• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

12th of June coming soon

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Yes HTB this workshop is some sort of sick joke!
We did an exercise as a group of 12 where we read 3 stacker SAC SJARs and placed them unanimously in order 1 to 3. The zob running the show said well done you all came to the right conclusion, then she revealed that 2 of the reports were boarded somewhere over a 100 whilst the report we had all put 3rd came off the board top 5. Then they expect you to take the rest of the course seriously!

Perhaps because the other 2 appraisals seen by the promotion board that year did the individual more justice. Perhaps if that poor appraisal had been written better the individual would have been promoted a year earlier.

The bottom line is that individuals who want to be promoted have to take ownership of their own appraisals; they are all the promotion board have to go on. Depending on the personality it can take some big cojones to approach your 1RO and criticise the way they've written your report but what's the alternative?

E

enginesuck

Just a thought - we've been told (my shifts on nights) that we will get a phone call before 11 am if we need to come in and see the wingco - if you have applied and are not successful how do you find out ?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Just a thought - we've been told (my shifts on nights) that we will get a phone call before 11 am if we need to come in and see the wingco - if you have applied and are not successful how do you find out ?

No P45 in 6 months time?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

I suppose if you don't get a phonecall by 1200 (play it safe and add an hours fat) then you aren't in the bracket?

Weebl

Flight Sergeant

I basically sat around as people got called into the SengOs office, and then she went to a meeting. Nobody was around at that point so I went to see the adminers, they told me she had dealt with everyone who had got redundancy so I had not.

She got back a few hours later and knowing I was waiting on it called me in for a chat and to see if I was ok hanging on for Tranche 2 or if I saw the fact I did not get it as a compliment and might I like to stay on, promotion possible, blah blah. I had already PVR'd by that point.

If it is anything like Tranche 1, you don't get told on the day, you get a letter a few days after. The idea being that some people will not have wanted their hierarchy to know they have applied.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
If it is anything like Tranche 1, you don't get told on the day, you get a letter a few days after. The idea being that some people will not have wanted their hierarchy to know they have applied.

That's exactly what happens, officially. One of the Sqn bosses at Waddo last time round made a point of speaking to every one of his people who was in the bracket just to make sure there was no ambiguity - and also so that it wasn't obvious to the whole Sqn when a non-applicant was called up to his office. That is by far the best way to do it in my opinion but not everyone sees it the same way.

The best advice for anyone who is waiting for news one way or the other is to make sure your boss knows how to get hold of you on Tuesday. That way, if you don't get the call, you're in the clear.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Yes HTB this workshop is some sort of sick joke!
We did an exercise as a group of 12 where we read 3 stacker SAC SJARs and placed them unanimously in order 1 to 3. The zob running the show said well done you all came to the right conclusion, then she revealed that 2 of the reports were boarded somewhere over a 100 whilst the report we had all put 3rd came off the board top 5. Then they expect you to take the rest of the course seriously!

Our SJAR course didn't run like that.

We were split into four teams, told to read through the assessments for 5 stackers and were given 40 minutes or so. This simulated the amount of time the Pre-Board get to read through three years of assessments for each individual.

Each team then announced where they would have graded each person. All teams agreed that one particular bloke was last but the other four were placed differently by each team.

As I said in an earlier post, this reinforced that the spiel in your SJAR should be straight to the point (no fluff or big words) just simply say that Cpl Blah proved his ability in this area when he carried out task x to a high standard. It doesn't need William Shakespeare to write them... just good comments backed up with good examples. However, if your 1st RO insists on using flowery language and big words it doesn't help you!

One example was 'SAC x is like a Rottweiler'. Does this mean he is tenacious... or that he attacks young children?!

Anyway... what about this redundancy lark?!

HTB

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
And words that are not made up, like 'Humbrage'? :)

I took it to mean that he meant Umbrage?

noun
offense; annoyance; displeasure: to feel umbrage at a social snub; to give umbrage to someone; to take umbrage at someone's rudeness.

But me being a Northerner... I'd have spelt it without the H anyway! :PDT_Xtremez_30:

HTB

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Each team then announced where they would have graded each person. All teams agreed that one particular bloke was last ....

....proving conclusively that $hit sticks better than cream, when it comes to literary prowess.

There is another way, but suffice it to say that the services probably lack the maturity and more importantly, would not dedicate the time to implement it. I understand this; it's an army world and that tacitly makes the system cater to the lowest common intellectual denominator as the first RO, but it's wrong none the less in a more sophisticated environment.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I took it to mean that he meant Umbrage?

I know what he meant, and I know what umbrage means, I just found it funny that in a post where he states his 1st RO is rubbish at written English and he had to correct him, his own English is on the poor side.

I have had a similar complaint leveled at me, apparently I was not being fair to the bloke I was assessing and he was not happy. Fortunately I resolved the situation without having to rewrite anything. I just told him what the words meant. (and they were not big, clever words either)

One example was 'SAC x is like a Rottweiler'. Does this mean he is tenacious... or that he attacks young children?!

I, like you, have never got people who use similes and metaphors, if you want to say the bloke is tenacious then write 'SAC X is tenacious in the pursuit of his duties blah blah' In my experience it is overused by those with a limited vocabulary who are trying too hard.

Kingpin

SAC
I, like you, have never got people who use similes and metaphors, if you want to say the bloke is tenacious then write 'SAC X is tenacious in the pursuit of his duties blah blah' In my experience it is overused by those with a limited vocabulary who are trying too hard.

if you want to say the bloke is tenacious then write 'SAC X is tenacious.

Adding the phrase, "in pursuit of his duties", is merely a 'filler' and is not needed. Save the space for examples and info that will help the board.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
if you want to say the bloke is tenacious then write 'SAC X is tenacious.

Adding the phrase, "in pursuit of his duties", is merely a 'filler' and is not needed. Save the space for examples and info that will help the board.

In the context as written it is a bit of a filler yes, sorry :)

I was more meaning when you are using it to link on to an example, he might not be tenacious in pursuing work stuff, it might be charity stuff, T Bar debtors etc.

I have always been slightly guilty of using the non essential word or phrase to make the sentence flow better. I have read examples where only core statements have been made, but to me they seem stilted, and just a collection of statements, not my impression of an individual. It might be right, might be wrong, but as I no longer right SJARS, I cannot change it now :)

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Some good posts there but think we've done SJARS to death now and with less than 48 hours to go we should get back on track!

Anyone else nervous?

Back