• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

12th of June coming soon

D

dozyscopie1

There is a "Bring a soon to be ex-boss night" on the 12th in our bar on camp.

FootTapper

Sergeant
Anyone got any idea what the field size for Eng Tech W Cpl is?

Can't think of anywhere to check how many their are in the raf (if I knew that I could make a bit of an educated guess on how many would be eligible)

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Manning website, check out last years promotions, it lists the numbers of A, B and C candidates. I think it's under presidents reports.

bitter123

LAC
Fairies have a field of 500 (I Guess) of which there are approximately 220 A candidates for promotion (Cpl to Sgt). Given that 27 points of the 54 points in the redundancy criteria is decided by a person's assesments, you have to think it will be the B candidates who will feel the brunt of the redundancies. So the field for fairies must be closer to 280 realistically and when you start to take into account those on OOAs and those with rolls requiring licenses and those who are timeX, the field is even smaller, say 220. As they are after upto 75 redundancies, if you are a B candidate fairy with minimum 3 years seniority as a cpl, you have probably got a one in three chance of being made redundant. :PDT_Xtremez_09:

Given that 27 points of the 54 points in the redundancy criteria is decided by a person's assesments, you have to think it will be the B candidates who will feel the brunt of the redundancies

would that be the last assessment boarded? I was a B grade last year, but have a very well written SJAR this year which I fancy could get me into the A bracket. For us heavies it is still at the pre-boarding stage so I would have thought the redundancy board would just look at last years numbers and then count all B grades as the same worth?
All speculation of course and obviously nothing going to change at this late stage - just can't help but keep pondering the subject! :PDT_Xtremez_31:

bitter123

LAC
would that be the last assessment boarded? I was a B grade last year, but have a very well written SJAR this year which I fancy could get me into the A bracket. For us heavies it is still at the pre-boarding stage so I would have thought the redundancy board would just look at last years numbers and then count all B grades as the same worth?
All speculation of course and obviously nothing going to change at this late stage - just can't help but keep pondering the subject! :PDT_Xtremez_31:

Hard to say what assesments they will look at, but you would imagine they would look at your latest. X500 has got to be a big factor in there decision. Those on squadrons will probably be look on more favourably as well.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Your scores, in themselves, will have a small bearing in selection for redundancy and will be used for allocating a 'unique' score in the final line-up. Selection has little to do with promotability as you can still be promoted afterwards.

This particular tranche is about future usefulness to the RAF in your current trade.

For TG1, it's all about being a 'jack of all trades' and a master of nothing. 'First line first' ideology puts a low performing tyre kicker above someone that punches above their weight outside of normal trade boundaries.

My thoughts are, what you know rather than how well you perform are what the selectors will focus on in your SJAR.

If you are on the excluded list or outside the seniority field, you're safe.

If you are in the field, have few Qs and have little aircraft experience you'll be looked at.

If you have no Qs, no X-500, have done over 20yrs, and have limited deployability you'll be focussed on.

No MSAT and you are definitely out.

IMHO of course.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Last week when the Chf Clk told me that Ihave been released from the board, his, 'Congratulations!' etc was quickly followed up by a.......

You are X-500.................aren't you?

(Which I am)

Make of that what you will.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Last week when the Chf Clk told me that Ihave been released from the board, his, 'Congratulations!' etc was quickly followed up by a.......

You are X-500.................aren't you?

(Which I am)

Make of that what you will.

Congratulations on your promotion at least!

Max

Sergeant
On top of all that does anyone know how many PVR's they got from Heavy SNCO's and above since the last Tranche as although it said up to it is obviously flexible.

I know of one Heavy Cpl who recently got his 3rd with less than 2 years left to go til his 22 and did wonder if that showed a shortage of people suddenly.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Not necessarily!

The guy obviously has skills they want to retain and now they can sign him up to LOS 30. There may well have been more promotable candidates that missed out as they have more time left in which to prove their worth.

Your scores, in themselves, will have a small bearing in selection for redundancy and will be used for allocating a 'unique' score in the final line-up. Selection has little to do with promotability as you can still be promoted afterwards.

This particular tranche is about future usefulness to the RAF in your current trade.

For TG1, it's all about being a 'jack of all trades' and a master of nothing. 'First line first' ideology puts a low performing tyre kicker above someone that punches above their weight outside of normal trade boundaries.

My thoughts are, what you know rather than how well you perform are what the selectors will focus on in your SJAR.

If you are on the excluded list or outside the seniority field, you're safe.

If you are in the field, have few Qs and have little aircraft experience you'll be looked at.

If you have no Qs, no X-500, have done over 20yrs, and have limited deployability you'll be focussed on.

No MSAT and you are definitely out.

IMHO of course.

I agree with this. I'm curious though about volunteers being overlooked so that they can push compulsory deadwood.
I know we have done the X-500 'debate' to death, but surely you can't be suggesting there are still people who haven't done MSAT? what are their management playing at?

Personally, I have always made sure I have pushed to the front of the queue when it comes to getting quals that would help my career progression. Ironically though, I have an abundance of Harrier, Sea King and Nimrod Q's and X's. Not many postings out there for my particular brand of experience! :PDT_Xtremez_30::S:PDT_Xtremez_42::PDT_Xtremez_30:

Max

Sergeant
I know we have done the X-500 'debate' to death, but surely you can't be suggesting there are still people who haven't done MSAT? what are their management playing at?

People were given the opportunity to refuse to do MSAT but it was stated that they would not be considered for promotion or I think signed on. It is possible that if you were a Snec or above and refused it that you would still be serving and contracted for a few years yet possibly.

The DIN did thankfully acknwoledge that some Q's regardless of type still showed a basic ability which could be transferred to other types which may still be inservice, even apparently my MRA4 one.

Only days to go I'm actually quite looking forward to the announcements now if only to see how many of us are off.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
People were given the opportunity to refuse to do MSAT but it was stated that they would not be considered for promotion or I think signed on. It is possible that if you were a Snec or above and refused it that you would still be serving and contracted for a few years yet possibly.

The DIN did thankfully acknwoledge that some Q's regardless of type still showed a basic ability which could be transferred to other types which may still be inservice, even apparently my MRA4 one.

Only days to go I'm actually quite looking forward to the announcements now if only to see how many of us are off.

There are probably a small number around but would imagine the only reason for refusing being close to an exit date and therefore considered natural wasteage. I think the only real target left is MSAT (non-X500) that aren't on Ops and particularly those with few or no Aircraft Qs.

Maybe we should have a poll on 12th of June for TG1 of those selected to give us a true picture of the selection process.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
I agree with this. I'm curious though about volunteers being overlooked so that they can push compulsory deadwood.

Personally, I have always made sure I have pushed to the front of the queue when it comes to getting quals that would help my career progression. Ironically though, I have an abundance of Harrier, Sea King and Nimrod Q's and X's. Not many postings out there for my particular brand of experience! :PDT_Xtremez_30::S:PDT_Xtremez_42::PDT_Xtremez_30:

The skills matrix doesn't show the weightings against individual quals but Harrier and Nimrod Qs and Xs are seen as readily transferable so you should be okay.

I should also imagine the RAF Strategic Manpower Prioritisation Matrix (see manning website) having some bearing. If you have quals that map across to priority 1 positions you are more likely to stay in. Places like PTs, AFCOs and Training Establishments look set to run light.

olliepop

Corporal
After yet another sh*te day working with the living dead. And getting tasked with even more stats, charts, tables and QA pish... I Cannot wait until announcements.... I for one hope my name is on the list... If not, PVR in within 48hrs (just incase of admin error)

Good luck to all :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Back