.... then the tables are turned....

LRMTS head on the tonka is also a pain, trying to wirelock those bolts in.... b-atch even riggers are known to struggle....:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Harry_R_Jumpjet said:
Wasn't there a rectangular panel inside the Bucc rad-alt bay or somewhere front-ish that gave access to the CASC
Got it in a oner HRJ, the panel came out with 12 screws and gave one handed access to the Stbd CASC. Did a few of those, sometimes wondered if it wasnt quicker cx the donk! It was bad enough trying to get in there to put the pipe on to do a bleed never mind cx that fecker!

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
On C130J its the burners, 16 of the little gits and Augmenter valve filters, Tw@ts.

On C130K I reckon it was the burners too, only 8 of them but they were wirelocked too ffs.

Phantoms - I recall CSDU's being a pain in tha A$$

Tonkas - TRCU and NCU cx's. Not really a hard job, but due to being half way between stood up and kneeling down always made me mad when doing these jobs.

M

monobrow

Lynx fixing CRAB b@stard said:
Yes mate a complete b@stard, done more than a few whilst in BFG on the mighty 14.... After 10 mins your arms ache, after 20 mins your back aches and after 25 mins you knees pack their bags and f@ckoff... that is if you have not made a feeble excuse and sloped it onto your CPL.... then the tables are turned....

LRMTS head on the tonka is also a pain, trying to wirelock those bolts in.... b-atch even riggers are known to struggle....:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Changing a CAS can be a b1tch, never mind spending 2 days in paper suit, respirator, overboots and a cement bag of fullers earth when the FLIR gets smashed in.

JEngO wasn't happy that I'd cordoned off the main taxiway. When I asked him if he wanted a look, but would need to get suited up, he put forward that it was a "reasonable" size :D

Arseix

LAC
If memory serves, isn't the RH hyd pump on Tonka's a complete git to change with the APU fitted?

My winner is on Sea King. A RH throttle actuator cx with both engines fitted. They just don't make spanners that shape, that small.

N

New Zealand Rigger

Buccaneer brake control valve!!

Buccaneer brake control valve!!

Situated in the nose, behind the front bulkhead right in the corner! It was a one handed job, normally the left one for right handed types, using mirrors to see what was going on, five or six hydraulic connections and to cap it all they had to be wire locked!! A right bas*ard!

B

Buphoonery

Tonkas - TRCU and NCU cx's. Not really a hard job, but due to being half way between stood up and kneeling down always made me mad when doing these jobs

6' 2" and those jobs really hurt

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
I nominate replacing the F4 hook uplock microswitch. Skin panel off the asre end, HF set out, radio bay floor and rudder art-feel bellows out - in headfirst 'til just your ankles stick out - head on your berry on the stringer and arm above your head (should that be below your head?) undo the 6 connection screws and cock up the re-connection for fun.

Al that was needed was 6 extra inches (where have we heard that before) on the cable loom! You could do it from the ground then!!!!

Battery Change on a twin sticker was fun - unless you had a trusted rigger with a strong right leg! Another reason to have the seat pan out. BTW I did the first ever battery refit after they were left out for a year in '68 to '69.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
Changing the powder on an MFV.

FAFA servicing in the south Atlantic. 12 days on a poxy boat to S.G. FFS!

D

Don Quixote

Kin hard jobs

Kin hard jobs

tonibaloni said:
on the mighty F4, when we had to do Sonar Beacon checks, the beacon was behind a stress panel above the stabilator, drag a set of steps and a speed brace, undo around 100 non captive screws, press the button........beep. right do up all those panel screwsan hour to do a 2second job!:PDT_Xtremez_34:

Panel 61L - and it was 101 screws of which we usually had to 'heavy out' at least 10+. Sorry to be a saddo!

How's about a none aeroplaney one to break up the flow?

The T84 UKADGE Radar had 04 humungous great electric motors coupled to one massive great drive ring using 04 shaft & gear drive trains. The idea being that one or all motors could be switched on as required for varying purposes of wind loading/sector scanning etc.

The job entailed checking wear limits for backlash and end float on all the shafts/gears along the whole of the drive trains.

The worst part came when you had to venture underneath the drive ring and drop each sump x drive train in turn.

An analogy would be - first running your car engine for a bit, then removing the sump, positioning yourself directly underneath it before looking up into the hot dripping void and working on the crankshaft - only this baby is approx 20 times the size of your average car engine !

We all got to wear one piece rubber 'tank driver' suits with welly's, gloves and safety helmets taped on to it, then any minor orifices left were plugged with bits of kimwipe. It did'nt matter though, as you might as well have only worn your speedo's cos you still got soaked in the most unimaginable mix of stinking oil & sweat for the next 04 days anyhow !

Especially so if, when working away, you inadvertently knocked a 'kimwipe plug' out of one of the now disconnected sump drain tubes (that would be level with your knee at this point) this would now proceed to fill your welly with oil if you had'nt already taped it up !

Oh ...and did I mention - Fantastic work outdoors for Hot Summers/Cold Winters

Last edited:
Back